Good/bad experience with L.EO. trade in.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gretschdrummer1971, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Gretschdrummer1971

Gretschdrummer1971

Well, I tried to spell out this whole story in it's entirety but was waaaaaaaay too long. I bought a LEO G-22 from Cabela's for $349.00 without completely tearing it down because I was assured they had all been back to Glock for inspection and refurb. I took it home and upon firing it experienced problems. I took it apart at the range and found both block pins broken in half. While the range armorer was chuckling at my naiivety and doing the inspection I should have done he also found a crack in the slide at the very left rear corner in the frame rail groove area. I called Glock and gave them the serial number. They said they had never seen it after it was built and sold, definitely had not been in for inspection. I E-mailed Cabela's with that information and a bunch of pics and they told me to bring it in. Drove two hours fuming and rehearsing how I was gonna lay into these guys when I got there and fully expecting to drive home even more furious with a broken worthless gun. Pleasant surprise! After their guy looked at it and said "Yep! it's broke!" they set two 22's from the case in front of me. One was a brand new 22 marked $479.00, and the other was another LEO, this one a virgin, unissued and unfired marked $439.00. I took the cheap one because it had the departmental engraving which made my old one so impressive to the girls in the trailer park. :cool: Walked out a half hour later and ran 200 trouble-free rounds through it the next day. Just a warning to the dummies out there like me, which I'm sure there are very few of here, to closely inspect those LEO's before you buy them! I can't really give Cabela's knocks because they made it right, but it is something to watch for.

2. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

You got lucky, I will never buy a used gun, thats just how I am. BTW, that new price is awesome... what Cabela's was this?

3. glocknick

glocknick

i have got to say cabelas does seem to be run pretty well. i have order and bought from the store quite a few times from them and always been happy i did. there pricing is okay i would say a littel on the high side but i tend to buy most of their stuff when it goes on sale.

4. MainStreetIowa

MainStreetIowa

:sad: NOT something that's "normal."

Whether it's through Cabela's or GLOCK, it'll be worked out to your or anyone's expectation.

Broken pins? :wow: Certainly not something that's common or even "heard-of" with your gun.

Good luck.

5. MainStreetIowa

MainStreetIowa

You are obviously a newcomer to GLOCKS: they are as sure a deal as you will ever find as far as a pre-owned handgun goes.

Sure, you can pass up used GLOCKs; it leaves more bargains for the rest of us. :wavey:

6. Zatec

Zatec

Glad it worked out. I like Cabela's, too bad there isn't one in NY.

7. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I don't buy used guns, nor do I buy from gun shows.......I'm OCD and weird, and keep my round counts down to even the rounds fired at the factory. = ) Besides; it leaves more deals for the guys who do buy used. :wavey:

8. Gretschdrummer1971

Gretschdrummer1971

The store was in Hammond Indiana. The folks in the gun department are really class act people. Not your usual chain store type. I really should have made more of a point in giving them credit for treating a customer right. It really doesn't happen much anymore. They did develop a loyal return customer who will make a 4 hour round trip drive every time rather than go somewhere else closer and I emailed their corporate office saying as much, so I hope they got some credit.

9. CBennett

CBennett

I got one it was a Glock 23 it worked well.

10. Lotus000

Lotus000

Not enough people do this. I'm glad that you're one of the few that take the time out to let people know when others get things right.

Some might say that "well harf harf they sold him a bad gun in the first place they BETTER make it right" but heck, niceness costs you absolutely nothing.

11. oISHUTupNrocKIo

If shooting Glock for over 6 years is a newcomer, then yea, I'm a newcomer... but like I said, its a personal opinion I got, I never like to buy used guns, that way I KNOW I'm getting something thats getting used for the first time by me besides the factory ballistics testing of course.

12. MainStreetIowa

MainStreetIowa

You're missing out on some absolutely incredible deals. :)

More power to you..........I mean me.

13. oISHUTupNrocKIo

Maybe down the road like get used, but for my first few Glocks, I'm getting new. Nothing agaisnt Glock, I know they're on of the most durable guns in the world, thats why I like them so much, but it comes down to personal preference. If I see a really good deal like $350, I'll look into it, but if it's at a range of $450 used, nah, I'll pass, I'd rather pay the $30-50 for a new one.

14. viniglock

viniglock

Glad things workout. Making that 4 hours trip added to the cost of buying the firearm. So, it was like buying at full price.:crying:

15. tuica

tuica

I only purchase used guns - I enjoy the hunt for a good deal, and inspect them well. Never been a problem, and most pistols you find have been fired very little. Recently picked up a G36, made in June '09, perfect shape - for $410. Many great deals out there. Cheers

16. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I used to buy a lot of stuff from Cabelas but their prices have gone sky high. I think the phony ammo shortage started it.

Before you buy anything from Cabelas, go to http://www.amazon.com/gp/site-directory/ref=topnav_sad

Type in the names of whatever you are looking for then search. Amazon has connections with all kinds of suppliers. You will get the best deals. You pay one time, online and your stuff is shipped from whoever you chose.

Great prices on laser sights, rifle rests, binoculars, and LED lights.
    I don't own stock in Amazon, just want to save my fellow shooters some money.

Just for grins, go over there and search on "Glock".

The only drawback is no real guns.

17. Gretschdrummer1971

Gretschdrummer1971

Glad things workout. Making that 4 hours trip added to the cost of buying the firearm. So, it was like buying at full price.:crying:

And I got a brand new Glock.

18. viniglock

viniglock

Only if you have selected the new one price at $479.00.:whistling:
    It is all good. It could had been worse, you making the trip several times and gotten the same gun only but fixed or your money back.:wavey:

19. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

I have had great luck buying used Glocks. MY 1ST G29 was on a recall list.Traded a Taurus PT145 and a Tomcat no cash. Straight up trade. Returned to Glock and they did not fix the 1st time sent back and got a new Glock G29 5 mags and Glock light with laser.

Jan 4 bought a used 2nd Gen G22 for 300.00 traded for a NIB G20 and 165.00 OTD cash Jan 13.

If the deal is right I will buy a used Glock in a NY minute.

20. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

To answer your question, I picked up a used LEO G-19 (GS prefix) years ago to carry CCW back then. Hundreds of rounds through it, never a problem, saw some G-22's from my old department offered a year ago, different generation (3rd) from the one I was issued (2nd) but had Sherrifs Department badge on the slide, so two co workers and I bought one each at LEO pricing from a major distributor, my two co workers G-22's w/NS and 3 mags were 95% brand new.................mine had ROAD RASH on the right rear bottom of the grip. F^*K !, Had to re carve it with an exacto knife, and then said fugit and put a slip on over it. My brother a Detroit area Cop is using it as we speak. Then this summer, I found another G-22 from the department at a local show (same distributor I bet) and it just had some scratches on the left grip slide, giving it character, (I call it SCAR) so I bought it, walked around the show, came by same table where I had got the LEO trade in Glock...............whatta you know, there sits another MCSD marked Glock -22 (Dealer swears he didnt know he had it, last one he says)......long story short, 95% condition. He wouldn't take back aqnd switch the one (SCAR) I just bought and well................it too went home with me. Now my EDC is a G-27 LEO turn in, and I just bought a G-27 DETROIT POLICE DEPARTMENT unissued for my collection. so the deals and guns are outr there, some if they could only talk........I will carry the MCSD G-22 if trouble ever breaks out in central Indiana, the DPD un issued Glock is a safe king, and the G-27 and or G-19 depending on mood/situation, EDC.