Go heavier on the trigger?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by GlockinStihl, Jan 29, 2020.

1. GlockinStihl

GlockinStihl Glocked out, have a new SIGness!

People are always asking if a 3.5 lb connector will cause legal repercussions. I ran across some older reading, and seen where you (Mas) "supposedly" suggested people use the NY1 trigger. Because it lessens the chance of a negligent discharge from the shakes, when you're scared and the adrenaline is pumping. Plus, with practice, you get accustomed to the weight, and you can be just as accurate with your pistola.

Was that something you did or still do think is a good idea ? I experimented with this myself. I didn't like the spongy feel of the NY1, but with my G29 and G32, I added a 6 lb striker spring. It adds some extra pull weight, and I did get used to it. I'm just as accurate as I ever was (maybe more so) with a 3.5 lb connector. I'm planning to try it with my Gen5 now.

I guess I posted this just to see if you really do think this is smart, and if so, it's now in this forum for others to see.

Thanks as always buddy!

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

I still think it's a good idea to have a firm resistance from the beginning of the trigger pull in any defensive handgun. In fight or flight response, our bodies experience vasoconstriction: blood flow is directed away from the extremities and into the viscera and major muscles to "fuel the furnace" for extreme exertion. This is what's going on when you see a frightened white guy turn pale, and it's the real reason we tend to become clumsy under stress.

We know that it's human nature for the finger to migrate to the trigger unconsciously in stress situations. The firm resistance of the NY-1 module from the beginning of the pull seems to be palpable even in a vasoconstricted state, sending the message "Hey brain, we're starting to apply pressure to the trigger, can we confirm we're really supposed to be doing that?"

I had good luck with the NY-1 combined with the 5.5-lb connector, but many prefer NY-1 mated with the 3.5/4.5 connector, a modification that has been Glock-approved and therefore very defensible for a decade or more.

I personally don't care for the NY-2 which I think passes the point of diminishing returns, nor do I like the NY-1 in the Gen4, for the same reasons. Parts dimension/angle changes in the Gen4 just don't seem compatible with a good trigger pull in Gen4 guns.

Because the Gen5 already has some firm resistance from the beginning of the pull, I see no need for NY-1 in those guns. FWIW, I feel the Gen5 has the best "street trigger" Glock has ever put in a pistol.

In hope that this has been helpful,
    Mas

3. GlockinStihl

GlockinStihl Glocked out, have a new SIGness!

@Mas Ayoob I actually think the Gen5 trigger feels like a Gen3 using a 3.5 connector and a NY1 insert. That's exactly how I described the Gen5 trigger when I first tried one. Gen5's have a little spongy feel, but it is a trigger I like the feel of.

Have you heard of any different springs for the Gen5's being developed?

4. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Not that I've heard of.
    Best,
    Mas

gp23 and GlockinStihl like this.