Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew has an overprotective fundamentalist mother. She has controlled everything he has ever read or watched. She is starting to lose control over him. He read The Hobbit without her knowing it. He loved it but she won’t let him read Lord of the Rings.

However she asked me for some books for him to read. I sent him...

Princess of Mars
The complete Hitchhikers Guide
Call of the Wild
Stainless Steel Rat
Huckleberry Finn
Tom Sawyer

I want to send him Where the Red Fern Grows but he already wants a dog and she absolutely will not let him have one so that is out.

I don’t know if she will actually let him read them but we’ll see.

Any other suggestions that a normal kid should read?

·
NOT MOD APPROVED
8,680 Posts
Dune!

I also really enjoyed Tom Clancy novels at that age, if he's into military or espionage stuff, he'll enjoy them.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The Machinegunners by Robert Westall. And the sequel, Fathom Five.

Set in England during WWII.

Reactions: Batesmotel

·
Registered
961 Posts
Horatio Hornblower series,
Hatchet,
The Good Shepard,
The United States Marine Corps in WW2, there are three, possibly four volumes,
Chronicles Of Narnia, C S Lewis,
The Flying Tiggers, (Sam Kleiner),
South From Corregidor, (John Morrill),
Some classics, and some WW2 stuff, as that was what really interested me and shaped me to some extent. Learning what some of these men, (and a few women) went through is/was eye opening.

·
Banned
5,724 Posts
My nephew has an overprotective fundamentalist mother. She has controlled everything he has ever read or watched. She is starting to lose control over him. He read The Hobbit without her knowing it. He loved it but she won’t let him read Lord of the Rings.

Princess of Mars
Call of the Wild
Stainless Steel Rat
Huckleberry Finn
Tom Sawyer

I want to send him Where the Red Fern Grows but he already wants a dog and she absolutely will not let him have one so that is out.

Why won't she let him read lord of the rings?

It was written by JRR Tolkien, a devout Christian.

In answer to your question, here are a couple of recommendations:

-The Chronicles of Narnia series, by CS Lewis (the entire series is based on Christian themes).

-The Redwall series by Brian Jacques (not a Christian as far as I know, but his books have wholesome values and good life lessons). Books in the series include Redwall, Pearls of Lutra, Martin The Warrior, Outcast of Redwall, Mattimeo, and my personal favorites Mossflower and The Long Patrol. This series can be reached either in the order of publication, or in the chronological order of the books. Some of the books were made into an animated TV series.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall

-The Killer Angels, by Mike Shaara. Won the Pulitzer prize for historical fiction. Despite the scary sounding name, this is just a novel about the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. The (excellent) movie Gettysburg is based on this book. There is also a prequel (gods and generals - also made into a movie) which is about the early years of the War Between The States. Also, there is a sequel, Last Full Measure, which is about the latter states of the war.

-Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. A classic story about pirates and buried treasure.

-Basil of Baker Street/ The Great Mouse Detective novels: Basil is a mouse who lives in the house of famous British detective Sherlock Holmes. Basil the mouse is also a detective.

-The Hardy Boys novels: mystery novels where the main characters are two teenage boys who are amateur detectives. The original (classic) versions are the best. #1 (The Tower Treasure) thru #58 (The Sting of The Scorpion) are very good. After that, the newer books tend to be rather more violent.

-Nancy Drew series: basically like the Hardy Boys, but with a female protagonist.

-The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Series of novels about a British soldier in the Napoleonic era who starts out as a private and works his way up though the ranks, while having many adventures. Was made into a great TV series, starring Sean Bean.

-The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien: prequel to lord of the rings. The epic saga of the earlier ages of Middle Earth.

-Last of The Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper: Novel about the French and Indian War in the mid 1700s.

-Two Sieges of the Alamo by Robert Edmund Alter: historical novel about the battles of the Alamo.

-Ticonderoga - Story of a Fort by Bruce Lancaster: tells the story of Fort Ticonderoga in upstate New York during the French and Indian War, and the American Revolution.

-The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas. The sequel, The Man In The Iron Mask, is also very good.

-King Solomon's Mines by Sir Henry Rider Haggard. A group of British explorers journeys deep into Africa searching for legendary riches. Anything by Henry Rider Haggard is very good.

-A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens: tells the story of a greedy rich man named Ebenezer Scrooge, and how he turned into a good person over the course of one unforgettable night.

-The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emma Orczy: novel about a British nobleman during the French Revolution.

-A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens: A novel about the French Revolution.

-The Story of King Arthur and His Knights by Howard Pyle: epic saga of early medieval English King Arthur, his knights, and their adventures.

-Incredible Cross-sections - Castle by Steven Biesty and Richard Platt: non-fiction. Describes life in a medieval castle through a series of cutaway diagrams and pictures. Very cool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0681320192/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_0681320192

·
Registered
17,441 Posts

Princess of Mars
Call of the Wild
Stainless Steel Rat
Huckleberry Finn
Tom Sawyer

Any of Robert A Heinlein’s juveniles...

Attachments

·
Banned
5,724 Posts

What???

She won't let her son read lord of the rings, and she won't let him have a dog?

I'm sorry but she is just weird.

As her son gets older, she is going to have to get used to him making his own decisions.

That's how growing up works.

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
Sneaky question: what/which modern "devices" does he possess (assuming Plastic Wrap Mother allows him any)?

Laptop? (desktop probably not helpful if it remains located & used exclusively under PWM's watchful eye)

"Smart" phone? PDA? (gak, does anybody even PDA any more? ... so old, I feel soooo old...)

Thought: creative children can hide lots of independent thought activities on a device.... labeled "Puppy Pics" or some such.

I feel badly for your nephew.... PWM's parenting style is sooooooo 180 degrees from what was my own.

Reactions: DevinBreeding

·
Banned
297 Posts

Princess of Mars
Call of the Wild
Stainless Steel Rat
Huckleberry Finn
Tom Sawyer

A lot of the ones listed above are fantastic

Also:
The hatchet series - would probably be acceptable for his mother.
Tuck Everlasting
Harry Potter Series *favorite*
Enders Game

A kindle paperwhite so perhaps his over protective mother doesn't know what he is reading? ;)

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Don't think you could get it by his mother, but Catcher In the Rye is an excellent coming of age book. Probably too racy.
This would be my suggestion as well.

Reactions: Batesmotel

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sorry but she is just weird.
Yes! She thinks sheltering him is the right way to raise him.

Lord of the Rings deals with some heavy ideologies. If he is never exposed to it, he will never be corrupted by it.

But Enders Game was okay because Orson Card is a cousin. Go figure.

She is losing control over him as he realizes there is more to the world than she allows him to see. I’m trying to feed him great books as she will let me. He is going to grow up. If she continues to stifle him he will eventually become rebellious. That might not end well.

But then I got in trouble with the family because I taught him how to cook tortillas over an open flame. They were upset that he might burn a finger. A microwave is so much safer.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts