close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

good gun shows in eastern PA?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by JDSTG58, Jan 27, 2010.

1. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

I'm looking for good gun shows to go to in Pennsylvania. I'm from NY and the best Ive been to here is the one in Middletown NY with around 350 tables. Ive looked and found ones listed here:

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/penn.htm

Harrisburg has 800 tables
    Bloomsburg has 700 tables
    Monroeville has 1200 tables

Is the listed size of these shows correct? Is there other large shows I missed? Any help would be appreciated.

2. aubie515

aubie515

Harrisburg is larger than 800 tables...they used to advertise 2000 tables.

Some like the Valley Forge shows...they are normally one week after the Harrisburg show. Same vendors show up...biggest difference being that the vendors tend to charge more at VF because of the city folks from Philadelphia and NJ attend the VF show.

Keep in mind...some gun shows have a lot of tables, but half of the tables are airsoft and jerky stands.

3. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

I wish I knew....

"Good" and "gun show," in my opinion, are words that no longer go together.

I used to enjoy gun shows as a place to browse inexpensive older guns like Marlin and Savage, buy some obsolete ammo (like .222 Remington Magnum or .256 Winchester Magnum), and stock up on reloading components.

But lately I've not been able to buy anything at gun shows.

The decent older guns now fetch premium prices on GunBroker, leaving only the unsalable crap on the gunshow tables. Ditto for obsolete ammo. And reloading components are no longer a bargain at gun shows, since they know you can't order mailorder any more without incurring outrageous hazmat shipping fees.

These days, gun shows are a good place to see a lot of folks, including some that you really don't want to see armed, stocking up on overpriced, overdressed AR-15 clones, and buying cases of cheap Russian steel-cased .223 varmint ammo.

Given that they now charge a fortune at the door, and I am not able to make that back on bargains inside, I find myself skipping the gun shows....

-ET

4. bac1023

bac1023

Valley Forge and Allentown are usually half decent, but not overly big.

5. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

Is that outdoor expo in Harrisburg worth a hoot? I know it's not a gun show but I haven't been to an outdoor expo in years.

6. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

Thanks for the replies. I know, I know......... There are no "good" shows anymore. I miss the shows of the early 80's........ Even the small ones then had lots of good stuff. Not all the Air soft, Jerky, Bennie babies, arts and crafts and misc crap. But what can ya do? Its still a day out and there is the off chance you will find a deal...... In Middletown this last one I was able to find like new .30 cal ammo cans for $3 each. I'm most interested in C&R and reloading stuff. I went to the one in Albany last week and that one was OK. The only thing I was debating getting there was a 7.62 mark II Enfield for $290. It looked to be in "very good" condition, but I didn't know enough about it to know if the price was good or not. I let that on pass, as I'm trying to save for a CMP Garand. If there are other shows that are better than most, please let me know. Thanks again...