Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone here had experience with Titanium Nitride and the Mirror finish look on glocks. I've been told mirror finish will require heavy polishing before the Titanium nitride coat goes on or it will.come out more matte and satin.. any experience. Thoughts or suggestions. Just found out about this and immediately wanted to do it to my 23 Gen 4! Thanks in advance!! Pics!!

·
MacGyver
7,604 Posts
Find a company with experience-- they will do what is needed to get to the desired visuals, obviously you are not trying to do this yourself. To look for examples, just look at the gold drill bits at your local hardware store-- run the drill bits through several cycles of use to see how they hold up.

The bling factor is the only advantage, as you will not be able to achieve any better coating than the stock factory Glock metal treatment, nor is the TiN better (or worse) than the current Gen5 nDLC pvd coating. You are basically spendng money for the bling.

In fact, the processing of the metal to achieve the desired effect may require damage to the existing surface treatment-- ie the nitriding of the metal surface is very thin. Does it need to be "polished" to apply the next surface.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
TiN finish? Yes. Mirrored TiN Finish? No.
I've been generally happy with having TiN finishes on my barrels over the last couple of years. Even though Lone Wolf wasn't doing an awesome job circa 2013/14, the TiN refinishing has held up better over time better than factory black nitride (with actual use) for me.
I've run cerakote, duracoat, black nitride and TiN finishes on barrels but not slides.
I'm not speaking for the "lubricity" of any of the finishes; I don't run my pistols bone dry anyways. And I don't store them in a pond either so I mainly used the coatings for visual appeal.
Visual wear? I get more mileage out of my TiN coatings than I do from Cera or especially Dura. Nitride works fine if you're not into spending money on aesthetics and don't mind seeing the barrel finish poking through after some rounds are slung.
You'll definitely need your barrel (or whatever else you;re going to have coated) be highly polished if you want a mirror finish on it after the TiN is applied.
I haven't gone the mirror route; I'd just have it blemished from use rather quickly.
I don't have anyone to recommend for polishing but I can recommend Brazen Firearms for the coating. I'm going to send off my Beretta barrel soon to have the Duracoat stripped and black TiN applied.

Reactions: joker619

·
MacGyver
7,604 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for you replies...I've done Google researching and called a few folks, but just wanted to see what the good ole folks on the forums had to say. Most companies are pretty honest, but when they start telling you about sandblasting, tolerances, fitting, etc yeah that was a little out my league. I have multiple firearms, military, law enforcement experience, but never really customized them much except useful tactical stuff lights, optics, etc. I don't want to mess with reliability by any means, but I wouldn't mind having one nicely finished golden gun. Again thanks...I'll keep researching but suggestions first hand experience are greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
It's very important that the finish on one's Glock pistol properly complements and coordinates with the finish on one's tongue stud and nipple rings. :)

·
MacGyver
7,604 Posts
I have no personal experience with TiN on gun parts-- but I have knives and drill bits with it, and I have had NiB finishes on guns parts (and they do scratch, and stain).

Tolerance's -- to add a coating to a surface, increases the dimension of the surface- unless the coating is so thin to not matter, OR the the original base needs to be reduced to make room for the newcoating. PVD coats are very thin, but the question then is- what surface prep is needed to for the coating to adhere. Again think about drill bits-- they are TiN coated- it is tough PVD stuff, but does wear off, does stain.

The best way to do this is hire companies that have done it. Ask them upsides and downsides. (CCR is running a special right now-- but not in TiN). Make sure to remove your channel liner before sending to them.

PVD does come in several color options including rainbow-gold, plum, purple, etc. Gold guns look great...post pics when you get them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something like this ?
This place also does TiN coatings and the rose colored one looks different and kinda nice ...https://middlebranchmachine.com/pro...altin-black-slide-coating?variant=51296692999
Yes, something like that...Looks very nice. Even a little more mirrored on the sides. I've been talking to a fellow Marine, Patriot polishing out in Florida about his services and a local shop out here in San Diego. Still going back and forth now that I'm learning a little about the process.

I have no personal experience with TiN on gun parts-- but I have knives and drill bits with it, and I have had NiB finishes on guns parts (and they do scratch, and stain).

Tolerance's -- to add a coating to a surface, increases the dimension of the surface- unless the coating is so thin to not matter, OR the the original base needs to be reduced to make room for the newcoating. PVD coats are very thin, but the question then is- what surface prep is needed to for the coating to adhere. Again think about drill bits-- they are TiN coated- it is tough PVD stuff, but does wear off, does stain.

The best way to do this is hire companies that have done it. Ask them upsides and downsides. (CCR is running a special right now-- but not in TiN). Make sure to remove your channel liner before sending to them.

PVD does come in several color options including rainbow-gold, plum, purple, etc. Gold guns look great...post pics when you get them.
Thanks! I'll definitely have top look up that "channel Liner" for I prolly would have just sent in my whole slide and barrel. When you say it still scratches....do you mean by fairly easily. I'm sure good use will scratch a lot of surfaces, but is it pretty easily done. If so, that might defeat my purpose. I still want a pretty durable finish, and from what I read its supposed to be very tough and even some say scratch proof. Good to know. Thanks for your post!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TiN finish? Yes. Mirrored TiN Finish? No.
I've been generally happy with having TiN finishes on my barrels over the last couple of years. Even though Lone Wolf wasn't doing an awesome job circa 2013/14, the TiN refinishing has held up better over time better than factory black nitride (with actual use) for me.
I've run cerakote, duracoat, black nitride and TiN finishes on barrels but not slides.
I'm not speaking for the "lubricity" of any of the finishes; I don't run my pistols bone dry anyways. And I don't store them in a pond either so I mainly used the coatings for visual appeal.
Visual wear? I get more mileage out of my TiN coatings than I do from Cera or especially Dura. Nitride works fine if you're not into spending money on aesthetics and don't mind seeing the barrel finish poking through after some rounds are slung.
You'll definitely need your barrel (or whatever else you;re going to have coated) be highly polished if you want a mirror finish on it after the TiN is applied.
I haven't gone the mirror route; I'd just have it blemished from use rather quickly.
I don't have anyone to recommend for polishing but I can recommend Brazen Firearms for the coating. I'm going to send off my Beretta barrel soon to have the Duracoat stripped and black TiN applied.
Brazen looks legit..I'll do a little more research checking them out. They seem to offer a polishing service as well as a the TIN coating! Thanks for the recommendation! https://www.brazenfirearms.com/collections/tin-coatings/products/polished-shiny-finish-slide

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I bought one of Middlebranch Machine's TiN Glock 19 threaded barrels and had no issues. It looked and functioned fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts