close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

going on safari

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, Dec 10, 2002.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

at least i hope to some day. my dad and i have the strange mutual desire to go hunting in africa. maybe we've read too many books. he's interested in the big, dangerous game while i'm content with, backing him up, the little and mid-sized critters running around there.

so if the expense ever becomes feasible and the political climate in africa ever gets even semi-stable we'll need the arms. i don't want to pack the whole collection so i'd limit it to 8 guns a piece.

my list would be:
    .22-250 savage model 12 (little critters)
    .30-06 rem 700 (medium critters)
    .45-70 1885 browning hiwall (large critters)
    12ga browning citori (flying critters)
    12ga rem 11-87 with mag extension (backup gun for thin skinned critters)
    .375 H&H mag (backup gun for big ornery critters with teeth, claws and horns)
    .44mag S&W stealth hunter (to handgun hunt critters)
    10mm glock 20 (carry gun)

what would you take?

2. JohnDog

JohnDog Millennium Member

That's quite a few - planning to pack'em and ship'em in a gun safe?

I think I'd take two:

.30-06 for big thin-skinned game (and smaller stuff)
    .416 Rigby for the nasty and dangerous stuff

Both would fit in a Pelican 1750 case - easier thru customs and airports.

Remember the PH will have some massive double gun to back you up.

JohnDog

3. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I would take 2 guns.

1.300 win mag
    2.375 h&h or 416 rem mag.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

you guys would travel all the way across the pond to the dark continent and only take 2 guns?!? i can't even go to the range without taking 3 or 4. ;f

5. tjpet

tjpet

I think once you found out how much international flights charge for extra weight you'd try to do it all with one gun.

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

so far i've guesstimated the price for just the hunt (airfare and equiptement not included) would cost about $20k a piece for me and my dad to hunt 7 species of south african plains game and then up north to hunt cape buffalo. toss in a lion, elephant or rhino and the price goes way up.

so since i'm already dreaming of the extra $40,000 i have laying around, i'll just dream i own my own plane too. :)

7. forthehalibut

forthehalibut

8. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

The Republic of South Africa is a lot cheaper than you think. Same for Namibia its western neighbor. Both are very stable, modern and quite SAFE. Plains game hunts can be quite affordable. Do a search for Sator, South African Tourism Board. They send out a great tourist packet.

One is allowed TWO guns per hunter. Plus seven KG of ammo per person. Per South African Airlines anyway. If you do Namibia or RSA you will most likely fly SAA.

Plains game hunts are reasonable, but throw in dangerous game and the price goes up quickly.Leopard are not too bad but Even buffalo hunts are getting expensive. And unless your a software millionaire don't even think of elephant or rhino.

For ALL the info you could possibly want go to AccurateReloading.com, a tremendous site from the Arab Emeritz. Go to the African Hunting forum and have at it.

Also take a look at Safari Club Internationals big annual Convention. Its held in Reno this year in Feb I think. Its expensive to attend but any and ALL African species can be viewed mounted there. Plus there are literally hundreds of Pro Hunters in attendance. You can find out all you want in a day or two.

I've been over twice and plan on another visit this August. African hunts are like potato chips...you just can't do one.

Frank N in MT

9. paulito

paulito

hey everyone,
    my cousin just got back last night from south africa. he left for johannesburg two years ago and just now returned. he did a bunch of missionary work. while he was there he made pretty good friends with the owner of a safari hunting plantation. he hunted kudu, wart hogs, and some other big dangerous animal. it wasn't legal for him to bring his guns into africa without some type of license or permit so he had to use his friend's. he used a .303 british for all his hunts. i was kind of surprised, but i guess that makes sense. his guide told him not to pull the trigger unless you know your going to hit it in the right spot. i'm sure my cousin would have taken a .416 or something of that size if it was legal, but he just had to work with what he had. i'll talk to him in a little bit and see what type of back-up gun his guide carried. have you thought about those over/under rifles? i read a lot about people taking those on african safaris. that would make for a quick second shot. the only thing i don't like about those guns is that once you use that second shot you've used up all your ammo. i don't know if i'd get nervous and drop my shells trying to put them in or not. that would really suck!
    my cousin tried to talk me into meeting him in africa for a hunt, but the air fare was outrageous! i never thought it would cost $2200 just for a one way. that was the cheapest i could find at the time, but i know now you can fly for about $1200. that's for a one way of course. all it would have cost me to hunt would have been $25 american dollars. i thought that was cool. we still might go in a couple of years, but that's a ways off from right now. good luck! don't forget to post the pictures when you get back. whenever you do go.

paulito

10. Cleggy

Cleggy

I went to South Africa in March with a friend for a plains game safari. We took 14 animals between us including Blesbok,Bushbuck,Springbok,Wildebeest,Zebra,Kudu,Gemsbok,Hartebeest,Impala,and Lechwe. The flight from MN was $1300 a piece round trip. The hunt cost around $6000 which included everything (including animals).The taxidermy will run around $4000 for my 7 animals. All told, total cost $10,000-$12,000. This was a 10 day safari. You will see more game in 10 days then you'll see in 10 years back home. I will definately go again.Let me know if you want specifics for any of this...Cleggy;

11. m14shooter

m14shooter

1. 22-250(small varmint)
    2. 300 win mag (med varmint)
    3. 375 H&H(large varmint)
    4. 460 wetherby(very larger varmint)
    5. 12 ga. ruger red label(flying varmint)
    6. glock 21(2 legged varmint):cool: