close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going to bike week in Daytona day trip

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Not going to the bars or into the races just going to day trip it and go to the hundreds of vendors set up in the parking lot at the track.
    There's some pretty shady characters that hang out there along with hundreds of good guys.

Now here's the question do I take my gun or do I take my pepper spray or both Mind you I'm not a drinker so bars are out, I'm not paying admission to go watch any of the races just going to spend the day looking at bikes and checking out vendors.

Regards
    DW

2. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Have you been before? I parked my bike at the track parking lot it appeared to be the safest spot. I've been twice and never did I feel like I needed a weapon. Both times I was by myself and I'm not the biggest guy in the world.

But it is just like everything else, I never plan on needing a gun anywhere I go. As far as vendors there are a ton more on Main St. so you should plan on going there also.

3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I've been before but never to main street, I have heard because of traffic it's a 3 hr trip from the track to main street, I'm driving the chase car for my son and some friends, I've also so heard it's imposable to find parking close to main street in a cage
    any truth to any of this
    Regards
    DW

4. freespirit34

freespirit34 BMFTSY

I usually carry most everywhere I go, but I haven't ever carried to Daytona bike week. I don't really know why, and, of course you could run into trouble, but for the most part everyone is there to have a good time. Never had any hassles and I've been 10 to 12 times in the past 20 years. If I was taking the car, however, I might have one in there just in case.

5. norton

norton

My opinion. Main street at Daytona is something you want to experience. Once. After that its just too crowded.
    I like all of the other stuff at Daytona most of the Harley and Beer crowd miss. Like the old bike auction at Deland. Trips to St. Augustine and down to Canaveral. Taking in a spring training baseball game. Checking out the major manufacturers and any free demo rides they offer. Even a trip to the Cabbage Patch is worthwhile if only once.
    Go and have fun. I never worried about "Bikers" even though I was generally riding either a Honda or BMW. Most of the people are just there for a good time.

6. berto62

berto62

The track is ok but I think this will be better http://www.motorcycleshows.com/daytona
    Its at the Ocean Center

Get a map of Daytona.if you stay on Speedway to get across town it could take awhile. I always go across on Mason or Dunn Ave. Go across town in 10 min.Been going off and on for 20+years and have never felt unsafe.I don't think I have even seen a fight.

7. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Have been to bike week 6 of the last 10 years. Never, and I mean never, did I feel the slightest bit unsafe or cautious. Just a bunch of good folks enjoying their hobbies........... and the women.........

Just make sure to stay in a nice hotel and park in areas with a lot of movement.

You will have a great time.

8. okie

okie GT Mayor

Stay safe my friend:wavey:

9. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

I went to Biketoberfest and Bike Week last year. Follow the advice here and you should be ok. That said, I don't go anywhere where it's legal to go without my gun. That's just me. All it takes is one time when I don't have it, and like we always say, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

10. michael88

michael88

you want a fun trip, wait two weeks and go to collegiate cheerleading nationals....it's something words can't explain.

11. Hog Rider

Hog Rider

I'm not really sure why if you carry any other time and place, that you would feel it unwise to carry while going to Bike Week? Carrying is Carrying. Since Florida Law prohibits you from carrying into a bar that solely operates for liquor sales, if you go into one you will have to make a decision: Do I (A) not go in, (B) leave my gun elsewhere, then go in, (C) go in anyway. Only YOU can make that decision.

Beyond that there is plenty to do and see in and around the area. If its Venders you want to see the Race Track is good, so is Beach Street, Main Street, the lot across from the Iron Horse on US-1, Destination Daytona in Ormond.

Just go and have some fun.