Gonna be a cavalry scout, what can you tell me?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Trigger_Rush, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Trigger_Rush

Trigger_Rush Paladin

So what can anyone tell me that the recruiters and Army propaganda won't?

My little background: I'm prior service Air Force, served as a 2A031C Avionics Sensor Tech. Backshop stuff, all of it dull. Four years later, I want back in, but I wanted something with some more... excitement, if that's the proper word.

I've gathered that scouts get to use some pretty awesome guns and vehicles, are the first ones on the battlefield (listening to various branches/jobs, you'd think everyone dropped on the field all at once). Scouts also serve in demolition and anti-armor capacities on occasion. But foremost, they're the eyes and ears of the commander on the field.

That said, I'm confused how scouts fit into the picture with the war going on now. Watching the Army videos, they show scouts in a more traditional combat role. Varying terrain, forests, fields, water, etc. When I get deployed, I imagine it will be to a sandbox somewhere. How does a scout function there? Or do they just get relegated to patrols and housekeeping like everyone else? Or am I totally off base about how things work over there?

Outside of my concerns, I'd appreciate any stories, experiences, or advice anyone can share. Especially about the spur ride (I believe that's what it's called) I'd definitely like to know more about that.

Thanks guys!

2. JethroXP

JethroXP Good with a gun

I was in an Armored CAV unit, our scouts were basically like mech infantry, they rode in a Bradley out ahead of the tanks. I've heard of scouts using motorcycles and dunebuggies too. In this modern day of airborne drones and satellite imagry the idea of scouts almost seems antiquated, but I suppose somebody has to be first in line at SP. I would expect that you'd probably perform some forward observer type roles, calling in arty or air support. If you have to engage in direct combat that probably means you did something wrong since you can't do a good job being the eyes and ears of the commander when you are busy trying to become as flat as you've ever been to avoid the bullets whizzing over your head.

Good luck to you, and thank you for serving, again.

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD