Go to My PC // logmein.com // Other options?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cali-Glock, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Hi:

I am exploring options for accessing my work PC remotely.

Go to My PC is the option which seems to get the most press, but the convenience to me is not worth what they charge.

I figured there had to be a software option, but thus far have not found one.

logmein.com seems to be a better option for me than GoToMyPC, their free service looks pretty good, though I would prefer some of the options they charge for. If I don't find something better, I'll try their free version, and upgrade later if need be.

Any other suggestions or insights to logmein.com services?

Thanks!

2. srhoades

srhoades

If your work PC is XP pro you can work with your IT guys and just use remote desktop. All your workstation needs is a static IP and port forwarding setup in the router.

3. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Logmein is one I've been using for years for remote assistance on family computers. The only thing really lacking in the free service for me is the ability to easily transfer files. Although I've gotten around that using Gmail drive as kind of a shared drive between computers. You can also set your box up as an FTP server, but that can have some security risks.

The other option I've played around with a little bit is using ssh/putty. It works well, for managing files, but not for interacting with remote GUI applications - at least not at my level of proficiency..

Hope this helps.

Joey

4. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Thank you both for your great replies!!

Unfortunately I have XP Home :upeyes: for my office PC, and we have no IT dept. I have considered upgrading to XP Pro for some other reasons, but it looks like those reasons evaporated, so I am waiting....

I had not even heard of the Gmail Drive trick let alone try it, but that is along the lines of what I was thinking for file sharing - though my initial idea was to FTP files up and down from my website.

Again, thank you both!!

edited to add. I think I will try www.yousendit.com to start out with for file transfers.

5. Pdawg

Pdawg Guest

Logmein is a great thing.

Its awesome that I can login to my wifes computer and configure stuff and help her out with me being anywhere in the world.

I do the same for my dad when he has issues.

www.logmein.com

yousendit.com is a great site too.

6. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

UltraVNC is even better than Logmein, I think.

Also, you can use hamachi to set up a VPN for file transfer.

7. dmx11523

dmx11523

I really like Radmin, but the built in remote desktop (web connection) is even nicer. www.yourpc.com and it provides you a login, and you are in.

A few steps you need to do before you get to what software or way to use.

The first step in this remote desktop thing is a static IP address

www.dyndns.org and register your name. Then download a Dyndns client that runs on your pc 24/7 and update changing ip address to a static name you can remember. Example: Yourname.homeip.net

If you need any help message me...

8. Perrito

Perrito Millennium Member

Check out ShowMyPC.com for remotely viewing and taking control of a computer (someone on the remote PC has to give you control) and Mediafire for online file storage. Both are free....

9. GAS34

GAS34

also check out crossloop.com

Its free