close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Gold" Grease In A New Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by -, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Guest

I have owned several dozen handguns in my lifetime including a couple of Glocks. I have always cleaned and lubed every gun I have ever bought before taking them to the range.
    Today (12-04-03) I picked up a brand new Glock 33, the shop owner told me I should take it to the in-door range behind his shop and "break her in". I was amazed, I told him I was going home to clean and lube the gun first. He remarked that you really don't need to clean and lube a new Glock until all the "Gold" grease was gone. Now I know this guy is a bit of a "flyer" and I really don't pay much attention to his unsolicited advise. What do you folks have to say, should I clean all the "gold" grease out and re-lube or run her like she is?

2. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

You should have paid attention to the "Flyer" because he was exactly correct.

By the way, can you tell me where the shop is, so I can know where there is actually a gun shop that doesn't disrespect Glocks?

3. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

It's regular old anti-seize compound. The "manual" says to leave it on but in my humblest of opinions it doesn't matter much. I used synthetic oil since day 1 and haven't had the slightest issue. Since it sounds like this is your first Glock in awhile, don't forget that Glocks don't require much oil. Check the manual for the important friction points that require oil and don't overdo it.--JJ

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

You would not have harmed anything by shooting it on the spot. I take it out myself as I have better lubes that I use but it will work fine.

5. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

The anti seize paste is ment to be placed behind break pads,i think Gaston must have owned an auto parts store at one time and just had an overstock laying around.
    Use real lube.

6. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Glock puts it in the guns so that if it sits for 10 years you can still open the box and go shoot it. Remember this was origionally a military contract pistol.

7. care-less

care-less

If you check with "top glock", you will find the stuff for sale. It is a copper based lube that glock recommends for use on their pistol. It is not the same as brake pad "anti sieze" compound. It's main and most important characteristic is that it stays put. However, I too wiped the stuff off and lubed it up myself. It wasn't until I talked to the guy at Top Glock that I thought to ask about that stuff. Oh well!!!!

8. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

I'll be happy to explain to any shop owner that you always clean the factory preservative grease out of any new firearm before firing it. If for no other reason but to cut down on gobs of firing-residue muck that has to be swept out after the first firing.

9. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

"Your Glock pistol should be field stripped, cleaned and lubricated as follows: when brand new, before the first time it is fired" Page 33 in the Glock owners manual.

The grease is a long lasting lube for guns that may sit in a military armory or distributors/gun stores shelves. It makes a mess and goes everywhere, I clean that crap out and and lube. The bbl is dirty on a new gun as well.

Also, a Glock needs no break in.

10. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

care-less,

I stand corrected if i was wrong,but it looks exactly like anti-seize brake compound,what is the differance between the two besides maybe differant colors?

11. AAshooter

AAshooter

What better lubes do you suggest??

12. j_ratliffe

j_ratliffe

Glock-N-Fun,
    it's the same as permatex copper anti-seize lubricant.

13. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Thanks Rat,that's kinda what i though.