close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GMRS? (Flame me!)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cali-Glock, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I know this is a Ham forum not a communications forum, but I figured this would be the place to post this.

I have a bit of property (13 wood acres) and we live in a small mountain community, and would like some hand held commuincations.

FRS radios are typically too cheap and to low power for my proposed uses, and Ham it more than we need, and opens up a whole new set of regulatory challanges.

Thus I am looking at GMRS ($75 family license) route, but many/most GMRS radios are marketed at the real low end FRS crowd.

Any suggestions for a decent 3+ Watt GMRS radio? I have been looking at the Midland G-300. Anyone have any experience with that radio, or have any alternative suggestions?

2. Guest

No flame, but have you thought about getting your Ham ticket? (Here's the opportunity for others to provide additional information!!) I'm not that up to date on licensing requirements or classes of licenses anymore, but I believe that it's fairly easy to get a Technician license.

This would allow you access to area repeaters, and higher power output.

Just a thought.

3. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I could get motivated enough... my wife on the other hand is an entirely different story.

4. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Don't feel bad. Amateur radio may not work for you in this situation, especially if some business-related communications come into play.

Regarding Midland, they make some good radios, but have you checked to see if any of the big 3 (Kenwood-Icom-Yaesu) or Motorola have anything. I'd be more comfortable with a big 3 or Motorola radio than I would a Midland.

Just my humble $.02 ...

5. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

go for HAM, you won't regret it.... but if you are too lazy to get a HAM ticket, why not just get a CB?

Edited to add: Sorry I just noticed you said "handheld".

6. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

I agree with uhlawpup on this one.

Stay with the top three (Kenwood-Icom-Yaesu), Midland is on the low side of price and performance.

;E

7. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Thanks guys! I'll take the advice!

8. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Given what you're using them for, there should be nothing wrong with a pair of Midland G-300's. I have a set of Midland G225's and I'm very satisfied with their performance.

BTW Getting your GMRS license online via the FCC's ULS ("universal licensing system") is a BREEZE. After you register, all you have to do is fill out a few simple blanks and the site processes your form 605. Click to go to form 159 (where you pay), enter CC info and it's done. Took me a grand total of 15 minutes start to finish.

I received my license six days later.

9. pck50

pck50

If interested I have a pair of brand new Vertex VX-800 w/keypad UHF Radios Thats the maximum allowed power of 5 Watts each. Two Desktop rapid chargers complete in ther original boxes unfilled warranty cards with also a technician manual as well for each.having a desk top speed charger, Lithium Battery again new in box, and also 2 - professional 3 wire surveillance mic earpieces brand new again in there boxes. and also can be preprogrammed too any UHF frequency you like for up to 99 channels with also a emergency programmable feature this are the same radios recently, also adapted by the US Secret Service, there also classified as public safety radios and are Mil. Spec.

Asking only $1,350.00 Complete with everything, even there technician manuals and also free programming for a total of up to 10 channels Free.

http://www.vertexstandard.com/index...rodID=EX0+CwC/p7Y=&DivisionID=64&isArchived=0

This are by far the ultimate radios for your needs.

Jetsetterone@yahoo.com

Pete

10. sacluded

sacluded

You can buy CB handhelds.

11. mattyk6

mattyk6

I've actually been looking into this as well lately.

This is what I've read online, haven't gotten a chance to confirm this or not.

So...

When you double the wattage, you only increase the distance by 1.4 times.

FRS radios put out 1/2 watt. Most handheld GMRS radios put out 1-2 watts.

Currently, I have two Motorola GMRS/FRS T5700 radios. They work pretty well.

12. pck50

pck50

Please do take some friendly advice never waste your money on nothing other then Vertex, Motorola, Icom And also Bendix those four are by far the finest units on the market bar none.

Pete

13. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

you know Vertex and Yaesu are about the same things right, since that was the only one you left off your list.

14. mattyk6

mattyk6

I believe that Vertex is the company that makes Yaesu. Yaesu is their amateur radio line. Standard Horizon is their marine line.

15. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

i didnt know that about their marine line