close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going to Guatemala...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by automatic slim, Feb 11, 2010.

1. automatic slim

automatic slim Walmart Shopper

...Next week. On the west coast. It's for a fishing/blues gig. Sounds like it will be fun, but I'm wondering a few things if anyone has been there.

1.Insect repellant. They told me no aerosol cans. The only thing I use is Deep Woods Off. I imagine this is for the plane ride. Any suggestions on a non-aerosol repellant?

2.Montezuma's revenge. They'll have plenty of bottled water apparently, but I'm wondering about showering and shaving. If I get a tiny bit in my mouth, am I doomed? A friend told me to swish with whiskey:)cool:)

3.Security. I vaguely heard that "everyone gets a gun". Not sure how true this is, but I sure can't take mine.

Sounds like it will be fun. Fish in the day, play music at night. Supposed to be some "famous" guitar players there. I guess that means I gotta play good. Whatever happens, it will be good to go where it's HOT!!!!!

2. SteadyGlock

SteadyGlock

From a highly experienced international traveler, PLEASE take my recommendation: buy the Guatemala tour guide published by LONELY PLANET. They are very streetwise, and will be a priceless resource for the unexpected.

1. Insect Repellant: get something with DEET. I know it has a bad rap here in the states (it is bad stuff if used long term) but I've used it in hostile, tropical environments. My wife didn't use it at first...and she got hit by African creepy-crawlies. Not me...the buggies didn't even come close. Deet-based repellant (you may need to get it in country.)

2. Squirts: make sure you bring Immodium....LOTS of Immodium (anti-diarrhea pill over the counter.) If you want to really be on top of the problem and travel like a REAL pro....there's a suppository that helps control nausea / vomiting (ask your Doctor, or look up "travel doctor" in the phone book). So, you start with the Immodium (stops the squirts) and then take the suppository. If you're dealing with explosions on both ends, you can take the Immodium, crush it with your teeth, and put the paste under your tongue. That's the fastest way to absorb any substance into your bloodstream. You can look it up, but it's true (it's called sub-lingual absorption or something like that.) Here's a link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublingual_administration
    If you don't see a change in your condition within the time listed on the box, then it may be a pill that isn't absorbed through the stomach, and it needs to be taken orally. I believe the sub-lingual method will work very well.

Also, make sure you have plenty of anti-bacterial gel, hand wipes, etc. Bring a tube of Neosporin anti-bacterial gel in case of cuts. Don't worry too much about tiny cuts...(the whiskey is indeed a solution if you don't have anything else.)

3. Security: Hopefully, you're trip has a local management team and / or assistants that will be with you. If not, you need to find a low priced guide to take with you. Try to reduce your flashiness, don't wear a fancy watch, jewelry, expensive clothing, etc. Play your image down. Sadly, being American isn't very popular in many parts of the world, especially among the developing economies / third world. Claim Canadian citizenship, never engage in political or religious discussions, blah, blah, blah. Do Nothing to draw attention to yourself. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just use common sense have patience, and keep it simple. Rely on those in your group that have experience in the country.

Good Luck, Safe Travels. :wavey:

Steady

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Good luck and stay safe my friend:supergrin::wavey:

4. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

That may be sound advice, but to hell with that. I'm not saying I would go around screaming about being American, but I won't deny it.

5. automatic slim

I have a long fishing rod, and a good sized Flag. My plan is to shove the pole into the ground with our Flag waving from it proudly, and claim this foreign land as ours.

And that's just at the airport.:tongueout:

6. automatic slim

7. automatic slim

Thanks Okie.

8. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

9. Jarhead FLSTI

Jarhead FLSTI

Reading that makes it sound like nothing has changed since I was there in the 80s. It was actually an awesome trip. I spent most of my time there playing around the Mayan ruins in Tikal.

10. RonaldG29

RonaldG29 Noah's Hero

It's fun...Enjoy yourself and please don't listen to those water myths, that's being ignorant. Have fun and be safe.

11. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

ditto, be prudent but have a good time

12. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I was in Guatemala many years ago but maybe some of this is still relevant:

Everyone got the squirts. I was the last and thought I had escaped it but no, it waited until we were on an overnight trip to Lake Atitlan. You have to wash and I'm guessing I got some shower water in my mouth. I certainly didn't drink any intentionally.

We drove about 20 miles on days we worked from Antigua to Guatemala city over some of the scariest roads you can imagine at altitudes of up to 9,000 feet. The roads were narrow, poorly surfaced, and had no guard rails. At times you were driving only a few feet from sheer 3 or 4,000 foot drops. In Guatemala city there was no regard whatsoever for traffic laws. It was purely a survival of the fittest environment. Fortunately we had monstrous big Chevy Suburbans and could usually shove our way through.

We were also told driving in the country if you hit someone don't stop but keep going. If you stopped to check on your victim there was a good chance the other locals would hack you to pieces with machetes. I never hit anyone but could easily believe it was true.

The country itself is beautiful and all the people we met were nice and friendly. Still, on a different trip my father and brother were run off the road and robbed at gunpoint on the way from the airport to Antigua. The reaction of the police was, "We're trying to understand why they didn't shoot you".

The communist revolutionaries that were seen in the hills around Antigua when we were there took over shortly after we left and it's been through several changes of government since then but I doubt if it's changed much.

I'd say just like any other Third World country keep your wits about you and don't be an idiot and you should have a good time.