Going back

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Cracker7, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Cracker7

Cracker7 Team Glock

Went to the range today. Decided to take my red dot off and give the old iron sights a go. Why did i buy a red dot again? Haha. Iron sights are so much better. Shooting was so much fun. Even more so than usual. Rifle was so light and just as accurate. So I'm going back to iron sights on my Saiga. What are your guys thoughts on irons or scope?

Cracker7

2. maxxmojo

maxxmojo

Some people do better with irons while others do better with red dots, it's just a personal preference thing and dependent on what you're doing.

I don't mind irons and red dots are looking a bit blurry to my eyes these days,in which case I just use magnified optics for extended ranges.

3. the monk

the monk

Your going to be faster with the red dot especially at 75 yards and beyond but I think you should know how to use the irons before you go to the red dot.

4. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

I am faster with a red dot, but I have always preferred iron sights on all of my rifles.... Especially my AK's.

5. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

For 9,999/10,000 people, a sighted-in red dot is going to be faster than irons, so long as the optic has clean(ish) lenses and isn't broken.

That said, I do think that proficiency with irons is much more important.

Once a person is quick, accurate, and comfortable with standard irons, (for the rifle), at varying ranges, then it's time to consider an optic. ;)

6. UnjollyRoger

UnjollyRoger

I prefer iron sights too, even if they are crude and rudimentary.

I've tangoed with the thought of adding Tech Sights, but I just don't have the cash right now.

7. Cracker7

Cracker7 Team Glock

Been going to the range every weekend and shooting with the irons. Getting better each week. :cool: Not sure if I'd spend the money on those tech sights, as they cost as much as an AK. Lol :rofl:

Cracker7

8. UnjollyRoger

UnjollyRoger

Where are you buying AK's for $110? I want in on that. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  9. Cracker7

Cracker7 Team Glock

Ok, you got me on that one. But $110 for tech sights seems like alot of money I'm not willing to spend on them. You can get alot of ammo for that.

Cracker 7

10. UnjollyRoger

UnjollyRoger

Yeah, but I've tried them out and really liked them a lot, my friend has them on his and shoots much tighter groups with his tech sights than with his standard AK sights.

Might take the plunge on them soon, just trying to get my mag collection finished first.

11. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Ultimately I favor red dot sights. It's pretty tough for any AK to outperform my Krebs AK74k with my Trijicon T1 on it. It's both very fast and very accurate. I can't do any better with my issued M4.

That said, I do enjoy breaking out my bone stock Bulgarian AK74 side folder and running old school for an afternoon. It is a little harder to shoot with pinpoint accuracy, and is just a little slower, but it's not far behind and is both simpler and lighter. While theoretically it is the inferior rifle, I have no intention of selling it. Some people forget that performance always has more to do with the indian than the arrow.

12. Cracker7

Cracker7 Team Glock

I like that saying. I'm going to have to remember that one. Thanks.

Cracker 7

13. GOCANES

GOCANES

I have an Eotech on my DSA58 para. Took it off and found accuracy much better just with the iron sights.

14. CTfam

CTfam Never Surrender.

As much as I hate all kinds of crap hanging off my rifle, adding a micro red dot to my VZ has been a huge upgrade. WAY faster. Now I understand what the hype is about! Simply place the dot on target and destroy. Sorry I waited so long.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I find the red dot type optics would give me advantage at medium ranges and even then not by much. At longer ranges, they don't offer the fine sight picture of an iron sight front sight. At contact distances, it doesn't matter one whit.

16. the monk

the monk

Have you ever used one?

17. Cracker7

Cracker7 Team Glock

I agree with fnfalman. Irons are awesome on the AK, maybe not so much on my bolt, but on the AK= sweet. And I have tried scopes, dots and still find the irons to be the best(for me).

Later,

Cracker 7