GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But which one!

So I'm going shopping with my GSSF discount tomorrow and the place I'm going has 19.5s, 48s, and 43Xs.

19 and 43x are both factory Glock night sights, 48 is of the Glock or Ameriglo flavor.

Now I've owned a couple 19s over the years (and stupidly sold them) but never shot a Gen 5.

Held but never shot a 43x.

Never even seen a 48 in person.

All are fairly close in price, not even to make that a factor.

To me the 43x is the design that makes no sense. Just like the 45 or 19x. Shorter slide, longer grip, doesn't make sense to me from a CCW stand point, but it seems the 43x is universally loved.

48 is same size as the 19, except in width, and I've seen several people rave about how good it feels since it's slimmer.

And a 19 is, well a 19.

No I'm not trying to invest in Shield mags so those aren't even a factor.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Whichever one you like the best and feels the best in your hand. Everyone is different when it comes to a pistol choice. Me, personally, I have zero use for a 43X or a 48 as I see absolutely no point in either one, but lots of people love them. For dedicated concealed carry, if you are looking for that, the 43 or 42 would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
43X or 48, I have both, carry the 43x and use the 48 for the range. I would pick one or the other, they might be hard to come by if things go south after Jan 20.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
dont discount the 43x. what it brings to the table is the 19 sized grip. I am not fond of being able to get a full grip on a pistol. hence sales of my 33 and 27s. similarly, I have just added pinky extensions to my 29.

I love my 43x and have carried it daily since jan. or feb. it is slim, lightweight, shoots like a dream, and is well balanced. I think that is another huge point for me that I just realized. the bigger grip but shorter business end just feels great in the hand. I guess like a G45 may, according to other folks. the gun I do not personally get is the G48.

I really cannot type enough praise for my 43x. It just feels "right" to me. I positively love the gun. I am making a bold statement here that I may recant as soon as tomorrow, but for me it is as close to "perfect" EDC as I have tried yet (have run 22s, 20s, 33s, 27s, 29s, etc.). I am eating crow here too as this time last year I would have taken a baseball bat over anything 9MM. but last thanksgiving I shot my dad's regular G43 and something just clicked. I did my research and still wanted a bigger grip, checked the specs on the 43x, and bought it without having ever shot it or handled it outside the day of purchase in shop. and it was not a bad decision.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Welcome and great you are a GSSF member.

Psst. The 48 is fantastic ;-)

·
Registered
93 Posts
What do you currently own? What are you going to use it for? I love my 43x. It is an amazing pistol. It is my carry gun. And I say that as someone who thought the dimensions were stupid when I first heard them. If you don't have a 19 sized or bigger I'd be tempted to get that. If all you have is .22 ammo...well then 44.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have a 19 and a 48. While I prefer the 19 because it fits my hand better, the 48 is literally a skinny 19.

Can't go wrong with either. The 19 feels more substantial in my hand. But the 48 is just as shootable. Maybe a little bit more kick to it but not much. But my wife and son say the 19 has more kick so it may come down to hand size and grip and fit.

Whatever you decide, Happy Glockday.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Compared to the 19, the 43x shorter in length, lighter, and thinner in width. Its a good between size from the 19 down to the 43.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
43X or 48, I have both, carry the 43x and use the 48 for the range. I would pick one or the other, they might be hard to come by if things go south after Jan 20.
Totally Agree. The main reason I purchased a G48 .

·
This is Barta!
252 Posts
Whichever one you like the best and feels the best in your hand. Everyone is different when it comes to a pistol choice. Me, personally, I have zero use for a 43X or a 48 as I see absolutely no point in either one, but lots of people love them. For dedicated concealed carry, if you are looking for that, the 43 or 42 would be more appropriate.
The 43x and 48 allowed some law enforcement agencies, who require a primary fire to have at least 10 rnds (or so) to carry it as a primary and the 48 is a smidgen longer than the 19 which is too short for Canadian law so, essentially, it is the “Canadian Glock”, so I was told. Fact check me on that.

Reactions: Buckshot Barry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since I have no desire to invest in Shield mags, which limits me to 10, is the 48 still worth it?

Reason 43x seems like an oddball to me is the grip is no shorter than the 48 or 19 (though slimmer than the 19) but barrel/slide are shorter.

Barrel and slide length aren't what I find hard to hide when carrying.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Since I have no desire to invest in Shield mags, which limits me to 10, is the 48 still worth it?

Reason 43x seems like an oddball to me is the grip is no shorter than the 48 or 19 (though slimmer than the 19) but barrel/slide are shorter.

Barrel and slide length aren't what I find hard to hide when carrying.
You could wait until Jan 6 to make your purchase. If Georgia goes Democrat, buy the G48 for sure.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
When the 43X & 48 came out i rented both of them and shot 100 rounds through each.At 10 yards there was very little difference in the groups.I prefer to have the smallest gun i can shoot accurately to carry so i bought the 43X.Since the 48 is just a slim 19 in the winter i carry the G19.

·
Registered
106 Posts

I agree with the 48! The 43x is a great pistol as well, I just shoot the 48 better then anything. The only thing I don’t like about them is the “serrated” trigger shoe so I’ve replaced all of mine with Johnny Glocks enhanced OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Went with a regular 48.

Since I want to have it milled for a red dot I figured the extra $50 to $80 for night sights was a waste because they'd be swapped for taller ones anyway

Very nice!

Did you get to pew-pew yet?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts