Golden saber bonded 357 sig

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by GunsNweights87, Jul 15, 2020.

1. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

Anyone have experience with this round? Guy wants to do an ammo trade and had a bunch of 357 sig gs bonded is this an ok round as far as I have seen on ballistic tests it’s one of the most consistent 357 sig loads I have seen

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

2. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

What info are you looking for exactly?

3. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

Accuracy? Reliability etc I read a post here on Glock Talk from a few years back where a guy had issues with the rounds keyholing

4. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

I like it. Never had a malfunction. Ave 1420fps from a G31.

TGT and GunsNweights87 like this.
  5. fredj338

fredj338

If I couldnt get HST or GDHP, I would go RGS. It is accurate, runs fine in my two 357sigs & is pretty good in gel/wetpack testing.

GunsNweights87 likes this.
  6. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

I have gold dot and hst but a local guy wants to trade 200 rounds for some 9mm fmj this is a brass jacket correct? Kind of like hst as it’s more of a gold color vs the orange copper of the gold dot

7. unit1069

unit1069

HST, Gold Dot, or Golden Saber for the win in .357sig. In .357sig Golden Saber is only manufactured in the bonded version as far as I know.

The Golden Saber is a brass jacket, with the skivvies slanted a bit instead of straight cuts. Some folks claim that gives the bullet a "buzzsaw" effect during trajectory but I have no way to know.

I've also read the brass jacket is harder material than the copper jackets in other premium JHP rounds and results in a slower peelback of the jacket during its trajectory.

One thing I do know is that a lot of current and former LEO who are/were issued Golden Saber (standard pressure, +P, regular or Bonded) in multiple duty calibers claim it's an effective round.

If the trade is just FMJ 9mm ammo then I'd do it in a New York Minute.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  8. fredj338

fredj338

It looks like brass but not sure exactly what it is. The HP design in the 357sig is nothing like the 9, 40 or 45. It has a very shallow hp with short skiving.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  9. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I don’t think I’ve ever heard much negative regarding Remington GS in any calibers so it should be good to go.

10. DANGW

DANGW

+1. Golden Saber is very good no matter which caliber (maybe not 380?)

hannstv likes this.
  11. TNOUTDOORS9

TNOUTDOORS9

Bonded Golden Saber in any caliber is a marked improvement over their non-bonded. If Remington produced only bonded ammo, the GS would likely better compete with what are typically viewed as the more premium options.....Gold Dot, HST, etc. It's a nasty round and when driven to appropriate velocities, which Remington typically accomplished in my chrono sessions......it's a viable option. On the flip side, virtually 100% of non-bonded GS that I've shot into gel, water, or wetpack experience core/jacket separation. Faster loads had total core separation.

I for one would take that trade.

Deputydave, ejjeff and GunsNweights87 like this.
  12. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

How do you think this round would fair in a Glock 33 baby Glock? I seen your test with the Glock 32 it did amazing!

13. TNOUTDOORS9

TNOUTDOORS9

It will lose a small % of velocity in the G33 which might provide slightly better penetration, or the same as from the G32. Not enough of a variable to worry about it.

Deputydave, GunsNweights87 and ejjeff like this.
  14. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

Awesome I just went ahead with the trade

15. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I was curious about the core/jacket separation issue with their non-bonded bullets. With this being bonded it should really make an excellent round.

Just took a look at LG’s testing and it looks like penetration definitely isn’t an issue. Appears jacket separation wasn’t an issue either.

https://www.luckygunner.com/357-sig-125-jhp-remington-golden-saber-bonded-gsb357sb-50#geltest

16. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

It’s not the same bonding process as the gold dot I’m assuming? I wonder how mich harder the brass jacket is as far as barrel wear but I really doubt it will even be a factor as far as defensive ammo is concerned as I won’t be shooting 10000 rounds of it

17. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Back before the shortage you could buy it at a better price than the other premium brands in 357 Sig. That could be a factor "if" things ever return to normal.

Deputydave likes this.
  18. fastbolt

fastbolt

Back before I retired I attended a hosted gel lab day at a major PD where Remington was invited to demo their HPJ/BJHP (GS) line, both standard and bonded. The real demand among most of the attending agencies was to observe the standard (non-bonded) line.

The Rem rep told us that their bonded GS bullets were produced using shallower hollow point nose cavities to help control expansion (compared to the standard GS bullet), and the brass jackets were bonded to the lead ingot cores by use of a flux compound poured into the jackets. He also mentioned that some of the notching/skiving cuts and folds in the brass jacket could be adjusted to help control expansion.

He said they promoted the bonded line to the agencies who expressed a preference for bonded JHP's, so they could get a piece of that part of the LE/Gov sales, but the standard GS loads were very strong sellers for the company.

Throughout the day's range demo the only GS bullet that exhibited a jacket loss in any of the testing conditions (4LD & veh glass) was a single 165gr/.40. Well, there wasn't much interest in the middleweight 165gr load, anyway, listening to the folks attending from all the agencies.

The rest of them (180's) never lost a jacket. Not even when fired into a warming/used block in a rapid shot string, when the rep wanted to show consistency of penetration depth among a shot string, to finish up the day's demo.

Given my druthers I've always preferred the standard GS bullets in 9, .4, .45, .38SPL & .380.

I'd imagine that Rem engineers carefully adjusted their .355 GS bullet used in the .357SIG to provide the type of test results requested by the major users of the caliber when the caliber was more popular among LE/Gov.

pAZ Ron likes this.
  19. fredj338

fredj338

Brass is softer than steel, no issues with bbl wear. Most dont shoot their guns enough to wear a bbl enough to be concerned, regardless of bullet matl. I have bbls with 50k+ rds thru them, still shoot better than I can hold.
    Btw, in my p239, an older lot of RGS makes 1330fps.

20. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

I would have done that trade too.