Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If great technical marvels intrigue you, then this 3 min video is for you! It has incredible sight & sound editing and enhancement like no other historical launch sequence video I've ever seen. I have a 24" computer monitor with an Altec sound system with headphones, and this video gave me goosebumps. This is just one of many reminders why we are proud to be an American.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViNcBQ8cDA0

·
Native Mainiac
23,833 Posts
What always amazes me is how a rocket that big and starting out so slowly can remain upright during the initial phase of the launch. I've always wished I had a chance to see a Saturn V launch in person since I used to watch them on the old black and white TV.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
What always amazes me is how a rocket that big and starting out so slowly can remain upright during the initial phase of the launch. I've always wished I had a chance to see a Saturn V launch in person since I used to watch them on the old black and white TV.
I haven't watched the video yet and this is probably in it... but my understanding is that the engine nozzles were actually on "gimbles" or hinges and moved all over the place during launch to keep the rocket straight. You can see the nozzles moving in some of the various videos about it.

Having read that... it still amazes me that the rockets didn't just fall over. With my own youthful experimentation with rockets (well, illegal fireworks...) half of them seemed to just go wherever they wanted!

·
Descent Terminated
33,557 Posts
The question was 'whether the Saturn was gonna go up ... or Florida was gonna go down' ..... :supergrin: .... :eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I haven't watched the video yet and this is probably in it... but my understanding is that the engine nozzles were actually on "gimbles" or hinges and moved all over the place during launch to keep the rocket straight. You can see the nozzles moving in some of the various videos about it.

Having read that... it still amazes me that the rockets didn't just fall over. With my own youthful experimentation with rockets (well, illegal fireworks...) half of them seemed to just go wherever they wanted!
If you want to see rockets flopping over, check out the Vanguard rockets.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
What is mind blowing to me: 12/17/1903 to 7/20/1969. In less than 66 years we went from a 12 second airplane flight to landing on the moon.
My dad was alive for it all.

·
Descent Terminated
33,557 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
29,340 Posts
Reactions: aircarver

·
Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking
2,784 Posts
My Dad worked at Bay St. Louis for GE/Boeing/Air Products, they would static test the stages prior to barging the stages to Fla, I assume.
He brought me a "Remove before testing" flagging from a stage, wish I knew where it was1
We lived in Slidell, La in the middle 60's.

·
Descent Terminated
33,557 Posts
For some strange reason, the Rooskies don’t have Range Destruct packages on their missiles.

:crazy:
Da .... Downrange peasants expendable ....

:eek:uttahere:

·
Native Mainiac
23,833 Posts
What is mind blowing to me: 12/17/1903 to 7/20/1969. In less than 66 years we went from a 12 second airplane flight to landing on the moon.
For sure the greatest period of technology ever. People like my grandparents went from horse and buggies to man on the moon, and from telegraph to television. From medical "tonic" to heart transplants. Have a feeling we kind of peaked and on the downhill slide now.

·
Descent Terminated
33,557 Posts
For sure the greatest period of technology ever. People like my grandparents went from horse and buggies to man on the moon, and from telegraph to television. From medical "tonic" to heart transplants. Have a feeling we kind of peaked and on the downhill slide now.
... an' I hep'd ...

(Worked for Pall Corp. [ filtration devices for Saturn ] and Fairchild Republic [ Tail assembly for Space Shuttle ...] )

·
Señor Member
645 Posts

Most rockets don't have any closed loop control until they clear the tower. For those first critical seconds it really is just trying to clear the tower before the thing falls over.

·
Glock Fanboi
2,468 Posts
I have always understood the reason we got to the moon instead of the Russians was that OUR German scientists were better than Russia's German scientists.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts