Good bye to the .380 ACP

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Line Rider, Apr 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Line Rider

Line Rider

I'm a full time police officer. The following is a true story. I have shortened this to only the important details.

Serveral months back, while working night shift, I was checking out a suspicious vehicle that was pulled off on a deadend road. The driver of the vehicle was male about 6'01", 250 lbs. and built like a lineback. He was also intoxication. He was out of the vehicle taking a pee on the side of the road. I told him to zip it up and come talk with me at that point the fight was on. My partner and I fought with him for about 5 to 10 and finally arrested him.

Once we arrived at the station we had to fight this guy again. Finally, he decide he had had enought, he tell us that he was shot 2 months ago with a .380 in the chest. We're thinking "yeah right". My partner transported our arrestee to the county jail. When he get back he tells me that the guy really was shot. He had a silver dollar size hole in the front of his chest and a lump on back where the bullet had stopped under a large muscle.

Later in the week I was able to contact the investigator from the department that worked the shooting. Seems our guy was drunk while arguing with his girl friend. During the argument he put a .380 to his own chest and pulled the trigger. Not the smartest thing to do. After the shooting he walked on to the ambulance.

At the time I had two .380's a SIG 230 and a Kel-Tec. I've traded my P-230 and two other guns for a Colt Commander. But, I still have the Kel-Tec. The Kel-Tec doesn't get out of the safe too often. It's been replaced with a SW 642.

2. Dexters

Dexters

Did the guy go down or did he just stand there?

Was the guy was hyped up on something when he shot himself?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Interesting story, do you know what kind of ammo he shot himself with? Quality .380 self defense ammo will do a number on a BG with correct shot placement.

4. raven11

raven11

thanks for the real life experience, I hope I never get drunk enough to shoot myself

5. arclight610

arclight610

Solution to problem: Shoot twice.

6. Line Rider

Line Rider

Dexters seems that he was highly intoxicated. No dope that I know of. He did get on the ambulance on his own.

Cole125 as for the bullet I don't know what type it was. More than likely it was the cheapo ammo.

A .380 may not expand, but my .45 won't shrink, is the way I look at it.

7. Rancher

Rancher

Ok. Former LEO here. Working the night when a brother LEO from another agency shot with a .25 auto. He died on scene but transported anyway to the ER where he was finally pronounced. Was wearing a vest. Sucked big time. Any gun can kill or not kill. Shot placement is really the key. Sometimes just luck or bad luck. Seen folks dead from a .22 to the head and others with the .22 stuck between the skull and skin and I was like WTF? Just crazy crap.

Rancher

8. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Don't mean to call you out, but the bullet coming out the business end of your 642 will be just as anemic as the .380 if it doesn't expand. Quality ammo is important no matter what the caliber.

9. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Curious: where was he hit with the .25auto?

My father in law's detective friend gave him a .25auto from a suicide. The gun had only been shot once when my father in law got it. It worked obviously.

10. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

chest shot only hitting a lung can leave him fighting for a long time.

11. Rancher

Rancher

Neck, downward during a wrestling match after a short car chase. LEO was former HS star wrestler in his weight division. Shooter was a 15 yo. POS.

Rancher

12. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

You fought for 5 to 10 minutes?

13. HeliGlock

HeliGlock HeliGlock

Like alot of ppl have said. it is about SHOT PLACEMENT. 2 in Chest, 1 in head.= DEAD.

14. USMC Gunner

USMC Gunner

Last year in 2011 I took a .22 caliber round to the top of my head and had to walk/run to the hospital, just another example that guns aren't toys and should be messed around with.

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

So sounds like very adequate penetration, but poor shot placement.

Solution is to shoot like any other gun. Shoot until slide lock or he goes down, whichever comes first. Reload, reassess.

16. Caladan

Caladan

Thank you for posting that very interesting story. Kinda reminds me of the 16 y.o. male who was accidentally shot in the abdomen by his father with a .45acp while at a public indoor shooting range. The kid walked out to the waiting area and sat down, and waited for the ambulance to arrive. If I remember, the kid walked out to the parking lot when the ambulance arrived.

It's very interesting to see how well - and not so well - handgun cartridges do.....

17. JerryC09

JerryC09

I'm curious - if the .380 made a silver dollar entry hole in the chest and went through the bad guy far enough to make a lump in his back, why do you feel that the round did not do it's job? That sounds pretty effective, no?

18. Bob45acp

Bob45acp HandgunWorld

Another .380acp bashing thread? (or...perhaps it started that way.) People have survived .45acp, .357sig, .357 magnum and .40cal. The fact is, ALL HANDGUN ROUNDS SUCK!

People have also died from .22lr hits. The Virginia Tech shooter killed quite a few people with a .22lr although he also had a G19.

.380acp in Corbon DPX is a fairly mean round, I wouldn't want to get hit with. Same goes for Remington Golden Sabre.

19. Wyoming

Wyoming

"A .380 may not expand, but my .45 won't shrink, is the way I look at it."

:agree:

They make 9mm small enough to replace the 380 and there is a big difference between the two calibers.

20. arclight610

arclight610

I thought the Virginia tech shooter used a 5.7. Big step up from the 22.