Going Chukar hunting tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by RMTactical, Oct 6, 2005.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Oh, I mean, saturday...

2. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

GoreLicks,

Chukars are neat birds. With the wetter spring we had this year and last, their populations are doing pretty well now. In the fall they gather together in good sized flocks. A Eurasian species, Chukars are one of the few species in North America to utilize cheat grass, which is also a Eurasian import.

Chukars around here are found where rocky desert cliffs and cheat grass meet, especially along the Colorado and Gunnison rivers. The photo is a male I saw in the canyon country just east of the Utah border last May.

Good luck, and tell us what you find.

Hummer

3. RMTactical

I've hunted them a couple times. Great tasting bird, probably my favorite game bird.

From what I understand, they are common in places like Afganistan where the terrain is very similar to the Nevada desert, and they were actually brought over here from there from what I understand and have been a welcomed addition to the habitat.

I'm thinking 6 shot for these birds but Wal mart seems to be low on shotgun shells with this big of shot (I am sure it has to do with the season coming in a couple days). What different shot sizes would you think would be most effective.

4. RMTactical

Well, I took one today. Out of the six of us that went out, only 3 of us got a bird.

It was just too damn windy, otherwise I am sure we'd have done better... Oh well, at least I get to eat chukar tonight! ;f

5. btoler

btoler

I shot a chukar once....The dog jumped him up about ten feet from me and my friend he shot all three of his rds. and didn't kill it all I had was 12 ga. high brass no. 4 shot the chukar waas headed towards me when I pulled the trigger all you seen was feathers and hamburger;a I guess it was alittle overkill.;z

6. WFR

WFR

Mighty tasty eatin'

7. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

I know I’m late, but…….

The only chukar here in MI are the ones raised by the hunt clubs… they are a neat & a VERY tasty bird for sure.

The last time I went to a ranch they had a year-end special on chukars (I was there to look at puppies & to hunt behind their parents)… they placed 20 of them out for a friend & myself… we brought 18 of them home… a few escaped (there were others out there from previous hunts) & one got turned inside out (Ooops! :)) so we left it there.

I used Federal’s #5 “Pheasants Forever” 2-3/4” Premium Wing*Shok High Velocity loads in my 12-gauge… $9.99 + tax at the local Gander Mountain per 25-round box… they pattern REAL well out of my shotgun using a Modified choke tube.