close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good defense caliber...

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by -, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Guest

Hi BoGs! My question is that which is a good defense caliber for a Glock here in the Phils? I think that .40S&W isn't very good here because we shoot a lot of lead reloads since factory ammo is expensive. How about the .45 and 9mm? Are they also affected with the .40 Glocks thing? The primary purpose for this caliber is for defense and competition is a secondary purpose. (Shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot diba?) :cool: Thanks in advance.

2. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

3. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

hi ian_g; if you cant decide between 9mm, .40sw and .45acp why not get all three:) well actually it depends on how you will use the gun. as for reloads with both lead and tmj bullets my g21 bulges some of the armscor brass, no problem yet with hornady brass or factory ammo. the g34 is fine with reloads(maybe because of better support?) but i still clean the barrel after 100 round of lead.

4. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

To my addled mind...

The less-than-total case support offered by a Glock chamber would seem to favor using cartridges operating at fairly low case pressures. So, standard-pressure .45 ACP might present less risk of kB than standard pressure 9mm Parabellum. But what do I know?

Maybe the more experienced members of the forum(s) can chime in.
    In terms of defense-cartridge capability --9mm vs. .45 is a book's worth of discussion unto itself, hehe.

horge

5. 9MX

9MX Rei!

it will be the G17 for me. imho, any caliber would be suitable for defense if it is combined with marksmanship skills and presence of mind;)

just my....not even 2 cents worth

6. jundeleon

jundeleon

I think shot placement, more than caliber, is the more important thing to consider in a gunfight.
    But of course, a bigger hole is better.
    Whatever you shoot against the mother in law, errr, the enemy, make sure it lands in a spot that will incapacitate the target, quickly and effectively.

7. bulm540

bulm540

Still a shot placement issue. I'd rather have a .22 cal with 1,000 rds of ammo to practice than get a .40 or .45 cal wih only 20 rds.

8. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

There are usually two schools of thought on defensive shootings. One is the importance of caliber choice. The other is the importance of shot placement irregardless of caliber. Most subscribe to the issue of bullet placement. Remember the snipers' "one shot, one kill?"

9. Guest

Yes, but under pressure, I doubt that any of us can shoot as well as we do on the range so we need to have a little bit of firepower just incase we dont hit the A zone. ;) But the main part of my question is concerns using Glocks on lead and reloaded ammo. Do aftermarket barrels have the same accuracy as the orig glock ones? Mahirap kasi if you practice with, lets say 'this' kind of accuracy then pag change mo sa orig glock barrel for carry, mag iiba ang accuracy dba? ;)

10. bulm540

bulm540

Defensive encounters are usually pretty up close and personal.

11. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Earlier, I ofered an opinion based on mechanical safety (low case pressure for a Glock-type chamber).

If you're talking about defensive merits, then consider that cartridge caliber selection will affect

1. how many shots your handgun can deliver before reload
    2. accuracy --which is affected by recoil
    3. rate of fire --which is afected by recoil/muzzle flip
    4. accuracy & rate of fire --affected by muzzle flash in dark situations.
    5. accuracy & rate of fire--affected by training, which is in turn affected by cartridge cost and comfortable use

I agree that shot placement comes first, but the foregoing hopefully shows it ain't always as simple as a sound-bite.

12. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

The aftermarket barrel I am using - "Accumatch" - is just as accurate as the Glock barrel, and each is more accurate than I am. It came in fact with a screw-on compensator for competition shooting, but since I don't do competition shooting I don't use the compensator.

I guess if you are into competition shooting, you will be able to detect a difference. The aftermarket barrel might be more accurate than the Glock barrel, as some of them are made to be , for competition.

For casual shooting and defense, I see no practical difference. the aftermarket barrel can of course shoot both lead and FMJ, and anything, so it can be just left on as the regular barrel.

13. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

"Yes, but under pressure, I doubt that any of us can shoot as well as we do on the range so we need to have a little bit of firepower just incase we dont hit the A zone."

Let me add another variable into the equation : speed of reload.
    Right now, if there were an intruder in my residence, I would grab my G17 as it has 17 rounds of 9mm. But I am new with the S&W 686+ .357 magnum, and slow at reloading it, even with speedloaders, which are slow compared to slapping in a magazine. However, after a lot of practice, I'll probably choose the .357. One hit with that - shot placement again but there are seven rounds in the cylinder so good chance - will be enough. (Of course, for indoor shooting a .357 will really be loud and what a flash, but if there is really a BG in the dining room...)

14. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

I cannot say much about accuracy on barrels (that pertains to Glocks) since I've used only KKM, Barsto, Federal and the stock ones. As for accuracy, in a defensive situation, as long as I can hit a target in about 7-15 yards distance, it's enough for me. As for competition, you'll want to get more accuracy. Even the same manufacturer (i.e. barsto) can never have the EXACT accuracy he expects from his barrel. A certain day, a certain time, a certain condition and a certain person can easily change the accuracy result of the barrel he's built.

As for the concern on Glocks using relaods, Glock has specified in the manual that it prefers the factory ammo. As for experience, if using reloads on Glock, it is always cheaper in the long run to buy an aftermarket barrel (for durability whatever brand you may prefer).

15. Guest

So from what I have read, a Glock of any caliber would be safe of kBs as long as you use aftermarket barrels with standard rifling? So shooting a G22 or G21 is as safe as shooting a G17 with no kB problems as long as aftermarket yung barrel niya? :)

16. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Ian, this is the word from the Moderator of "Glock Forum" :

Rocketman

Forum Moderator

United States
    07 March 2003
    2933 Posts

Can I shoot lead in my Glock?

According to Glock, shooting lead is a no-no. Can it be done? Sure, but it requires the utmost in attention to the leading problems that Glock's polygonal rifling will cause. It will also void your warranty. Best bet is to get an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling.

Below is a very good sumation, by Deacon:

Theoretically, polygonal rifling allows the bullet to seal the gases better than traditional land and groove rifling, thereby increasing velocities but also increasing potential problems with bore-leading-induced pressure spikes. Lead particles from the bullets have no where to hide in polygonal rifling as in the lands and grooves of conventional rifling and with better bullet-to-bore sealing, serious pressure spikes can develop when the bore is fouled.

17. Guest

Ok thanks for the replies guys! :) What aftermarket conventional rifling barrels are available here in the Phils? Can anyone post the prices of how much they bought theirs and a link to the brand's website?