close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good laptops--what brand

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by iholla, Mar 14, 2007.

1. iholla

iholla

Hey laptoppers--- Im really looking into another laptop and the
    Toshibas look really good with the 17 widescreens. The P105 series is what Im wanting! Anyone have toshibas and like them?

2. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

Depends on what you want them for. If it is durability and reliability, go IBM. If it's gaming/power, go Alien Ware.

3. grindchug

grindchug Motörhead

4. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Just recently acquired several Sony VAIOs, HPs and Toshiba Satellites, all with Core 2 Duos and 2 GB for the traveling folks. Haven't had a lick of trouble with any of them and the folk using them are happy with them.

My only criticism; the Toshiba's lids have a too-flexible shell over the LCD ... I can see piling something on a closed notebook and damaging the screen. Sony and HP lids are more rigid.

Good luck, mi amigo.

5. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Few years ago I would have said IBM thinkpad.

Dell seems to be the only ones I can recommend.

6. Philipp2

Philipp2

Look very closely at the screen size. Bigger may not be better, depending on you use of the laptop. My Toshiba has a 15.4" widescreen and it is great for use as a second home computer, but a little large for full time portability. Depends on your use: Watching videos = Bigger; working on spreadsheets / word documents, a smaller might suffice. YMMV

7. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

I love my Acer. Rock solid.

8. DiverDn

DiverDn Diver Down

I'm guessing since you want a 17" laptop that you are not going to be on a plane with it, because they are a beast to open (at least in business class I can't speak for first class because I never sit there).

I have had a lot of experience with Toshiba and overall they are good computers. They are innovative and for the most part build a solid unit.

I cannot say the same thing about their customer support, they are admittly one of the worst in the industry. But if you are tech savy and/or will be taking it to a local dealer if it breaks down, then I would say go for a Toshiba.

Check out this link for a review of the P105
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3093

9. neeko

neeko

Thinkpad T43p

10. dozing4dollars

dozing4dollars Plasticized ! CLM

I had a Sony Vaio for years-pricey but bulletproof.

I have two Toshiba laptops-(1)one that is 18 months old and a workhorse with no problems at all. It is a really low-end Celeron M unit.

(2) The other Toshiba is a nearly new Duo that has been problematic from the get-go. At about 5-6 weeks old , the hard drive failed in it and recently the battery failed in it. Needless to say, I am disappointed in this latest Toshiba purchase. BTW, both problems were covered by warranty fairly quickly by Toshiba.

I would rate Toshiba's tech support at GOOD...I knew exactly what was wrong with each component and was able to quickly define the problem and seek solutions from Toshiba. If you do not possess any tech skills, you may have more difficulty dealing with their Tech Support which I think is based in India ??

YMMV:)

11. iholla

iholla

Still looking and I thing I found another one at Costco! Its an HP 9000 series. It has 17 widesreen/2-meg ram/dedicated graphics card/core 2 chip/Lightscribe CD-Rom/ect..... seems like a great deal and I have heard great things about HP as well! Plus 3 month return policy with Costco is a plus!

12. FDC

FDC

Just bought my second Dell about 15 minutes ago from the Dell outlet store(searching by previously ordered/new). Being .mil, I use a crapload of Dell stuff. I've rarely have hardware problems due to NORMAL use.

My personal Dell Inspiron laptop is still running strong after 4 years.

13. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

HP makes a very good laptop for $1049 at Best Buy:

dv9208nr
    AMD Turion™ 64 X2 mobile technology TL-50; 1GB DDR2 memory; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; LightScribe labeling; 17" widescreen; 120GB hard drive; Windows Vista Home Premium

The screen is beautiful, the CD/DVD laser scribes a title on the CDs and DVDs and it is just an all around great laptop.

14. grindchug

grindchug Motörhead

Hopefully Dell's customer service has gotten better.. I had an inspiron, it was a POS. One day the power supply actually caught on fire and they made me pay for a replacement.

15. G19ultimate9

G19ultimate9

I would recommend HP's business class notebooks, not sold at Best Buy or Circuit City. I have the NX9420 and it's a great laptop. The quality in the build is evident.

16. fludy12

fludy12 Fling Wing

I've had a Fujitsu Lifebook for three years and it's been outstanding. Especially for travel. Very durable and small! It's the P5020D model to be exact.

17. iholla

iholla

Well I picked up my new HP 17" widescreen from costco today--simply amazing, I like:banana:

18. iholla

iholla

Ok quick question--just got my laptop with Vista and noticed that when
    I right click on a webpage (even this one) All the options come up
    Back/select all/create shortcur/add to favorite/ ect.....BUT, BUT I
    cannot select any of it??? can you guys select it?

19. Glock&Schpeel

Glock&Schpeel

Dell makes a decent laptop. However, a good friend of mine swears they donate heavily to the anti-gun crowd and are a very anti-gun company. For that reason alone he buys Gateway.

I personally believe the best is still the IBM Thinkpad line . . . I heard the military uses them in the field. They're solid in and out. I've owned several and when I buy again, it will most likely be a Thinkpad. They shine as a smaller, lighter, businessman's machine. The HP series are very good as are Sonys. Those shine as larger, heavier desktop replacements. Of course most companies have lines that cater both ways but you will need to choose by your planned uses.

I would stick to the top names with a laptop and buy the most you can afford at the time as they are not as nearly upgradable as the desktops (including the operating system). I'm not crazy about Toshibas because every time I see a sample in a store it has keys missing. Kind of silly but It's literally been every time. Maybe they're just the easiest to pull off, I don't know!

Be careful if you plan on shopping on Ebay. Laptops are a hot target for scammers. Those accounts that they hijack . . . the ones with 100% great feedback so you think are safe . . . that's the item they sell. I know two people who were involved in THREE fraudulent laptop purchases on ebay and ubid (back when ubid allowed private parties to sell).

20. iholla

iholla

Dont know what I did but its all working perfect now:) Man I lov this display and speed!