close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going about suppressing a Glock 19.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by itgoesboom, Sep 6, 2006.

Tags:
  1. itgoesboom

itgoesboom

Just a few questions:

1. Who makes the best suppressor?

2. Who makes the best extended barrels?

3. Am I correct in thinking that 147gr loads would be the best for this purpose (most quiet)over 124gr and 115gr?

4. Anyone know how long the BATFE paperwork and signoff take?

5. Any other forum with significant amount of info on this topic?

Thanks.

I.G.B.

2. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

You should post this in the Free Fire Zone!

3. itgoesboom

itgoesboom

Yup...you are right.

I knew we had a forum on here for NFA stuff, but didn't see it with the other gun forums....

I.G.B.

4. jstforme

jstforme

5. jstforme

jstforme

6. jstforme

jstforme

last one i promise:

7. one_shift_eight

one_shift_eight

I'm trying not to sound like a liberal sheeple hear but why do you want a suppressor?

Honestly I am really curios about this.

8. Florida Glocker

Florida Glocker

Me too... why a suppressor??

9. T. Harless

T. Harless

Because he can man! Because he can.
    There's a class III dealer about 20 minutes from me. Simple economics is all that stands between me a suppressor. Looks like about $700 minimum with the stamp. That's a lot of beans for a new toy. Just a matter of time.

10. itgoesboom

itgoesboom

I am sure there are many reasons why a person would want a suppressor...

Me, I like the concept of not disturbing people while I am out shooting, not to mention, damaging my hearing if I, heaven forbid, had to use a firearm to protect my family. Even more important, I wouldn't want to hurt my young daughters hearing if I had to protect her.

But the real reason I am looking into these is because my boss mentioned that, even with plugs and active hearing protection (doubling up), that the report from his Glock is just too much for his hearing. Because of that, he rarely shoots anymore.

I suggested he get a suppressor, and let him know they are legal here, and offered to get information for him.

I.G.B.

11. T. Harless

T. Harless

Because it's soooooo cool! The rest of that crap is what you tell your wife. That's my position anyway.

12. budam

budam

Everyone seems to have a different belief on whose is better. The top 3 or 4 (SWR, AAC, Gemtech, AWC) well known manufacturers all do a very good job. They have been around for a while and will be here tomorrow.

A couple questions to help make a decision.

What do you plan to use it for?
    A simple tool is to take the cost of the suppressor divided by the "rated" DB sound reduction. This will get you the cost per DB reduction.

Note 3db increase or decrease is a 2x or 1/2 the sound. Humans can notice a sound difference roughly around 4-5 DB.

As such, is it worth paying $999 for 3 db better reduction vs. another can at $599 (at 3 DB louder). Usually not, unless you have money to burn or have to have the best there is.

When looking at sound reduction, find out if it is wet or dry. Try to hear the real deal and compare.

There are 3 well known after market barrel manufacturers out there. I have used KKM on Glock pistols and have been pleased. This does not mean that Barsto or Jarvis are any worse or better - I have been pleased with KKM to date.

Yes. You are trying to keep the bullet below the speed of sound so 147gr or heavier is the best. You can shoot 124gr or 115gr and it will be a lot quiter with a can than without but it will still be noisy You could probably get along without wearing hearing protection.

1-6 months.

There is always a better one, but subguns.com is likely the best.

If you have any more questions, leave your question hear and I am sure a bunch of us will answer it.

mark

13. amd4me

amd4me Coffee Snob

Thats reason number one for me.
    How many decibles get cut off the gunshot?

14. budam

budam

Well... :banana:

You may be shooting around an area where people always complain about shooting and you want to minimize complaints.

You shoot around animals and do not want to disturb them. A farmer with live stock who has his own small shooting range.

You have to put animals down that are injured and you do not want to disturb the neighborhood. Law enforcement is a good example. :rofl:

You enjoy shooting without wearing as much hearing protection. :shocked:

You want to reduce the amount of kick of the gun. This is common for people who bruise easily. :upeyes:

You like to hear the bullet hit the target! :wavey:

You enjoy the fun of having something others are too lazy to take the time to get! :tongueout:

You like to have fun! :hearts:

mark

15. budam

budam

It can be anywhere from mid 20s to high 30's. A lot depends on the weather, bullet, barrel, etc.

mark

16. danyanda

danyanda

As if I could ever own one (legally) here, but I would be interested in a suppressor just for the noise reduction. I hate loud noises. I use plugs and headphones when I shoot, and I would still rather have a quieter gun if it was possible.

17. Algaroth

Algaroth GADM \m/

If it's mainly because of hearing protection, get a pack of those orange foam plugs from Wal-Mart. Cheap, great hearing protection, and super easy to use. I use them for shooting, gigs, band practices, whatever.

EDIT: Those plugs also work way better than any headset at the range. The plugs fill up your ear canal entirely, whereas headsets just cover your ears. WEAK!

Then again, from NOT wearing earplugs from playing drums for 8 years or so has kinda affected my hearing as it is, so it just might be a different case for me.

So uhh... this post is pointless.

You can get better hearing protection for a lot less than what a suppressor costs.

Unless you wanna be James Bond. In that case, go for it.

18. budam

budam

So if I have a wet suppressor that gives me 41 DB reduction in sound, you guess that foam 26 DB plugs/headset will do better?

I'll take the suppressor and save my hearing...

mark

19. budam

budam

The plugs get around 23-27 DB reduction. Not even close to most pistol suppressors.

My headsets get around 26 DB reduction, better than the vast majority of foam...

For most people good quality foam or headsets are almost the same DB reduction.

Suppressor easily is the best to reduce noise by far.

mark

20. PaleGreenHorse

PaleGreenHorse 10mm

I always double up my protection. I use the orange foams plus a decent set of muffs.

The reason stated to not damage his kids hearing if the weapon needed to be used is my main concern with my 2 year old daughter. I think I might have to start paper work for one myself. PGH~