Golfer's Elbow

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Aug 7, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD Guest

OK, so I've done it again. This time, I'm pretty sure I have golfer's elbow, even though I don't play golf. Both arms are sore, but right arm is worse. Feels like I bruised that little bone (the one that sticks out more) right beside the funny bone.

http://www.valleyhealth.com/images/image_popup/ans7_golfer_elbow.jpg

Too many weighted pullups and towel pullups. Had absolutely no idea anything was going wrong. I think I sent it over the edge with the extra grip work during deadlifts and bentover rows and from stretching it during a few light front squats.

Anybody know how long it takes a minor case to get better?

Another weird thing I noticed is that it hurts when I pull with my index finger and pinkie, but NOT with the middle and ring finger. I don't know if those tendons attach at different places or what. Any idea if continuing with pulling, using straps, and not using my index and pinkies might work?

Getting old sucks. Now, on to some active recovery...

2. proactive

proactive

Sorry to hear that, Brad. Can't go wrong with ice and rest.

3. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I've had it since March of '06. Only just recently found out what it was. The worst of it lasted only about two months. It's been down to the point where it doesn't hurt unless pushed on for over a year. I understand you can google it and find stretches that help. I don't think about it most of the time so I haven't done anything.

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Well, despite your self-ridicule, I was going to pile on with the you're getting old stuff, until I realized my shoulder was aching. Karma I guess.

Anyhow, I can't help, but will say that I get something like that from pull/chin ups and I can't do nearly as many as you. A neutral grip helped.

I also had a pain like that from bent rows, switching to a palms forward grip on those helped. Ithink you just have to find a grip that works. Anyhow, my minor case cured itself quickly.

5. DBradD

DBradD Guest

The disturbing thing to me is that I never saw it coming. I felt a little pain in my forearm near the tendon, but it wasn't bad and wasn't much different from normal straining to hold the load. Towel pullups are absolutely brutal on the grip also. I think they account for >50% of the problem.

I thought of another thing I added: standing ab wheel. I started working on standing ab wheel and there is quite a bit of strain in that area also from trying to hold my wrists rigid. I just added too many things at once. Dang I'm delicate!!

I think I've hurt just about everything now...

6. California Jack

Can't blame Xfit this time.

7. DBradD

DBradD Guest

LOL, that thought crossed my mind too. I'm disturbed by several things going on right now. My knee was hurting from DL and running, now my elbows. My left shoulder started hurting from burpees and pushups (but strangely enough, not HSPU). My lower back started hurting during my DL warmup a couple of times ago also, cutting that workout short.

Last night, I tried to do bodyweight squats and pistols after giving my knees 10 days +/- off. Felt fine during warmup and on the very first set, my right knee started hurting. Still hurting this morning.

I need to take a step back and regroup. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Ideas? I've been thinking this morning of taking about a month off.

I started thinking about other suspects like diet. I looked up info on anti-inflammatory diets, but they sound about like what I'm doing already. I eat tuna, so my mercury intake is dubious. I also drink some aspartame. I also cut my calories a little during some of that time and have done IF for some of that time.

Also starting to think about a systemic problem. My Mom has had rheumatoid arthritis since she was about 45-50. Hopefully just getting paranoid.

8. supadupamikey

supadupamikey Guest

hey DBradD, did you use to live in SWFL?

9. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Nope. Haven't I seen that L-Sit picture at the CrossFit website? Pretty impressive. My L-Sit looks more like a L-TrembleForAFewSecondsAndFall. :rofl:

10. supadupamikey

supadupamikey Guest

Well, I know your screen name looks familar for some reason or another...

Yes, thats my Crossfit pic as well. The great thing about still pictures is that you can't see the trembling ;) At the time I could only hold for a few seconds. It's much better now, but I'm more interested in doing a V-sit; its just that my hamstrings aren't cooperating. ;)

11. DBradD

DBradD Guest

http://www.prowriststraps.com/weight_lifting_hook_straps

Anybody have experience with hooks like these? My golfer's elbow appears to be here to stay, so I'm looking for another way to proceed with pullups and DLs. I need to only use grip strength for 30-40 lbf/hand and weigh 180. DLs are more of a problem, but I can come back to them later. Worth a shot? Which model? Seems like the steel ones would work.

12. California Jack

No experience with thse gizmos, but I most not undrstand youur elbow probelm.

