GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

Native Mainiac
I miss target shooting so much. I cant afford to shoot that often anymore thanks to the current state of affairs.

To all those who are price fixing, hoarding and scalping ammo 馃枙.
Think there have been a few posts last year about this time advising everyone to stock up.

Snooze and lose,

Registered
Who snoozed? I just cant replenish my stock at these prices so I don't practice as much.
Exactly....I had 4,500rds of FMJ in March 2020 and I thought that would get me through it and I could pick up enough here and there to cancel out what I shoot, boy was I wrong.

I shoot 2 or 3 times per week and now I'm down to less than 350 FMJ and about the same JHP. So now I'm tapped out I can't find anything and I've tried, so now I will just be sitting on what I have left.

Sure I could have saved much more and not went shooting but the point is to shoot and shoot often.

Let me correct myself when I say I can't find anything that is not totally accurate yesterday a local shop had 9mm in 50rd boxes for $50...There is not point at all in paying that much, I just won't shoot and like the above member I to feel like

Registered
I miss target shooting so much. I cant afford to shoot that often anymore thanks to the current state of affairs.

Did you not know it was so important to you?

Because here鈥檚 how my ammo buying year went.

Jan 2020, started hearing rumblings of Covid overseas. Thought 鈥渦h oh, this is coming.鈥

Ammo was still cheap and plentiful here. So I made sure I had my normal stock of 6-12 months.

Then it hit here in March and April and ammo prices started creeping up. Instead of $11 a box of my favorite ammo, it was $12.

So I bought more.

Then Floyd stuff happened in June and people started going nuts with gun buying and ammo started creeping up more.

But still plenty available for $15-20 a box.
And 22LR was up to about $0.06 per round.

So I bought a lot of 22LR to tide me over for other types of shooting while I rationed my 鈥渞eal ammo.鈥

Then I bought more 22LR in October when it looked like ammo is going to be scarce for years.

By that time everyone and their mother was talking about ammo shortages.

So which boat did you miss?

There were so many warnings and so many opportunities. If it really meant a lot to you, you鈥檇 have prepared.

Also, even though I鈥檝e shot a ton less this year I鈥檝e actually improved MORE by doing more dry fire and not wasting ammo screwing around when at the range.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Man, you people can't read can you? Who said I snoozed? Who said I missed a boat? I didn't. Did I say I don't have any ammo? I have a lot of ammo and I have been stocked up since 2007(Obama) and I reload. I don't have a lot of money to blow buying 10k rounds a pop to turn around and sell at an unreasonable price to rip off my fellow 2a supporters. I have a family. So you can shove your condescending comments. By the way, I don't screw around at the range. I practice with live fire and dry-fire so I don't miss when it counts. I started this post to see what others are doing to deal with the shortage. If you don't have anything constructive to say, get lost.

Registered
I'm down to <500 of 9mm now myself. I've switched to dry-fire with the Mantis. and .22 plinking because i still have a couple buckets of it.. I know, it's kind of pathetic, but what can ya do?

Registered
Even though I have lots of 9mm and other defensive calibers (and I reload and have lots and lots of supplies), it still makes me kinda sick to shoot more than maybe a box here and there of ammo, knowing how much it sells for now and how hard it is to replenish.

So, I've shifted what I spend my time and money on. I'll buy more magazines and I bought a couple suppressors. When I feel like I gotta shoot, 22 comes to the rescue. If I happen to be someplace already, and they have ammo in closer to pre pandemic prices, I'll buy some. If I see ammo online for a good deal, I might buy some of that too.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Registered
Man, you people can't read can you? Who said I snoozed? Who said I missed a boat? I didn't. Did I say I don't have any ammo? I have a lot of ammo and I have been stocked up since 2007(Obama) and I reload. I don't have a lot of money to blow buying 10k rounds a pop to turn around and sell at an unreasonable price to rip off my fellow 2a supporters. I have a family. So you can shove your condescending comments. By the way, I don't screw around at the range. I practice with live fire and dry-fire so I don't miss when it counts. I started this post to see what others are doing to deal with the shortage. If you don't have anything constructive to say, get lost.
So if you鈥檙e stocked up, then are you giving yourself a middle finger because you 鈥渉oarded?鈥

Nobody is buying 10k rounds at these prices to sell at the same prices.

People are selling stock that they have. Which you could do.

Why don鈥檛 you target shoot if you have stock?

You seem super angry at a lot of things and a lot of people. Maybe take up Yoga instead of target shooting?

