close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good Fantasy/Sci-Fi series

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Rocnerd, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Rocnerd

Rocnerd

I am always looking for a new series to read that is more than just the average sword quest and magic thing hack up some monsters and go home happy type of books.
    So, I figured I would give a synopsis of some of my favorites and maybe get some new ideas from you guys.

Lord of the Rings. If you haven't read it do so.

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Very long. Ten books to date with the eleventh due sometime next year. This series was excellent untill book 7 where it bogged down a bit. Though it has been good enough to hold my attention, this last book, 10, nearly lost me. I will still read even if 11 isn't any better because it is overall a very good series and I need to know how it ends after all this time spent.

George R. R. Martin. Great series, just don't get too attached to the characters because he isn't afraid to kill them off. He is on book four right now that has been due out for about a year now. At least two more after the new one are to follow. Another marathon series, maybe.

Terry Goodkind. Wizards First Rule started this series out and has been enjoyable up untill the last two books. I really liked the first six books, but the last two, the Pillars of Creation and Naked Empire were not up to the level of the others. It was like Goodkind got sidetracked and I keep thinking that I missed a book in the middle even though I did not. Three more books are supposed to finish up the series.

Robin Hobb. Everything I have read of hers has been very good. Reccomend it all. She has three different series; The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders, and the Tawny Man Trilogy (which revisits the characters in the Farseer books).

Stephen R. Donaldson. The chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I read these a long time ago, but was very good. There is the first and second chronicles, and Donaldson is starting a final chronicles series.

C.S. Friedman: The Coldfire Trilogy. If you like your books dark, then you'll like this series.

One more.

Elizabeth Moon: The Deed of Paksenarrion. I bought the trade paperback version which was an all in one, but I think it may be found as a trilogy as well. Haven't read anythink else from her, but this one was good.

Ok, I've preached enough :soap: what have you guys/girls been reading that you would reccomend?

2. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

3. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Fantasy: I like Daniel McKiernan - a nice LOTR universe, Raymond Feist's earlier work (esp. the Empire trilogy

Peter Hamilton for SF

Daniel Sawyer - his Hominid series

Daniel Simmons - the Shrike books and Ilium are great

4. PhiKappaTauOx

PhiKappaTauOx Meat Popsicle

probably my favorite series of all is the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (known for their work with Dragonlance). the series is 7 books long, and all of them are pretty good.

if you want a summary of the overall story, either look it up or PM me.

other favorites are:

Dragonlance: Chronicles (3 books)
    Legends (the Twins series - 3 books)
    Soulforge, and Brothers in Arms (Beginning story of the Twins)

The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind (8 books, with more on the way)

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (duh!) (3 books, plus The Hobbit and The Silmarillian)

Magician series by Raymond E. Feist (4 books)

Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Hayden (4 books)

and i'm currently reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (10 books with more on the way)

5. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

I would have to say in order I liked:

1. Lord of the Rings
    2. Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
    3. Shannara Series
    4. The Blue Adept series by Piers Anthony
    5. The Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony
    6. I just finished the Dark Elf Trilogy which was also good.

For Sci-Fi, which I don't read much of, I really liked the 3 book series by Roger McBride Allen starting with The Depths of Time, An Ocean of Years, and The Shores of Tomorrow.

6. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Have read all those you listed except Donaldson, Freidman & Hobb. No complaints with your assessments.

Try Dennis McKiernan's books about Mithgar.

7. Rocnerd

Rocnerd

I've been meaning to read the Mithgar series for a while now, but just never remember as I am browsing the shelves. What is the first one?

8. Don 'ol52

Don 'ol52

The Dune series -- including Brian Herbert's additions to Frank's originals

The Amber Series by Roger Zelazny

The Elric and Corum books by Michael Moorecock

9. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe On the edge

YES!!!!! Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever

or

Berick Half-hand the wielder of the White Gold Magic!!!!!!

I read those years ago. Still have the books in paperback. Strange, very strange stories. The (for lack of a better term) time dilation between the "real" world and "The Land" made for some difficult adjustments.

Donaldson is writing a new series????? IIRC, Covenant died at the end of the last book, right? So, how are the new books going to start?

As far as my reading.....

Currently reading the 1st book in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Finished re-reading the Hobbit some time back.

If you like the Covenant series or the Shannara series (I see them as more fantasy than "hard" Sci-Fi), see if you can find a trilogy entitled "The Riddle-Master or Hed" (yeah HED, not HEAD). I have the series in paperback in a box somewhere and just recently bought (re-bought?) the series in a single book. I'm going to re-read it as soon as I finish the LOTR books.

For harder Sci-Fi I like Larry Niven's "Known Space" series. Not a set series of stories, but many books that all revolve around the same "universe". Many of the books reference something from another of the books, that may not make sense until you read the "other" book. Then you go, "Ahhhh, so THAT'S what he meant!"

Stories in the series (from memory, so I know I'll miss some). Some are stand-alone books, some are stories from anthologies...

