close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going to jail for getting a good deal at car dealer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by berto62, Sep 28, 2012.

1. badge315

badge315

The dealership is liable because:

A) The employee was acting as an agent of the dealership
    B) The employee's criminal act was committed while performing his duties as an employee of the dealership
    C) The dealership would have been a direct beneficiary of the employee's criminal act

If you really believe that, then you should refrain from forming an opinion about or commenting on any news story ever again, because they never include all the facts. :upeyes:

2. frizz

frizz

The police said that a manager of the company told them that the customer stole the car, and the cop the manager was talking to informed the manager that the police would try to arrest the customer.

The employees were conducting the business of the employer and one or more of the employees were in management positions. In conducting the business, specifically trying to recover money, they committed a civil wrong against the customer. These are not contested facts.

The law is not murky in this situation. The employer is responsible for what its employees did.

Why else would the company president be kissing butt and playing make-nice?

3. norton

norton

None of us "know". We weren't there. And written stories are almost always full of mistakes and bias.

I like to take the road less traveled. I am not always in favor of the "little guy". Plus I know several people who would only be too glad to do the same thing to a dealership. They are the same people who think everyone is trying to screw them over.
    Have a nice day:wavey:

4. ray9898

ray9898

The car dealer is without question liable. The manager who reported the car stolen was acting as an agent of his employer and was empowered by them to file legal action on behalf of the dealership. For example, the dealership he is employeed by is the victim of the theft and not the manager personally as a private citizen. That is the difference and why his employer is involved.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  5. frizz

frizz

If you don't know, then why are you so adamant that the purchaser did something wrong? There is no evidence that he did, but there is clear evidence that the dealership did something wrong.

6. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

Suing for $2.2 million for 4 hours in jail? What a shmuck. At most he should get legal fees paid for and the car for free, at most.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Shirley...you jest! :dunno: :faint:

:wavey:

red

8. Tongo

Tongo

You did read where they guy who bought the car was a Nurse and could potentially (likely) have employment issues due to the arrest?

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

What's the name of the dealership where you work?

10. frizz

frizz

You might see it differently if someone made a false report to the police that resulted in your arrest. As several posters have pointed out... an arrest, even with dropped charges and nothing more, will follow him for the rest of his career and create professional licensing problems for him.

And what about the disgusting act of lying to the police to get you thrown in the slammer? This wasn't an inadvertent accident; it was deliberate and malicious, so it deserves punishment.

11. rockymtnhorror

rockymtnhorror

Look at the bright side: at least the cops didn't shoot the guy's dog!

12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

But they did Taser the Dog when it wouldn't show ID.

:supergrin:

13. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Someone doesn't understand the consequences of an arrest on a healthcare professional's career.

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

So how many times have you been arrested? How many strip searches? How many times hauled infront of judge??
    There are MANY jobs, times where just haveing BEEN arrested can cause trouble. It does NOT matter why/finding in case. Just that you were arrested.
    If I was offered "just let us lie to Police so they arrest you, haul you in, search you, put in your record that you were arrested for car theft... and we will give you $40k " I would tell you to keep your money. (forcefully)

I recall I had a landlord who got arrested for trespass BUT included was RESISTING arrest. He said he NEVER got a warning once Officer found that out. (he was riding ATV when he was 20 and tried to get home when he saw Police come out)

15. nursetim

nursetim

See? Every penny, I rest his case. :thumbsup:

16. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Good point. Around here (Fla.) filing a false Police report is a felony. Now I'm wondering how this works out as far as the, probably soon to be ex, employees at the dealership.

17. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Teachers try to transfer the "love for learning" to others around them.

In verse it is easy to find a stopping point, but in prose, with online communication being limited to both sides' effectual transfer of respective viewpoints, sometimes it is not so easy to come to the point of, "okay, you don't care about ever getting it."

The way I see it is like this, your love of learning keeps you turning over every stone for the benefit of the recipient. All teachers do it and those whom are not teachers sometimes do not understand the dogged persistence or tenacity to make something plainly understood.

"rock on garth"

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  18. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

You can arrest me and throw me in a holding cell for 4 hours any day of the week even for just a measly $1 million.

Suing for $2 million is still a shmuck move IMO.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. nursetim

nursetim

Okay, but you can never do what you love to do and make a good living doing it. For a mil? Pass. I love what I do too much. I'm sorry for you if you do not have that passion in your life.

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

People who don't understand the value of freedom, or who lack a comprehension of earning potential are usually the ones to shart at the mouth about "a measly mil or 2 mil".

What do you do for a living, and what is the level of your education?