close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good hunting rifle for father?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by charlieschoice, Jul 30, 2004.

1. charlieschoice

charlieschoice

Would like some thoughts.

My dad is pushing 75 years in age. Currently he hunts whitetail deer up in Pennsylvania. He currently owns a Remington .30-06 pump with a 3x9 variable scope (had it for the last 20 years).

If he doesn't need somthing, he won't buy it.

He won't admit it, but the gun is getting to heavy for him, and he's having problems with the scope as far as "sight picture" (aquiring the target).

He's shot my .45-70 (he didn't care for the recoil though) with Ashley outdoor sights and loves the sights. He most likely won't be shooting anything over 100 yards.

Was thinking about surprising him with a new hunting rifle.

Would like somthing with minimal recoil, on the light side in weight (I realize that this could be a "catch 22"), and somthing that has good "open sights".

Not sure if Ashely makes anything for bolt action rifles.

Was thinking about maybe a .30-30 lever action, or somthing in the lines of a Remignton LTR in .308 or somthing in the line of a .243 (I'm not sure if this would be "pushing it" for whitetail).

Any thoughts on what I should look at? Any opinons would be welcome.

Thanks.

2. noway

noway

How about a Savage model 12. These are pretty decent and affordable and weights in at 9 1/2 lbs. They have them in .243 thru 308win an upto 26" barrels. Not sure how much the 30-06 weighs but this should be lighter or close to it. If you get rid of the pump-action an get a simple bolt-action rifle it should be lighter from just that aspect alone. JMHO

3. tjpet

tjpet

After my Dad hit 75 the recoil from his .270 started getting to him. For his birthday the next year I got him a used Ruger 77 6mm w/3x9 Leupold scope. He's never looked back since.

At 80 he shoots better then ever and will even go out varminting with me in the off season. He's still amazed that such a small "woman's" caliber can be such a good killer. For BG I stoke it up with a handload built around the Nosler 100gr. Partition @ 3000fps. So far the gun's been used for numerous deer, antelope, and two black bear.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Ashley (now express sight systems) makes ghost ring sights for all the major bolt guns. If you stick with the common makers like Remington, Savage, Winchester and Browning, they'll have it.

.243/6mm are nice and light in the recoil department and definately do the job. If he wants some more ooomph, the .260 rem has mild recoil as well and is a bit bigger.

5. Dieseler

Dieseler Temet nosce

What about an SKS? Cheap, simple, reliabile, fairly accurate, and can have a scope mounted on it. 7.62x39 is supposed to be about the same as a 30-30 for ballistics. Good enough for deer under 150yrds.

6. charlieschoice

charlieschoice

Thanks for the input.

I didn't realize that ashley had changed thier name, and also wasn't aware that they now had sights for Bolt action rifles. I figure this sight is the best option due to my fathers eye sight (although he dosen't wear glasses), and all of his deer have been taken under 100 yards).

Probably will look at the savage line in the .243 (have a .22-250 and love it).

I'm not certain, but I think semi autos are illegal for hunting in Pa. (which would nix the sks).

Will I need a competent gunsmith if I go with the Ashleys? (the sights for my .45-70 Marlin went on real easy by myself).

Of course I'll call Express sight systems Monday, but was wondering from personal experience.

I appreciate the input.

Thanks.