Good CAT food?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by PrincessCelica, May 6, 2007.

1. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

So I've been feeding my cat crap for the past almost 9 years. Ignorance is bliss and all. I have since wised up. I really would like to spend the effort and money to get her some quality food. Can anyone recommend a brand to me? Or even something I could do at home that would be reasonably quick would work too.

TIA!:wavey:

2. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

We feed our cat Purina cat chow.
    I don't think this feed has been involved with that Chinese pet food crap!!

http://www.catchow.com/

3. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Another Purina Cat Chow vote from me!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

5. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

I've been feeding my cat Purina "Kit 'N' Kaboodle" Is that okay to feed her? My boyfriend gave me the impression that Purina brand was crap, which is what got me concerned.

I don't think she likes it very much. It seems to be hard on her stomach since I've been cleaning up a lot of kitty puke since she started on this stuff. So I should probably switch to something else anyway. I'll get some small bags of what y'all have recommended and see what works best with her.

She's turning 9 in June, but to look at her, you couldn't tell. The vet's complimented me on her size.:thumbsup: Pictures I snapped just today of her helping me strip the bed.
    [​IMG]

6. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

ewwwww.. No Purina products at all. Please read the labels guys, by-products and alot of grains are not good. Here is a list of some quality foods:

Felidae
    Innova
    Serengeti
    Wellness
    Nature's Variety
    Life’s Abundance
    California Natural
    Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul

This is a very small portion of the good foods out there. Please be sure you are not feeding your animal by-products and fillers (excess grains). Brands like Iams, Purina, Eukunuba, Science Diet, etc.. are poor quality foods.

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

My 2 guys get:

Science Diet Oral Care (Milo, the younger thinner one is on this)

Science Diet Lite (Max, my tubby older one is on this)

My 2 boys for the most part just eat out of their bowls.......Max will sometimes eat Milo's, but Milo hates the Lite kind.......

It's worked out great. Science Diet is lower in Magnesium and that gives cats urinary stones and causes bladder/urethra blockages. (mostly in males)

8. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Science Diet Lite is one of the worst foods out there. It is just filled with fillers and by-products. I don't know how animals survive on this crap. They ever have to add a flavor to it!!!!!

Ingredients
    Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken Liver Flavor, Animal Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Soybean Mill Run, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

The little girl Goldie eats only dry and always has, Purina Complete or Inside cat formulas. Precious eats some dry but likes the newer canned Fancy Feast Grilled varieties and the Shredded Friskies with egg or cheese bits. I give them both a little shredded Baby spinach a few times a week.

None of which were part of the recall thank goodness!

:supergrin: :thumbsup: ;) :cat: :)

10. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

11. 10mm4ME!

10mm4ME! Guest

Listen to PJ. I also recenlty learned I hadn't been giving my dogs and cats the best. We just switched the cats from Science Diet to Felidae. Remember, just because the cat likes it doesn't make it good for them. If that were the case, I would eat nothing but bear claws all day long.

12. H-D&GLOCK

H-D&GLOCK Harley Rider

A lot of these suggestions are great, please just stay away from
    Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. This cat food has been the cause of death for at least 10 cats at the pet shop that my wife helps with. The owner claims that it was from fleas, but having a wife that has worked in animal care for over 30 years makes believe when she sits over my shoulder telling me to tell people not to use that food type.

13. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Did you notice a change in your animal? Coat; soft and shiny? More active? Less hairballs? Less eye boogers?

14. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

Now the challenge will be finding places that actually CARRY any of the brands you mentioned.:wavey:

15. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Your best bet is to find a feed store, or a mom and pop shop. The big names (Petco & Petsmart) only seem to carry crap. If you can't find a feed store then I would hit all the manufacturer's websites and do a search for local stores that carry their product.

Good luck!

16. mjb1

mjb1 Guest

Yes, please check out this site, and especially the "My Natural Cat" mix. I've been using this for several years now. Wonderful!

www.felineinstincts.com

17. Stillhuntn

Stillhuntn

Ours eat perscription Hills from the vet. Science diet is also good. I believe they are made by the same company and have not been affected by the recalls.

18. Ntrikit

Ntrikit Guest

We feed our's enriched Plutonium.
    [​IMG]

Actually, we feed her "Special Kitty" from WalMart.

19. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Actually, I think the Hills 'script is the only dry food that has been in the recall!

After feeding Science Diet for several years, we are feeding Kitten Chow right now. Nothing Purina has been in the recall and Fred can eat it (major sensitivity to certain foods). I fed them a diet of rice and liver, carrot and hamburger, green beans and tuna and occasional cheese for a few weeks until going to the Kitten Chow and they thought they were going to starve to death because their bowls were empty sometimes :upeyes: