Glock 19 Going to try a competition

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jamppp, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Av8rTim

Av8rTim

Oh, and get a decent belt for sure if you don’t already have one.

PEC-Memphis likes this.
  2. jamppp

jamppp

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020

3. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

Serpa? If someone shoots themself or has a nd it’s not the holsters fault.

4. smitret

smitret

Your Glock 19 will be just fine.
    Glock makes a OWB holster for about $15 that will work while you sort out your next move.
    Fobus makes a two mag carrier either paddle or belt.
    I've used the paddle version for 3 years without problems.
    That will get you started without breaking the bank.
    Get your hits and the rest will come.
    At 78 I'm not the best or the worst just having fun.

glock_collector, seedub70 and jamppp like this.
  5. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Spend $12 on a Glock holster. I've got one I've had for years now, and used on multiple guns. Absolutely the best "cheap" holster you'll ever buy. If you have the larger framed .45's they have one size for those, and one size for the normal 17,19, 22, 23, 45, 27, 26, and 33. Ebay, all day.

6. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Yeah well, holsters don't shoot people.

The ergonomics of people are different - short-tall, fat-skinny, short waist
    - long waist, Short Fingers - Long fingers, Good Shoulder Flexibility - Restricted Shoulder Flexibility, ---- and on and on.....

So to your point it is not the holster's fault - it is the user's fault for picking a sh***y holster. There are a lot of reasons why the sherpa is crap. Quality of materials, release jamming, poor ergonomics (in some applications), etc.

Even the professional company representative has problems with it (Todd Jarrett). In demos, he has missed the release (pulling up before release has cleared), but he is pretty good in compensating for the error.

Even the folks saying the sherpa is great, and it is all "user error" eff-up in their demonstration about how great the sherpa is .......

Note that these folks are wearing the holster at 3:00 or "less" - not closer to 4:30-5:00 where most CCW folks would be wearing the holster - and yet they still eff-up.

At 2:28 you can clearly see the derp's finger enter the trigger guard, luckily not incurring a UD.

Other's have comments as well .....

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/06/serpa-sucks-thats-just-say/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xIFdCVNOI

The sherpa is the Audi 5000 of the gun world. The Audi 5000 was the subject of an investigation of "unintended acceleration" (sounds a lot like untended discharge, doesn't it?). The problem (with the 5000) was the transmission well was larger than normal vehicles, which shifted the pedal cluster to the left. This positioned the accelerator +/- where the brake would be on a very high percentage of vehicles. People would testify that they were "pushing as hard as possible on the brake" but still the Audi surged forward at a high rate of speed (in some cases killing folks). Tests showed that depressing full throttle and (even partial) braking would cause the vehicle to stop (not enough HP/T to over come the brakes).

So was it the Audi's (or the mfr) fault that the users were depressing the accelerator when they thought they were depressing the brake(s)? Well maybe - but mostly yes. The design was not ergonomically "good" for a small (but relevant, based on the consequences) percentage of the population. Compared to the sherpa, the Audi 5000 was a great design.

From an earlier post:

For what it is worth:

"After I swapped holsters not only did I feel more secure about my ability to keep my blood on the inside but the new holster also shaved about a second off my draw time. And after competing in the FNH 3-Gun Championship this weekend using the ALS holster instead of the SERPA I have no idea why anyone would use anything else. It’s faster, more secure, and doesn’t come with the increased possibility of a ND.

Guns, when handled improperly, are dangerous. But even more dangerous is safety gear that doesn’t live up to expectations or even encourages accidents. Like the SERPA holster. And like lawn darts before it, so should the SERPA holster go gentle into that good night."

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/11/foghorn/serpa-holsters-should-be-discontinued/

At least five (5) known issues with the sherpa holster:

http://tagtrainingllc.bympa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Safety-Issues-Re-Serpa.pdf
    Edit:

This one is pretty good.

"The people I know that have been there and done that - they like this holster".
    Tar & Sweeney then go on to criticize the folks who "haven't internalized (WTF?) to keep their finger off of the trigger, or they see (again WTF?) people who haven't internalized to keep their finger off of the trigger". Then Sweeney goes on to make the mistake they've been discussing for a couple of minutes @ approximately 2:30 into the video.

