Good deal for newbies

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jaybirdjtt, Mar 27, 2010.

1. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423081

All you need besides this....dies, a loading tray, maybe a primer pocket cleaning tool, not much else. You would recoup the investment in about 500 rounds figuring 45 ACP costs. Maybe $130 total to get started. Shot IDPA today with a friend and I ran across this after volunteering to help him take the plunge into the dark and mysterious world of reloading.

2. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

That's the kit that I started out with. It comes with a primer pocket cleaner. Most people hate the scale and powder measure that come with it. They're both usable but upgrading them is a good idea.

The main complaint about the measure is that it is difficult to read. The RCBS 505 is a good scale upgrade. The big complaint about the powder measure is that it leaks, especially with ball powder. The Lyman #55 measure is a very good choice with the capacity to do both small and large loads, but they don't really like stick powders (powder cutting makes it hard to throw and leads to large variations). The RCBS Uniflow handles stick powder better, but separate rotor assemblies are needed for rifle and pistol loading.

3. chris in va

chris in va

I prefer dippers myself. Loaded about 3000 rounds this way. Once the correct powder grains are established, I just make a dipper out of shell casings.

4. jeffsmith

jeffsmith

Ah..i m not having a typical good output with that technique even the shells does show much impression with it...gotta look for another method...

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I started with that kit a few years ago and still use it. Does what I need and does it well. Lets me inspect each and every step.
    I only do 40 S&W and have not had a bad round yet.

6. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks for this! :wavey: It is much appreciated! I've been wanting to get into reloading .40 for my G27 for a while now. At this price I don't know how I could refuse.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I would still consider not getting that kit. You don't need most of what they give you for loading pistol. All you need is

Press, Dies, Scale, Calipers, and some way to measure powder (dippers, powder measure, etc). The Lee Funnel is nice for filling cases. The Lee Scale is worth avoiding if you can. It's servicable but it's a waste of money because if you talk to most people who reload they eventually got a better scale.

8. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Yes. I prefer RCBS products but for $82, it is a great way for someone who is agonizing over the cost of ammo, 45 ACP in a friend's case, to get into the hobby. Just looked at a website and an RCBS press was $100, scale was $79, etc. If someone loaded 500 rds and hated the kit, he could chuck the whole thing and still be at break even! Heck, Lee dies come with a dipper that will work for alot of loads. If the scale is a pain, you're only using it to set up the powder measure or make your own dipper. Loading 45 ACP, 9mm, 40 S&W, etc. is very easy and doesn't require a Lock N Load or Dillon. I think my first press was a C&H or Herter's "C" press that cost about $15 and I used it to work up accurate loads for 30/06 and 264 WM.
    Plus, at that price, it'll be easy to pass the "wife inspection."

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I guess you could buy the 90$ kit and then just buy a better scale. Your @ 145 ish then.