close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going from glock to 1911 for EDC till the kids grow up

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by yrbender, Apr 7, 2012.

1. yrbender

yrbender

Just couldnt keep the airsoft and nerf guns out of the house. No matter what I tried the friends always had them over. With 3 boys I'll feel better with a safety. I'm a very responsible gun owner but want the odds in my favor. I understand the safe action trigger but bottom line anyone can pick it up and fire it.

2. Spartan24

Spartan24

Don't leave the gun out. Always maintain positive ownership of said weapon. Teach your boys the rules of gun safety and practice with them.

But I am sure a safety on a gun is much easier option than the others. Whatever lets you sleep at night.

Make sure you get some training and practice with That 1911 so you won't be struggling and be unsafe with the muscle memory of a Glock.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Whatever works. Fanboys will be here soon to "correct" your error in choosing something other than Glock.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. berfles

berfles

Anyone can pick up any handgun and fire it unless it has a gunlock on it, kids can figure out safeties

5. mcflyfyter

mcflyfyter

It took my 3 year old son about 5 seconds to dryfire my G22, 3 seconds for my xd and almost a minute to get the 1911. Doesn't buy as much time as I thought it would.

6. barth

barth six barrels

Kids in the house are a real issue with guns.

All I can say is;
    1) Educate your kids on gun safety as early as possible.
    2) Keep your guns secure.

Seems like DA revolvers are bad news for little kids.
    Really small kids can't rack a slide.

But nothing short of being locked up is safe.
    Gun safeties are mostly for you, so you don't have an AD.
    Never really designed to protect against kids.

Just the Daddy in me talking...
    No disrespect

7. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

Despite what the fanboys say, nothing wrong with a 1911 for CCW.

8. Creatism

Creatism

I solved the issue with a gun safe and teaching my son about guns.

Typed from my iPhone.

9. oldjarhead

oldjarhead

I echo Spartan24's advice. If you train your children properly, and teach them to respect guns, it will go a long way. If you own a gun, it is not only your responsibility, but your duty to train, and teach your children about guns. Above al,l teach them to respect firearms. With that said, for the security of your firearms, you should have a good gun safe in the house too.

I raised two children, one boy and one girl. Taught them early. First I showed them a safe gun(cleared) and let them handle it. Told them about the parts and how it works. Took them to the range, and after drilling into their heads about all the aspects of gun safety, I supervised them, starting with a little .22 caliber chipmunk rifle. Today they both each own a Glock m23 .40 caliber pistol. The girl is a high school teacher, the boy is a helicopter pilot, and former Marine with two tours in Iraq. Training kids with guns has been an institution in the USA for decades. It is too bad a few parents have been totally irresponsible, with leaving loaded guns in drawers, on top of night stands or trying to "hide" them. Kids are resourceful. They always find a way to get to them, especially if you don't take away that curiosity by training them well.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

While I can think of any number of reasons to enjoy a 1911, I think believing the safety offers any substantial protection in keeping children from being able to fire the gun is at best a stretch and at worse a potential tragedy. I think anything from the cable lock included in the case with the Glock which makes it essentially free all the way through a several thousand dollar safe will be far better at making the gun child-resistant than a 1911 thumb safety, grip safety, or both.

11. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

I never leave weapons out. It's either on me or in a safe. That is the only guarantee with kids.

12. Restless28

Restless28

Dude, teach your kids, and keep your **** locked up, or don't own guns.

13. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

There are much better reasons for picking a 1911 as a CCW.

14. Rustin

Rustin

Agreed.

15. JJJJr Shabadoo

JJJJr Shabadoo Doc

:faint:

I really hope you're just trolling the forum because if this is a real post, WHY THE HELL DO YOU LEAVE YOUR GUNS AROUND WHERE CHILDREN CAN GET THEM?!?!

If you're leaving guns lying around the house and expecting manual and grip safeties to prevent your kids from accidentally shooting them, well, I won't say what I think, but it isn't very complimentary. The grip safety will do nothing - we had a local case where a little child accidentally shot his baby brother with an XD that an idiot parent left lying around. Just because their little hands won't fit all the way around the grip doesnt mean that the grip safety can't be depressed. And the manual safety can be easily switched off by any child playing with the gun, even if they don't know what it does.

If you "want the odds in your favor" then the guns either need to be on your person or locked up at all times. No exceptions. Ever. It doesn't matter whether it's a Glock, a 1911, a revolver or anything else.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

You're going to depend on a manual safety on a 1911 to make the gun "kid proof"? That is just insane.

17. sXeKJB

sXeKJB

I can think of a lot of other guns I would choose with a manual safety over a 1911. hk/m&p/xd

18. Spartan24

Spartan24

However, there is something wrong with the idea that a 1911 is inherently safer and kid proof.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Inebriated

Inebriated

If it's not in this...
    [​IMG]
    Put it in this...
    [​IMG]

If you've got kids in the house, and aren't at the range, a gun should never be anywhere else. Except maybe a real safe.

20. 257 roberts

257 roberts

true story....when I was a little kid I would go over to a friends house and if no one was home we would go into his parents bedroom and open his dads underwear draw and take ou his dads .45 and hold it and point it at stuff.....best to teach you chidren about guns.