close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good day for a BBQ...(with pics)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G31, Mar 27, 2010.

1. G31

G31 Millennium Member

The weather is awesome today, so I fired up the "redneck" drum grill I made. I started at about 11 am by soaking the chicken in salt, sugar, black pepper, and garlic mixed into a gallon of water. Took it out at 2:45 and stuffed the inside with lemon peel I grated and some black pepper, then tossed it on the grill with some cherry wood chunks for smoke.

It took about 4 hours on the grill at about 210 degrees.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Needless to say, the chicken came out damn near perfect. What else can you ask for from a grill that cost me $20 in materials???

2. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Very cool. You should post some pics on how you made that one day.

:thumbsup:

3. moeman

moeman

I'll bring the beverages and stop by in 15 minutes... Leave me a drumstick!

4. zeke66

zeke66

I'd like to see some plans as well. Nice home-made smoker.

As a GA boy, lifelong 4th generation (at least) BBQ'er and self-defined "expert", I gotta tell ya that that AIN'T BBQing. Just like grillin' ain't.

It's smokin', which ain't bad at all ( I do a bit of it myself), it just ain't BBQ. An' all you TX clowns, don' go pipin' up 'bout how beef = BBQ neither. Don' wanna hear it. :supergrin:

Seriously though, I'd like to know the details of that rig.

5. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Yep, today was a good day to cook. I just got in from cooking 250 chicken halves for a fund raiser our PD sponsored for a local who is a deputy sheriff that had a stroke @ 49. They asked the FD I'm a member of to handle the prep and cooking duties. We had a great day.

6. major

major Rejected member

The man's right......that's smoking..... it sure ain't barbecue. Of course, lots of folks I know who cook a hamburger on a grill think they are "barbecuing" also....until I correct 'em.:wavey:

7. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Looks great but I'd be going nuts for 4 hours waiting on that food!!!

8. ronin_the_great

ronin_the_great

It ends up being sooooo worth it. Low and Slow, baby!

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

you dont start it when your hungry either ..

you make it coincide with when you plan to be hungry ..

10. G31

G31 Millennium Member

I know...I catch hell once in a while for the barbeque term...hard habit to break.

I did a thread on making one here:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14804389#post14804389
    It's easy to make, and you can google "ugly drum smoker" for good plans. The hardest part is the ash pan and coal basket. You also need an empty drum. If it has a liner inside, you must burn stuff in it until the liner is burned off.

Tools you need:
    Hole saw for bottom vents
    Drill bits

Tools that make it easier:
    welder
    sawzall (only if you have a closed head drum)

If you don't have a welder, you will need to bolt on the side handles and get creative using strong wire to tie the basket together. The rack is a Weber 22.5" I bought at Home Depot.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  11. GlocksterPaulie

GlocksterPaulie Perfectionist

Great job on the grill, that chicken looks pretty damn good.

Paulie:eat:

12. mayhem23

mayhem23 Far East Sailor

Hey, I like what you have there. After twenty years in the canoe club I bought a house in TN next door to a champion BBQer. I now know how to properly cook ribs. This year I'm working on perfecting the perfect briscuit. I once helped him make his sauce, but I can't dupe it. Summer is coming and happy BBQ to all.

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

14. Heckler&Koch

Heckler&Koch

How do you purchase an oil drum that hasn't been used?

15. GlockerMike

GlockerMike God Help Us

16. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

You ought to try spatchcocked yardbirds...fancy way of saying butterfly. You just take your shears and cut the spine out, then as you spread the bird apart, look at the cartilage on the breast line, slice just down the side of that and one side of the breastbone and voila, it pops right out. I usually just cut down the breast and do halves like in the pictures below, after seasoning with EVOO and my top secret rub. Nothing like a slow smoked chicken. I have a brisket on the Traeger that has been smoking all night, just broke through the elusive 160 degree wall, going to be a nummy lunch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

You would probably want to use one that was used in food service and one that you know the history on.

In other words, make sure you know what was transported in it.

18. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Mine was a fuel drum. As long as it's not toxic waste, you can use it. The main thing is to burn a few very hot fires for long periods of time. I burned 2 fires for over 4 hours each to "sterilize" my drum, then washed it out with Simple Green. No fuel or oil residue can last through that. If the paint doesn't burn off the front from the heat, make it hotter.

Not necessary to use food grade, because most have the liner in them anyway, but do know the history. Getting the liner out is top priority because it is not good to burn into your food. Try to find one used for oil, fuel, food, or paint to be safe. Here's how you can tell if it's lined:
    [​IMG]
    You can see it flaking up where I welded the handle to the lid. Any residue that doesn't burn off can be sanded easily.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  19. G31

G31 Millennium Member

As for finding a drum, usually you can look in the phone book for drum dealers and refurbishers. Other option is to try an auto or truck shop that uses high volume of oil...they usually empty out an oil drum fast. They may sell it to you. Another option is a farm-type store. They usually have feed drums. If you get an open head drum, you will be better off, as there will be no need to cut a lid off.

I recommend not using acid, or any non-alcohol, non-food, non-oil, or non-fuel drums because of safety. Some chemicals can bind with the metal of the drum and make it unsafe for cooking. Some can leave residue that may not burn or clean out easy.

I have another drum that had methyl alcohol in it that will soon be another grill.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  20. heliguy

heliguy

I tried building this one out of an aluminum trash can this winter. Couple of issues: the can is way too big and using a webber grate at the top doesn't leave enough room with the cover for anything other that a flat brisket. So waiting till Home Depot or Lowes gets the smaller half size aluminum cans in this spring. This one can double as a real trash can used with plastic bags so it's not just taking up space.....

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html