Protector
    World of Ptaavs
    Neutron Star
    Ringworld
    Ringworld Engineers
    Ringworld Throne
    Crashlander
    Flatlander
    N-Space
    Tales of Known Space
    The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton
    The Man-Kzin Wars, books I-VIII

10. Tvov

Tvov

Love the "Dune" series. I think I've read only the first four. Didn't a bunch more come out? I thought the first movie made about it was terrible. "The Jesus Incident" by Herbert was rather thought provoking. I think it was part of a kind of related series of books.

Also, was "Ringworld" (I think by Larry Niven) a series or just one book? Either way, it was good.

This may very well be a strange one, but I thought the "Mission Earth" series by L. Ron Hubbard was good, and funny (as far as I know, I did not end up joining a cult after reading the series).

I only read a couple of the books (wasn't really my style), but a friend loved the "GOR" series. Forget the author.

"Foundation" series, by Asimov (right?).

I am probably dating my self with this list of books, been awhile since I've read much scifi. I usually read "hard" scifi, but in high school friends and I were into the "Shannara" series. My basement shelves are full of books (I NEVER throw away books). Now you may have given me the bug to look through and read some (for the umpteenth time).

I have mostly been reading military history the last few years.

11. Tvov

Tvov

Thanks Lunatic, I guess "Ringworld" is part of a series!

That book is one reason why the "HALO" game caught my attention.

12. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe On the edge

Ringworld was a stand-alone book at first (at least as far as the three Ringworld books). It does, however, reside in the Known Space Universe.

After the book was published a number of readers (engineers mostly) wrote to Niven with their complaints about the book. Mainly about engineering snafus he had made. Well, basically he used that to write the second book (and in the process, "fix" some of the problems readers had complained about).

I'm not sure of how the third book came to be. I haven't read it (yet).

13. Cicero

Cicero

That pretty much sums up my top list - I'd delete Hobb & Jordan - too pretentious and full of themselves. Goodkind is on a ragged edge with me - I'm getting sick of the standard plot: (1) 2 main characters happy for a moment at beginning, (2) someone kidnaps one of 2 main characters or introduces life-changing event, (3) Other character pines away but manages to defend civilization in spare time, (4) kidnapped character / devastated character overcomes adversity & everyone likes him/her, (5) main characters often reunited at the end. And Rahl makes lengthy speeches on responsibility & freedom throughout.

Other good ones that I consistently go back to include David Weber's Honor Harrington, Weber & Flint's Belisarius series, and Flint's 1632 series.

14. jacquejet

jacquejet

Nothing holds a candle to Tolkien and the "Lord of the Rings". A pretty good case can be made that it is the finest fiction of the 20th century.

However, for lighter reading how about:

David Weber and the Honor Harrington books or the Dahak series.
    David Drake
    John Ringo

15. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

I read the foundation series as a youngster.

It may be time to start them again!

16. MIGlock

MIGlock

A great series that I love and I think that readers of this forum would appreciate is the "Repairman Jack" series by F. Paul Wilson. The first book in this series is called "The Tomb."

I highly recommend you check it out. You can get more info at www.repairmanjack.com it's not that great of web site but it sure is a great read...kinda like Glock...not that great of a web site, but one helluva gun!!

17. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

That is a tough question, since he skips around quite a bit with his chronology. I'd recommend the Dark Tide trilogy (now all in one book) first, since it sets up the world the best, then follow that with the Silver Call duology (in one book as well, IIRC). Just note that the Silver Call was written first, and is a thinly veiled take on Middle-Earth dwarves retaking the Mines of Moria after LOTR. McKiernans other stuff is wholly original (except where it has to tie in with the Silver Call), but is grounded in a Middle-Earth type universe. Once you are past those 2 books, you can read what ever you want, thoug some of the books are sequential. I recommend DragonDoom as an excellent stand alone novel. You could read the books chronologically (I'm sure a title list in the proper order is out there somewhere), but I feel that his strongest works are the ones listed above, the others rely on you already liking Mithgar to really enjoy them, IMHO.

Peter Hamilton is THE sci-fi author of the past decade. The Nights Dawn series is absolutely stunning, and his stand-alones and dectective novels are equally good. Weber and Ringo are good, but Hamilton has a vision equalled by none since "Mote in God's Eye" and who ever did the Dragon's Egg books.

18. Rocnerd

Rocnerd

As far as the new Donaldson series goes I believe it starts out with the woman who was in the second series. Not sure if Thomas Covanent makes a reappearance or not.

Thanks for the recommendation for Mithgar. I am going to Barnes and Noble tonight to get something and will look for The Dark Tide book/books.

Anyone read Lloyd Alexander's The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron (I think Disney made a movie from that one), etc? Of course I read them when I was a kid and they are definitely childrens books, but they got me into reading fantasy, Alexander and Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series. Great Childrens books to compliment C.S. Lewis.

19. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Lord of the Rings
    Thomas Covenant
    Dark Tower

Mordant's Need has two books, that I know of...
    The Mirror of Her Dreams
    A Man Rides Through
    Central character is Terisa Morgan.
    Read them in the 80s.
    Forgot how they fit with Thomas.

20. Croaker

Croaker 0369/8532

The Black Company by Glen Cook.

Croaker