Going on a cruise from Spain, to Italy, then France, how worried should I be?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by KennyFSU, Feb 24, 2020.

1. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

From the Coronavirus/Covid-19?

We leave in May from FL for a 5-day Norwegian cruise, I've never been on a cruise in my life and I tend to get seasick too...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  2. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I doubt they stop in Italy by then.

Get trip insurance that covers global pandemic or whatever the new WHO name is.

4. peepaw

peepaw Armed Ole Fart

By May travel may be illegal.

5. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Keep an eye out for periscopes breaking the surface of the water....
    [​IMG]

6. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KennyFSU likes this.
  7. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

I'll say... Bon Voyage, nice knowing ya, well bye, take pictures, keep us posted, I'd probably put it off for a while if I could... OK hell no! (but will not point out the debacle on the boat in Japan or the one that they wouldn't let land for a week or so that brought us the Seattle comedian who flew back because... that would be in bad taste)

but that's just me and my take on travel by boat right now in Feb of 2020.

Glock45Lover and KennyFSU like this.
  8. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

You'll be just fine. Enjoy your vacation!

DAKA, orangejeep06, HarlDane and 2 others like this.
  9. nerr

nerr

Italy closes Venice Carnival.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51602007

Keep in mind that I've grown more paranoid the older I get. But being kept in close quarters with hundreds of people with no way to leave is no longer enjoyable for me.

10. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

Take advice from the Soviet Express Card... don’t leave home.

Seriously, there is no way I would go on a cruise ANYWHERE for the foreseeable future.

Intolerant, DrVlad, OldDad and 4 others like this.
  11. thewitt

thewitt

I wouldn't go. Sorry.

Intolerant, cruz lee and clancy like this.
  12. GWG19

GWG19

I travel out of the country a couple times year on vacation.
    So here is some advice.
    Trip insurance is a good idea. Two kinds one to be able to cancel with no penalty and the second is a policy in the event of illness.
    Is there a chance you could get sick with what ever? Yes. Is it probable? No. When you think about the odds they are pretty slim.
    Also the Mediterranean is pretty calm compared the Atlantic. On board ship they will sea sick pills that work.

Pick pockets are your biggest danger. The Gypsy’s like to use kids. The older ones selling things will distract you then a partner swipes your wallet. A popular tactic is thrust what ever it is they are selling into your face.
    Keep your distance and you should be fine.

I keep my passport, Id and spare cash in a carrier around my neck inside my shirt or a zippered pocket. I have travel shirts that have hidden pockets. Some times a use a money belt that is inside the waistband.

My walking around cash and credit card is in my front pocket in a slim wallet or money clip. Thinner the better.

I wear nothing that screams American tourist.
    I also do not wear a travel vest. It screams tourist.

With group tours it is hard not to look like a tourist. So just go with it.
    If there is something you want to see that is not on the tour go see it. Book a private tour or if you are comfortable take off on your own. We often skip the cheesy tours and explore the local port town.

if you make it to Rome and have time. There are a couple of great places to eat. Dino & Toneys near the Vatican. It is a Mom and Pop place. Locals eat there.
    Next is a tourist cafe on Cavour down towards the Colosseum called Geovanni,s this place is great. Geovanni is a hoot.

I will be in France in End of March, visiting Normandy and the D-Day area. Then in Paris. Not worried about a thing.

DAKA, orangejeep06, nerr and 2 others like this.
  13. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Since this is GT... yeah you should be freaking out. We'll all be dead by then anyway so you should get a refund now.

Or just go and have a good time. :supergrin:

14. R*E

R*E

I’d be worried about fellow passengers who might have the virus. The cruise ship is a floating Peter dish. Good luck if you travel.

15. screwman

screwman

Me too. I want to go to a Trump rally, but I can't take the crowds...let alone be trapped on a floating prison.

Intolerant, treg and larry_minn like this.
  16. bubbatime

bubbatime

Things are rapidly evolving. Rapidly. I think as the days go by things will get drastically worse, especially for the cruise ship industry. Its possible that all cruise ships in the world will be parked and not sailing sometime in the next couple months, so the decision might be made for you.

Honestly, all you have to do is watch the news for the next couple months and you'll easily make up your mind.

Intolerant, Lt. Donn and KennyFSU like this.
  17. nerr

nerr

Intolerant, orangejeep06 and KennyFSU like this.
  18. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Wow, this is amazing advice, thanks and be safe!

19. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student Silver Member

Kenny,

Check with your physician to make certain he/she doesn't think you're in the "at risk" population. Get the pneumonia vaccine. Get a tetanus booster if you need it. If he gives you the all-clear, then by all means go and explore.

As regards cruises, for most individuals it is all but impossible to develop seasickness on a modern cruise ship. Except in extreme weather, you're unlikely to even feel the vessel moving.

About cruises in general, it is important to understand that the ports of call are not the destination. The cruise itself is the destination. The ports of call can more accurately be viewed as the "entertainment" or "attraction/distraction" of the day. Eight or twelve or even twenty-four hours in a particular port isn't nearly enough time to absorb what a particular city, much less a country, has to offer. Just as a single day wouldn't be enough to garner the essence of all that even a small American city has to offer. Understanding this from the outset as a first-time cruiser is helpful as you're less likely to feel letdown by finding you've learned less about the city/island/country you visited than you thought you might.

Back on health matters, I'm far from the paranoid type. But in 1983, while at my first job after college, I was tending to my morning constitutional in the men's room as someone several stalls down was experiencing what can only be considered acute gastrointestinal distress. Stunningly, the slob left without washing his hands. Worse, as I was emerging from my stall, I caught glimpse of the guy and realized he was the SVP of my company. I haven't touched a bathroom door handle with a bare hand since that day.

Since some people, like that SVP are, let's call it, less-than-careful with their personal hygiene, when boarding a flight Mrs. MAG40 and I have a routine for wiping down with WetWipes the surfaces of our airline seats, armrests, tray tables, and the Petri dish that is the seatback pocket. The air sickness bag becomes our trash bag for the used wipes. We finish up with Purel for our hands. It reduces the risk we'll be starting our vacation by contracting something someone else left behind.

Onboard a ship, Purel is your friend. It doesn't require paranoia, just a little practicality. A squirt in your hands before eating or drinking reduces what bugs you bring to your face and nose. Those facemasks you see on television, by the way, are all but useless against the Corona virus, but they do reduce hand-to-face contact.

Absolutely buy the trip insurance.

I've mentioned elsewhere on GT how, because Mrs. MAG40 and I spend considerable time far from home, we enrolled for MedJet Assist (www.MedJetAssist.com). It can be purchased either for the duration of a specific trip or for year 'round coverage. We have year 'round coverage for $399 a year. If we're more than 150 miles from home and require hospitalization, MedJetAssist will get us back home by air ambulance, business class with a physician/nurse accompanying us, or ground ambulance at $0 additional cost. We bought it after a friend was injured his back while out of town and could not stand or sit. An air ambulance was going to cost him $20,000, a stretch limo was going to cost $10,000. He and his wife spent two days in an Amtrak sleeper car, while he was zoned out on pain meds. Their experience makes the $399 MedJet Assist downright cheap.

Sorry for the long post. Hope some of it is helpful.

Have a great trip!

DAKA, orangejeep06, ILeft and 4 others like this.
  20. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Well, that sounds like no fun;)