13. DBradD

DBradD Guest

My elbow has no pain when flexing. All the pain comes from gripping or flexing the wrist.

My idea is to use one of these devices to relieve all or most of the grip burden so that I could continue on with pullups.

The big question is whether it's worth it. If I have a little collateral inflammation and it takes much longer to heal, then that's not helpful. Maybe that causes me to go from a month or two to 6-8 months for all I know. OTOH, if it takes a month or two to heal and I don't lose 5-6 reps off my pullups PR, then that would be a good thing.

I've been thinking semi-seriously lately about dropping all this "general fitness" or GPP stuff, resting for about 3-4 months just doing mobility drills until nothing hurts at all, and taking up PLing again. I never hurt myself PLing. Then again, I was <22. I don't really know how to re-start in a smart way. I try to read the Westside documents, but I haven't gotten much out of them yet--writing style is awful!

14. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Brad, as for Westdide; here's the Standard Template I use. It's all based on Westside but a simpler version. Some of the squats are hard to duplicate without all the funky bars though. But its a good basic plan.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/template.htm

Instead of those hooks, have you tried the regular strap type lifting straps? Basically just a strap with a loop on the end.

I use them for my Romanian DL's since my grip is still bothering me too. For regular DL I just use the alternating grip and chalk.

You can usually pick up those straps in sporting good stores.

Just a (cheap) thought.

15. DBradD

DBradD Guest

BradCR, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I tried the typical lifting straps, but they didn't take enough load off.

I'm a mess. A few weeks ago, I completed a really good workout with DL, OHS, and pistols, and felt great. Then I tripped over our dog as I walked up the stairs and twisted my right knee just a little. I heard an audible pop. It's been popping and snapping ever since and is slightly painful if I try bodyweight squats or running.

For the moment, I can do core work and upper body pressing without any problem. I'm just sticking with 3-4 core workouts/week plus pushing once per week. Mobility drills 5-6 days/week.

16. California Jack

Brad,

When i thought I'd had a similar pain, I was wrong. Mine was definetly when I started to bend the elbow, not just from gripping. Sorry to hear that.

Anyhow, I'm all for you trying PL again. Will your son train with you?

Perhaps you 2 should venture into OL.:banana:

Jack

17. California Jack

Oh yeah,Brad, IMHO, I think to re-start in PL you should follow Rippetoes 2 books. Pretty standard 5x5 protocols.

Save the Westside for when you need some sort of advanced periodization to make gains.

Ya know, if you PL and do some sprinting 2 to 3 times weekly you can get pretty studly.

18. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Donno. He's gotten into swimming over the last month or so, so has lost interest in working out. So goes life... I just try not to give him a hard time so he won't be afraid to restart.

I'm just chilling out for a little while at the moment, pondering the future, LOL.

OL? That's actually a thought I've had. I really think I had better talent for that than anything else I've done, but that was half a life ago. If I stay in Blacksburg, I should have access to folks who know how to help. Other college towns might be similar in that regard also.

19. California Jack

Does this mean you are planning to become a Professor?

I agree, I would bet that most college towns, especially those with good football programs you could pobably find some help.

How's the mood on campus?

20. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Probably. I have applied for numerous academic jobs already, but the competition is fierce. I am a strong candidate except for the lack of journal papers. Apparently, one can be a total idiot, but have a bunch of published journal papers and beat out someone who's great in every other category--publish or perish.

It's not such an easy decision for me. I could make a lot more money in industry and I have some very interesting business ideas. I taught Steel I last fall and did exceptionally well and had a great time. I really think that's my best gift. Usually, about 3 of 37 students enroll in Steel II, but 19 of my 37 did--totally freaked out the profs, LOL. They almost had to open an unprecedented 2nd section. As for research, I sometimes love it, sometimes could take it or leave it. The academic quality of life is hard to beat. There are lot of factors. I'd say I'm 90% sure I'm heading the academic route. If I can't get a job anywhere I'd want to live, then I'd go the other way.

I applied for a job at Lehigh that I think I have the best chance of getting. It's called something like Professor of Structural Engineering Practice. They want someone with significant industry experience to develop a new MS program tailored toward folks who want to design. If I've ever seen a job that was designed for me, that's it. I also have a fair shot at being hired here because of my teaching evals and because I can teach all the classes that two retiring profs currently teach. I'm also able to continue the research of one of them.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. It's a crazy time around here.

No clue. As a PhD student a year after finishing classes, I never go there.