Going TDY to Fort McCord 45+ days.

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by Sechott, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Sechott

Sechott

Going to school for WVNG, and planning to take my wife and four year old daughter. Should I expect the accommodations to be tight, but have our own privacy while quarter there? Will the BX/COM and entertainment areas be within walking distance? Hopefully someone here will be familiar with the base. I may not be able to take them if we have to rent off base.

2. rangerjd

rangerjd

When you say Ft McCord, do you mean McCord AFB (now JBLM-Joint Base Lewis-McCord)? I have stayed at McCord AFB lodging a couple of times and yes, everything is pretty much within walking distance. I live about 30 minutes from McCord so I do all of my grocery shopping there at the commissary. I’m retired Army, but McCord is about 10 minutes closer for me. Very nice base, by the way.

3. Sechott

Sechott

Yes the joint AFB, Thanks for the reply. It turns out that the TDY has been cancelled, I was looking forward to that trip. Now it is scheduled for me to go to McGuire AFB in New Jersey, I hear it's a nasty place to be.

4. rangerjd

rangerjd

It's beautiful up here in the Pacific Northwest, a little too much rain, but there's lots to do. Pacific Ocean 2 hrs to the west, Canada 2 hrs to the north, desert 2 hrs east and several glacier covered volcanoes in the Cascade Mountains, not to mention the Olympic Mountains and the Hoh Rain Forest on the way to the ocean. RLTW