close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Golden Retriever eating the house!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by stepper, Jan 25, 2005.

1. stepper

stepper

I have a golden retriever that absolutely eats everything! She is pulling the wood off the storage shed in the backyard. I don't have a utility room, so I keep her in the kitchen. She is eating all the wood work. Cabinets and the bottom corners of wood. We have white woodwork, so its now brown and obvious. She eats her bedding, and tears out all the cotton lining. She has eaten our cables that connect our a/c to the house outside.

She is very, very sweet, but I'm about the find her a new home. Oh, she just turned 1 on new year's eve.

Is there anyway to stop her from licking everything too! I've never had a dog that licks as much as she does!

2. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Stepper..........

This sounds like a total anxiety issue. You need to get with her vet, he will prescribe something to calm her. (like some sort of Doggy Prozac) It sounds alot like when a person has that compulsive/obsessive disorder (like washing their hands 200 times a day)

Are you leaving her alot?? I know some dogs freak out by destroying everything in their path.

The vet can help you.......and her!! Good luck!!

3. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

if you are leaving her alone for a while, keep her in a crate...

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

God, I feel your pain.

My ex-husband has a golden who was loving as hell but couldn't/wouldn't stop chewing and tearing up the house. Rugs, shoes, the back deck, the fence, the deck furniture...

He tells me she finally grew out of it after we'd divorced. That would make her about 6 years old. I'd told him the entire time to take her to the vet and put her on some sort of anti-anxiety med.

I have no idea what it is with this particular breed. Maybe they're predisposed to this sort of thing.

5. AAshooter

AAshooter

As SouthernGal sez, give her a few years and she will grow out of it.:)

6. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

chewing can have many different causes these are the two most common though:

anxiety: as mentioned she may not be handling you leaving very well. Best bet here is as mentioned is to crate train her. Do not treat the crate as a punishment but as her own personal space. She'll whine for a while at first but then calm down.

Natural chewer: one of my pups is a natural chewer, she was going after the same stuff as yours. A friend caught on that she usually was keying on harder items and suggested a hard chew like a nylabone. She now has several around the house and has not chewed anything since. Always praise when she chews this toy and make it a fun thing to do.

The hardest part in chew training is catching the dog in the act. this is where the crate comes in. if you are not able to be watching the dog then put her in her crate with one of her chews.

Alot of owners give up dogs due to chewing that just need a little working with to get them over the pattern.

7. stepper

stepper

She is home alone during the day. We used to leave her in the crate when she was small, but felt bad leaving her in there all day until everybody got home in the evenings. Thats why we put her in the kitchen. That is the only place in the house we can put her. The kitchen has 2 doorways that we close off with those child gates. We put dog bones, rubber bones, and rope in there and she still chews up the cabinets, bad!

When we leave her outside while we are gone, like I said, she just destroys the backyard! She is even eating our deck. I've never been able to catch her in the act. She is even eating our stockade fence.

I think I'll take her to the vet and maybe they can help out. I hate to get rid of her because she is so lovable!

Also, do these dogs usually lick more than other breeds? I've never had a dog that licks so much!

Thanks!

8. stepper

stepper

Is doggy prozac safe?

9. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

stepper....avoid the doggy prozac if ya can.

putting your dog in a crate while you are gone isn't cruel, especially if you train her to regard it as 'home.'

it certainly isn't as cruel as having to give her up because she is destructive...or being mad at her all the time for the same reason.

if she'll stay in her cage, do that. if she doesn't like it, try to crate train her...Golden's are great dogs, but like any smart breed, they need discipline, training, and love :)

10. Delta-x

Delta-x NRA Member Silver Member

Buy some really good chew toys from a pet store like Pet-Co. We raised a female Rottie in the house and she never chewed on anything but her toys (she had five or six). She stayed in the house for three years, then my daughter moved out and took her with her.
    At least try it.;)

11. Pug Puppy

Pug Puppy

Have her teeth checked by the vet.
    Cured my dog of chewing,