GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady had a crisis and another lady started a go-fund-me account. The lady who started it told some people and the people donated.

The account garnered some money but the lady in crisis never saw any money. But the lady who started the account started conspicuously buying some stuff. Somebody asked about the status of the account/money and the lady said the bank closed the account since it was only open for a specific period of time.

Then the lady said the bank mailed a check but the check got lost and there's nothing anybody can do about it. The money's gone.

My question is, is it a crime to open such an account under those circumstances and then just keep the money for oneself?

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Mentally Frozen
24,717 Posts
Yes.

Fraud by deception.

·
Registered
30,210 Posts
A lady had a crisis and another lady started a go-fund-me account. The lady who started it told some people and the people donated.

The account garnered some money but the lady in crisis never saw any money. But the lady who started the account started conspicuously buying some stuff. Somebody asked about the status of the account/money and the lady said the bank closed the account since it was only open for a specific period of time.

Then the lady said the bank mailed a check but the check got lost and there's nothing anybody can do about it. The money's gone.

My question is, is it a crime to open such an account under those circumstances and then just keep the money for oneself?
If the postal service is involved in any way, you bet.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yes. I would guess in every state there is a statute that would cover it. In MA it's
Larceny.
MGL Ch. 266 Sec. 30: (1) Whoever steals, or with intent to defraud obtains by a false pretence, or whoever unlawfully, and with intent to steal or embezzle, converts, or secretes with intent to convert, the property of another as defined in this section, whether such property is or is not in his possession at the time of such conversion or secreting, shall be guilty of larceny.
The statute is long, but that's the most applicable part quoted.
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter266/Section30

If the value exceeds $1200, it's felony. If not, it's a misdemeanor with a 1 year jail sentence. The dollar amount would be for the total, not each transaction. It's considered "larceny by single scheme".
https://law.justia.com/cases/massachusetts/supreme-court/volumes/350/350mass83.html

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,057 Posts
Sounds like a Job for Judge Judy

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I get when people really need help.

But this whole go fund me, throw a benefit, go to the food pantry crap gets annoying. Doesn’t anyone have any pride anymore. I’d spend every dime and charge up every credit card before I’d Lower myself.

·
Firm member
29,685 Posts
I get when people really need help.

But this whole go fund me, throw a benefit, go to the food pantry crap gets annoying. Doesn’t anyone have any pride anymore. I’d spend every dime and charge up every credit card before I’d Lower myself.
This. One came across my news feed due to a mutual friend sharing it, and it was the usual begging for money for heat, rent, food, etc., and the photo of the "destitute one" was a mirror selfie with an Iphone I can't afford. HH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts