Glock Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mas,

I'm new gun owner (Glock 22) and I'm thoroughly confused about home defense ammo. For me, the best ammo to use would have great stopping power and reduced risk of over-penetration (through the intruder and the drywall) as I live in a townhouse with family in a very urban area. Unlike the police, my rounds won't need to reach into a car through steel.

Can you name some specific .40 ammo's (including manufacturer) that might work for me? Cost isn't an object in that I practice with cheaper Winchester White Box .40 180 grain FMJ ammo.

Thanks in advance!

John

·
KoolAidAntidote
6,080 Posts
Welcome to Glock Talk, John, and welcome also to the Gun Culture.

Alas, there are no "magic bullets" or "smart bullets" that WON'T punch through something as weak as sheetrock, but WILL punch deeply enough into a large, homicidal human's body to make him incapable of hurting innocent victims.

There are many "frangible" bullets out there but many will still punch through walls, particularly on straight-in entry angles. Many of them won't give enough penetration to stop a determined attacker who has to be shot on an angle unfavorable to the shooter.

To make the best of this, I suggest strategy instead of hardware. Scope out your home carefully, try to determine the most likely place where you'd interdict a violent home invader, and make sure you've reinforced the wall behind where he's likely to be with something like big cartons of books, or something else that can stop bullets. Alternatively, find an angle where you'll be able to fire without a missed or over-penetrating shot going into a room occupied by innocents.

In the .40 S&W cartridge personally, I'm partial to a 165 grain JHP at 1140 foot-seconds, or a 155 at 1200 feet per second. If over-penetration is a particularly high concern, some of the boutique ammo makers offer 135 grain .40 JHP at 1300 foot seconds or faster, which tends to make a shallower (10" in gelatin) but wider wound.

best,
Mas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your cogent recommendations Mas. After reading more of your work, I'm coming to the conclusion that no bullet is going be that magical. I'm hoping to learn more about optimizing my tactics when I take your MAG 40 course in May.

But I do have to put SOMETHING in those magazines though.

I see that there's a Federal "Premium" .40 S&W 165 grain JHP but the velocity is only 980 ft/sec. What brands meet your specifications for 165 or 155 grain bullets?

·
KoolAidAntidote
6,080 Posts
165 grain .40 at 1000 foot-seconds or less is kinda "minus-P" and doesn't have the best track record in the field.

Current 165 grain .40 in Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger-T, and Remington Golden Saber will get ya where ya need to be.

best,
Mas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.