Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thet...-nypd-speer-gold-dot-p-9mm-hollow-points/amp/
9 shots were fired by NYPD. 5 were hits to the BG. 4 out of 5 were stopped by a Carhartt jacket. I'm mostly concerned with 9mm because I EDC a Gen3 17. The round hit the market in 1995 and the same site has a report showing Gen 2 Gold Dots to be a total failure by any 4 inch or shorter barrel. Im currently loaded up with Hornady Critical Duty and spare mags contain H.S.T in some and more Critical Duty In others. I EDC a a minimum of 3 extra 17 round mags. In hotter areas of Atlanta I add several 33 rounders. I may lose but I don't plan on it being because I ran out of ammo. I still see a LOT of love for Gold Dots here. My question is do you feel Gold Dots are still a practical application in 9mm ? BTW in winter my surplus field jacket may get replaced by my Carhartt jacket. Luckily in Ga We don't have as many days heavy clothing is worn by lots of stylishly conscious thugs.

·
Exploring Alternate Routes
5,429 Posts
This made its way around the interwebs about a year ago. I can't vouch for that being the first round or not.
Carhart makes excellent clothing. None of them are bullet proof and the story has been debunked on several levels. Do your own searching.

I guess you could buy stock in the company and hope for the best. LOL

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
12,008 Posts
I have carried Gold Dots for years. This will not change what I carry. I willing to say that those 5 rounds to the suspect's head would have been lethal.

Reactions: Judge of Judges

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might catch heat for this but keep one mag full of LIBERTY Civil Defense 9mm +P 50gr over 2000 fps. Im not saying it's the best carry round because typical situations are close distances. But honestly free standing shooting at 150 yds with a stock sights , stock EVERYTHING Glock17 will blow your mind. No rest. I mean tight groups and still penetrates surprisingly well. I've never had anything but stock guns with some sights exceptions. If you haven't tried shooting some at long pistol distances then try it. I can only speak for the 9mm in this round. If I knew I had to take a really long shot , I would grab that mag. In my head I ALWAYS know which mag on me had in it and would grab according to the situation. That's of course if I have time.

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the debunking info. I will research it more. The article I posted seemed legit. I appreciate being corrected when Im wrong. Still I believe better options exist but that is just my opinion which shouldn't mean anything to anyone but me.

·
Banned
12,667 Posts
All bullet designs evolve. I have no problem using Gold Dots in any caliber I'm carrying. I hope people keep jumping on the latest bullet fad bandwagon, to leave more Gold Dots for me.

·
Registered
101,987 Posts
Gold Dots Past their prime?
No, they are one of the best across the board choices. I recommended them
to folks who are new to firearms because they work, they are affordable,
and they are available.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.