Going to Birmingham, AL for the race!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlocknSpiehl, Apr 8, 2010.

1. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Any dining establishments I should try? We like anything from diners to fancy (tho I really like diners). Any regional food we should try?

Any sights to see? I will be at the Barber track, so I will definitely check out the museum there. The track itself looks really beautiful, should be good for the Indy cars and the GrandAm cars.

Anyone else going?

2. cranejc

cranejc

For fancy, i'd say Michael's by the Galleria in Hoover. I think there's still a Dreamland BBQ somewhere in the 'ham, too.

3. G22Dude

G22Dude

4. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Reviews at: http://www.bhamdining.com/index.html

Highlands Bar & Grill
    2011 11th Ave. South (Southside/Five Points South)
    939-1400
    One of the region's finest restaurants -- if an out-of-town guest wants to sample Birmingham's finest, this is the place to go. Chef and owner Frank Stitt combines French cuisine with the freshest Southern ingredients. Fresh gulf seafood, locally grown organic produce, and sustainably raised poultry, beef, veal, lamb and game are the foundations of the daily changing menu. A signature dish is stone ground baked grits with country ham, gourmet mushrooms, fresh thyme and parmesan. The service is superb, with an ever-changing selection of wines by the glass as well as an extensive wine list by the bottle. The bar offers classic cocktails as well as their own creations, plus some of the best raw oysters in town. Stitt has received numerous awards, including being named Best Chef: Southeast by the James Beard Foundation in 2001.

Hot & Hot Fish Club
    2818 11th Court South (Southside, just off Highland behind Taj India)
    933-5474
    www.hotandhotfishclub.com
    Global cuisine with emphasis on seasonal ingredients. Upscale, comfortable surroundings, with an open kitchen. Creative preparations of seafood, meats, salads and vegetarian dishes. On the same menu you might see influences from Asia, the Caribbean, Italy, the Middle East, and the American South. The heirloom tomato salad is so popular that the Birmingham News publishes an article when it becomes available in the summer. Chef Chris Hastings, who owns Hot & Hot with his wife Idie, has been recognized both locally and nationally by the media and fine food organizations, including a 2007 finalist for the "Best Chef in the South" James Beard Award. He is active in promoting local independent restaurants.

Be prepared to smoke your credit card!

5. Kasinefect

Kasinefect

If you make it to Bessemer area try The Bright Star. Over 100 years old and has unforgetable seafood in the evening. Yes there is still a Dreamland barbecue. Jim and Nick's ain't what it was so avoid it.

6. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member