I guess I'm not just "HSLD" enough to appreciate qualities** of the sherpa, but apparently neither are they. [** I heard a pretty concise description of the sherpa - "a poorly designed and made holster with a questionable locking system"]

Other than (unintentionally) demonstrating how easy it is to make the mistake, this is quite a demonstration of excessive trigger slapping and grip milking. This one video should destroy the credibility of both.
    http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/20...-button-woes-means-youre-not-operator-enough/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    checkyoursix likes this.
  7. MCCM

MCCM

Couldn't agree more. Both times I deployed to Iraq I was issued a Serpa for my M9. One was on a drop leg platform and the other was a molle chest rig. After hundreds of draws and thousands of rounds for pre-deployment, not one AD/ND out of my whole group. Most had never shot a pistol before either. I've seen more ND from Army/Air Force folks at the clearing barrels before going into the chow hall than I have from a Serpa.

thewoods868 and glock_collector like this.
  8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I also completely agree. But here's the deal Serpa guys. You don't run the match, the clubs do, and many clubs, and training facilities, have banned the Serpa. So go buy up 5 acres and get it permitted as a range and run your own matches....

The BladeTech Signature is only a few $$$ more and widely accepted in all competitions.

Glock and Fobus holsters are just a place to put a gun, they hardly qualify as competition or carry holsters.

Buy good gear up front, and only once. You will find that just the cost of gas, match fees and ammo will be 5 times the cost of gear in the first month.

seedub70 likes this.
  9. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

The little Glock belt slide will get you by. If you get hooked you will get something better and the $14 will be lost in the noise. If you don't want to play, you will not be out much.

Don't get a Serpa. We here are all Tier 1 Operators and don't make mistakes, but some of the deplorables have given the thing a bad name and it is not allowed some places.
    If you like the brand for some reason, they make the CQB straight draw holster.

PEC-Memphis and CDR_Glock like this.
  10. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

The nicest thing about a Bladetech is that tension can be adjusted for your draw, and the cant can be adjusted, also.

I’d shy away from a Serpa. I have two, but I’d never consider it competition worthy.

I have holsters by Bravo Concealment, but without the ability to adjust tension, I prefer to use my Bladetech. A BladeTech is not expensive. Black Scorpion also makes inexpensive competition belts and mag holsters.

You really want a solid belt, also.

That’s too bad about stopping the shooting and moving drills for stages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)

11. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Well, there is one way to make a Serpa safe, which allot of guys have figured out, and that is to cut the pin that holds the finger button. Now you have just another Kydex holster with a hole in it. Except it only has one tension screw and the trigger guard retention is nowhere near as good as a BladeTech

[​IMG]

MCCM likes this.
  12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Ok jam, took me awhile but the competition you may be referring to is called GADPA. Designed for complete newbies, well only GSSF is simpler.

http://www.gadpa.com/

CDR_Glock likes this.
  13. ChiefB2

ChiefB2

CDR_Glock likes this.
  14. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Simple? Target looks like a spiderweb. They have 24 sample targets showing different hits, scored differently.

Official name is Greater American Defensive Pistol Association, but what it amounts to is Georgia DPA, they show no matches outside of Georgia.

ASI is simplified, relative to IDPA, and with .22s and no draw for absolute novices. Wider distribution than GADPA but still mostly Pacific NW.

15. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

16. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Problem with these "venues" is they are pretty much the same as local action club matches. Could be DAP, Defensive Action Pistol, or CRAP, Chuck's Radical Action Pistol..... Which is fine, if that's what you want. They are not IDPA/USPSA/IPSC/Steel Challenge/3 gun.

But their rules are only 8-10 pages, versus over 200 pages for USPSA. The point is they may be goofy to us, but still simpler for newbies.

17. jamppp

jamppp

Thanks. I did end up ordering the fobus set of holster and 2 mag carrier for $24 off eBay. If I do decide to do this regularly I’ll look at upgrading to the blade tech . Which model do you suggest?
    I don’t know how official a competition it is vs something the local club organizes and allows non members to participate. But I figure this is a good, cheap, easy way to find out if I will enjoy this.

Seem much more interesting, practical, and engaging than standing at the range plinking away.

18. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Any competition that is timed and scored is way way better than standing behind a bench shooting at a box target. The other best thing you can do is get electric ears. Peltor Tac 6's are only $50 on Amazon. Walker game ears have far too slow of a response for competition.

CDR_Glock and jamppp like this.
  19. jamppp

jamppp

I have a pair I use when I'm shooting Sporting Clays - hadn't occurred to me to bring them, but that is a great thought and I will try it. I haven't thought about 'response delay' but at first that's probably not something I need to concern myself with ;)

By the way, which Blade Tech holster were you suggesting I use?

20. Bradley T

Bradley T

This isn't very expensive and works really well: IMG_20200123_070131448.jpg

No need for "retention," and quiet too. Minimal cant. Passes "dowel test" and all that. Leather is better than plastic,- it just is.
    Desantis Osprey for G19, but a 17 fits too.
    Finger! Muzzle discipline!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020