close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Go tuna go!

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by noway, Jun 8, 2004.

1. noway

noway

Here's a good date meal, that's easy and simple and quick. And most importantly good!

2 10-12oz tuna steak or dolphin fillets
    1ea lg lemon & lime
    1/4 lb of Prosciutto or Mortadella ham cut thin but not to thin
    1 medium cipollini or white onion cut in medium-thick across the top of the onion, remove the center ring.

enough capellini pasta ( angel hair ) for 2 adults

1 small garlic clove peeled and slice and chopped fine

garlic-salt & peppercorn
    1/4cup of dry white cooking wine

>squeeze lemon & limes juice over tuna steaks/fillets and let this mixture sit for 10-15mins

>In one medium pot bring 2-3qts of water to a quick boil

>In a medium size skillet bring 4 tsp of olive oil ( italian or spanish ) to high heat but not smoking and add a spoonful of butter if you like

>Place pasta in boing water and simmer for 20mins or until pasta is well done and not hard or falling apart. Remove pasta from heat and strain.

(while the pasta is cooking )

>In the hot olive oil place steak/fillets after adding a pinch or 2 of garlic-salt and fresh ground black pepper per side.

> flip fish over after 5-7mins and cook for another 5-7mins or until the meat is done but not dried out. The tuna steaks will take on a light off-white color from their bright red coloring and will be slightly brown on the sides. The meat should be fully cook thru-and-thru

>On the side place ham, onions & garlic in skillet and stir fry until the onions are med-soft but not falling apart. Add a splash of white vino secco and sautee the mxiture.

Serve pasta with grated asiago/parmesan cheese and/or marinara sauce, when I have the time I like to brown and ground up a good spicy italian/spanish sausage and add the chunks to my sauce for the pasta. The ham compliments the tuna and goes very well. Serve fish steaks with onions & ham and pasta and add a good Pinot Grigio wine that slightly chilled ( my 2 pick are; Ecco Domani or Bella Sera )The ham compliments the tuna and goes very well with it.

This is one killer meal that easy to prep ( less than 45-60mins ) and tastes very good. You can subsitute any of the above fish with swordfish steak but the yellow fin tuna is the best. (Swordfish is very pricely ) You should beable to pick up the above items and prepare this meal for about $22 or less before the wine. The fish & prosciutto are the 2 most expensive items on the list. Add about 6.99-8.99 for thre wine and this would make a good dinner date meal or if you just one to impress your partner.

Buon appetito

2. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

If you can't drink it, don't cook with it. Use a dry white table wine instead. I like Sauvignon Blanc.

Sounds good otherwise.

Note: 20' sounds too long for angel hair pasta. I find that 10' is enough for al dente.

3. noway

noway

I cook with pompeain white wine and it is very good. I guess if it is not broken don't change it. It does great things to fish & pork. I might try that but I perfer to drink Sauvignon Blanc as in Robert Mondavi .

20mins for my pasta is about the norm, I let it boil rapido for about 5-7 and reduce the temp down and cook it out to about or near 20mins to get the tenderness that I need. The noodles don't stick and don't fall apart into mush.
    ;)

4. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

Don't get greedy, you can afford to give up a 1/4 cup of your drinkin' wine for the sake of the food. ;)

I would buy a cheap table wine for cooking before I put cooking wine in anything. Besides being too crappy to drink, it's usually salted.

5. Penman

Penman Goauche User

Sounds good! You might want to clarify that the "dolphin" is actually mahimahi, also known as dorado, and not the mammal, as in Flipper.

6. noway

noway

{ You might want to clarify that the "dolphin" is actually mahimahi, also known as dorado, and not the mammal, as in Flipper}

yep, not flipper the dolphin but dolphin the fish is what I'm talking about. I don't want to get any PETA or Greenpeace members feathers ruffle, thinking that I'm killing the Dolphins and eating them. :cool: