going to see and old friend for the last time

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by marley, Aug 19, 2007.

1. marley

marley 17-26-32

My x wife's dog Dags has cancer and won't last the week. He lived with me from 94 to 97. He and marley got along well but marley was my dog and Dags was hers. He has come to visit a lot. She traveled for her job and he always had a home with me. He spent a month with me the week after marley past back in dec. It was good to see him longer than the usual weeks that I saw him When we picked him up off the street Jeri wanted to bring him for the night. I told her no, either he stays on the street or you keep him for ever. She kept the faith. The end is near. It is sad when old friends have to go away. I am glad I get the chance to see him one last time. Time to drive to DC to see him that one last time........ Patrick

2. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

A few years after I got married and moved out of my parent's house, they had to put down the German Shepherd I had grown up with since I was 10. I went back to see her the day before she was to leave. She was 14, mostly blind, and obviously in a great deal of pain from arthritis because she didn't even seem excited to see me. It is a very difficult thing to say goodbye to a part of the family that you love dearly. You'll miss her like I did my Greta, but cherish all the memories you have of her. Damn, why can't dogs live longer?

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

4. marley

marley 17-26-32

Thanks. He was doing ok. It was still sad to see him so weak. patrick

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

About two years ago our nextdoor neighbor's Dobie started bleeding from her mouth. Thinking she was injured, they carried her to the vet, then another, but couldn't get it stopped. The third vet they saw (same day) did some tests and it was cancer. She was gone in less than a week.

I *loved* this dog like she was my own. I could walk in their front door and she would tackle me and almost knock me back out with her greeting. I could be outside and see her in the yard and she would cry for me. I could also drive my neighbor nuts by whispering to her at night and getting her to crying for me :supergrin:

The last time I saw her was the night before she died. She didn't even know me. She come to me but it was just a shuffle. She didn't paw me/lick me or even look up. She just stood in front of me in her trance.

I cried as much when she died as I did for my dog. I got him for Easter when I was eight and had him almost 20 years.

:sad:

6. marley

marley 17-26-32

On the same day we got JC my x wrote to say dags was gone. 09-08-07 godspeed and good hunting...... Lest we forget...... I won't Patrick