close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going to put a bullet in my IBM Deskstar harddrive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ThinkOfTheChildren, Sep 14, 2004.

1. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

Please make sure that you don't ever buy an IBM Deskstar harddrive and make sure that if you purchase a premade system it does not contain an IBM Deskstar.

Mine just died on me and I would chalk it up to a lemon, but I read around and see that others have had similar experiences.

Anyway, that's all, I'm just bitter and wanted to warn consumers. Thankfully my Deskstar was only my slave drive which was used for storage at the time of its death. My Western Digital is my primary drive but now I'm in the market for a new slave drive for extra storage.

Now that my rant is over, anyone have any big preference between Seagate versus Western Digital? (Or maybe another brand)

2. grenadier

grenadier

Which model do you have? The 120GXP and 180GXP series were known for their high rate of failures, hence their affectionately being known as "Deathstars."

The ones manufactured under Hitachi's ownership don't seem to be troublesome.

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

i've had a seagate go out on me (it was like 8 gigs in size, so obviously that was a long time ago).

4. ric0123

ric0123

Speaking of putting a bullet in something... One of the funniest things I ever saw was a guy pull out an old 486dx25 Packard BELL and put it down range and let loose with a HK USP40. He got about 75 rounds into it until the range master stopped him. It was cool to see slugs burried in the hard drive. Fitting end to one of the WORST computers companies ever.

BTW, I'm a WD guy. From everyone I talk to, WD and Seagate are probably tops. You couldn't GIVE me a Maxtor, but YMMV

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

6. ThinkOfTheChildren

It's the 60GXP. As long as I've owned it, it's been extremely noisy and now after a short couple years of use, it's a paperweight.
    Just out of curiousity, why's that?
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a great price, but I think I'm in the market for something slightly better.

7. huntery

huntery

I bought my IBM deskstar because I heard they were one of the best. So far going on 5 yrs, no problems. A small 20gig model.
    How old is yours? should I be concerned?
    Also bought an IBM laptop HD, that's going on 3 yrs. another 20gig model.

8. Dandapani

Dandapani

All IBM Deathstars are crap. IBM issued a disclaimer, not for 24x7 server usage. I use mine for backup in external USB case. Power up, plug in, do backup, unplug, power off. Perfection.

9. srhoades

srhoades

Seagate now waranties their drives for 5 years. Can't beat that.

10. aslag

aslag

I just purchased a 160GB Seagate. Free lifetime tech support but only a "Worry free ONE-YEAR warranty" as stated on the box. Although the information and price placard at Best Buy said 5 year warranty.

11. ThinkOfTheChildren

I don't know whether or not you should be concerned. Mine went for approx 3 years and then all of a sudden just decided to die.
    I searched around the web and saw other stories of failing Deskstars, including this post right here in Tech Talk where El Capitan had one that died and one about to die:
    http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224604
    I wish I had known that before. My Deathstar came in a Dell that I purchased: not something that I picked out separatley.

12. Gluck

Gluck

Try reading some reviews at www.newegg.com or www.anandtech.com

I ended up getting a Seagate 80gig SATA and it's been fine, no noise whatsoever. Some reveiwers on Newegg complain of a high-pitch whine on WDs.

13. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I have two of the Seagate 80Gig SATA drives in a RAID 0 array and have been quite pleased with them.

14. srhoades

srhoades

I've heard nothing but good things about the Seagate SATA drives. I want to get 4 for a RAID 0+1 setup.

15. nothing

nothing Advertisement

It's funny how most people are either Maxtor or WD, but not both. I think they are both good compainies. I've had 8 Maxtors and only one failed. I called Maxtor and they sent a replacement drive to my doorstep 2 days later with a box for me to send the old one back. The drive they sent me was a 30GB. The old drive was a 27GB. They really have great customer service.

I'm still using my 10 and 11.5 GB drives from 6 years ago.

Now you couldn't give me a quantam bigfoot though.

16. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

For the longest time, I swore by IBM drives. I have 2 of the Ultra2 18.2GB drives in my linux box that have chugged along fine for close to 5 years. I used to get the 20GB and 30GB Deskstars, and they were really reliable. The *GXP 60GB and 75GB drives are pretty much worthless. I think there was a class-action suit brought against IBM for those drives.

Now I run a pair of WD 34.7GB 10K RPM SATA Raptor drives in my Windoze box, and a cheapy 40GB Seagate drive for random file storage.

For laptops, I used to like the IBM/Hitachi drives, but the drive of choice is the Seagate Momentus 8MB cache models. Same power consumption as the smaller, slower drives, but more disk space, cache, and spindle speed. They really make a difference in laptops with the 4200rpm drives.

17. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

TOTC - Please Post Pic's :)

18. mc1911

mc1911

WD
    WD all the way!

19. rudeguy

rudeguy

You bumped a 12 year old thread to post that?

mc1911 likes this.
  20. Gladorn

Gladorn

Wow. Blast from the past! The biggest hard drive mentioned in this thread is 160. I almost forgot that hard drives were so small just a decade ago.