Registered
Man, you people can't read can you? Who said I snoozed? Who said I missed a boat?
Ease up a little bit. You didn't give a lot of information in your original post, and it could reasonably be interpreted to mean you didn't have much ammo and couldn't find or afford much. That's what it sounded like to me.

Registered
Except that primers are just as hard to come by as loaded 9mm ammo. So, one would have had to have "hoarded" primers. So those of you who did get the same finger as those who "hoarded" loaded ammo. And those who didn't "hoard" primers are crying about prices and availability just like those who are crying about pricing and availability of loaded ammo.

Registered
I don't know what others are doing, but I'm using AmmoSeek to find ammo at more acceptable prices. I've slowed down shooting, but have found enough to replenish what I use, albeit at somewhat higher prices.

Registered

Air guns are great for trigger time and with the proper safety precautions can be used anywhere.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I just wanted to have a conversation. My point is and was that the ammo shortage sucks. I wanted to see what others are doing to mitigate the situation, if anything. We are long past "you should have stocked up."

Still no one has said anything about the price fixing, hoarding, scalping, or gauging. Is the practice ok or not? I think its not. What do you say?

Still no one has said anything about how people in our own community are taking advantage of 2a supporters. It appears our community is more diverse than what I thought it was, which is good.

Like I said, lets discuss the topic. You want to talk about how John missed the boat or John should have did x, y or z, go start you own post, I'm moving forward with the topic.

Example: Cheaperthandirt馃枙 ended up getting sued for price gauging. I wont shop there and haven't in years.

Example: targetsports usa馃憤 usually has some good deals on ammo, when its in stock.

Example: Air guns are a great way to practice and train, what air rifle/pistol to you recommend? My son(6yo) and daughter(5yo) both got their first red ryder bb guns this year. I like shooting them almost as much as they do.

I use ammoseek too, great website.

Is LAX ammo good ammo, when they have it in stock?

I hope new shooters don't abandon the sport because of the prices and lack of ammo. I'm glad they are here.

Registered
I don鈥檛 know if anyone is really mitigating per se but rather dealing with it in accordance with how much they have had on hand and how much they are willing to pay.

From March to July I built up the bulk of my .40 rounds, have a deal I am working with a friend who no longer shoots the caliber and is sitting on 2K more rounds. If I can score that and add it to the pile I am pretty well set on that caliber for a few years.

So then there is my dilemma of .380 auto and 10mm. I just started using .380 and it is just silly expensive so I have a small pile to put through it once a month or so but I am not paying no .80c a round for that stuff in FMJ. I missed out on a 500 round at .60c a round deal from Midway this AM because I wasted too much time updating my profile info, it went fast.

10mm I have less than 1k of and I am trying to keep it at less than .70c a round, .50c was my upper limit back in October, but here we are. Out of the calibers I use, 10mm is one I really want to keep up on because a G29 is just one of those guns.

There are so many ways to rationalize this, hold onto the stack and don鈥檛 go to the range, replenish it at a much higher price but put less rounds down range, shoot cheaper calibers like .22, etc.

My Ammoseek focus is on 10mm right now but I also bought a laser target kit for the G29 so I am hoping that helps me....stay on target.

Registered
In my opinion it was a miracle Glock introduced the G44 last January.

.22 rimfire, I鈥檓 stocked on those even with zero ammo availability at a reasonable price.

Registered
Think there have been a few posts last year about this time advising everyone to stock up.
This is the answer...

Give yourself the finger for not having stockpiled enough ahead of time, and promise yourself that you'll do so once prices crash.

Did you not know it was so important to you?
So I made sure I had my normal stock of 6-12 months.
To me, that would feel like low inventory... Having lived (and shot) through the '08 Obama panic and the '13 Sandy Hook panic, I now keep on hand 5-10 years of consumables (ammo and reloading components).

Except that primers are just as hard to come by as loaded 9mm ammo. So, one would have had to have "hoarded" primers.
Subtle distinction: It's not "hoarding" if you're going to use it yourself. Let's call that "stockpiling."

And yeah, I have 30,000+ SPPs stockpiled, bought back when they were cheap. I figure it's a 10-20 year supply, and they're not perishable...

We are long past "you should have stocked up."
No...

There are only two seasons: A time of plenty, and a time of scarcity; a time to stock up, and a time to be happy that you stocked up when you could have (or to kick yourself for not having failed to stock up when you could have).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts