close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glutes Workout?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Esox357, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Esox357

Esox357

I need some exercises that will work my gluteus maximus to either tone or build muscle. I run and do stairs occasionally and lift heavy on legs but my glutes seem to be unaffected. Any suggestions? Thanks Esox357

2. Jaltered

Jaltered

Try step-ups. First without dumbells (or any other kind of weight) then with.

Use a study weight bench (or any other platform that requires you to bring your knee to almost a 90-degree angle when you step up. Do ten step-ups with your right leg doing the stepping, then do ten with your left leg doing the stepping.

Right leg dominant:
    -R leg, step up
    -L leg follows
    -R leg, steps down
    -L leg follows
    ***repeat***

Once you've done a set or two of that, if its not killing you, try adding 5-10 pounds of weight in each hand and continue. If you're stepping high enough, this will work your glutes quite well. Try to keep a moderate to fast stepping motion. Keep your back straight (think good posture), and don't swing your arms. Have fun, and tell me how it works out! :)

3. USPMAN

USPMAN

Deadlift. Learn the form first.

4. live-free-r-die

live-free-r-die Naked Pancakes

Stretch your hip flexors, they inhibit your glutes.

5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=4100&tid=51

Glute-ham raise. If you don't have access to a GHR bench, lay prone on the floor with your feet anchored under something and do "natural" GHRs. Natural GHRs are much tougher, so will need to use your hands for assistance.

6. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Esox,

When you say you lift heavy for the legs, what exactly do you do for them?

Do you squat? Do you deadlift?

Jack

7. git_r_dun0405

git_r_dun0405 5FDP

8. Berto

Berto woo woo

Deadlifts,Squats.As previously said,get the form down first w/ lighter weights and drop that can!!!:)

9. Esox357

Esox357

I do hip sled, smith machine, leg extension foward and back. I do the leg abductor and adductor. I lift alot of weight for the hip sled and moderate on the rest. Thanks for the info again. Esox357

10. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

It would appear you already have gotten your answer, squat and deadlift. And stay away from the Smith Machine.

11. California Jack

As far as unsolicited advice goes, Animal is right on the money.

STAY AWAY FROM THE SMITH MACHINE.

12. thaddeus

thaddeus Millennium Member

Try lunges followed up by hi-rep back extensions on the roman chair until your muscles are wobbling. Squeeze your butt on the extentions. Your butt will feel like jello afterward and get hard as a rock.

Squats are awesome.

I have had great success on the Smith machine. I understand the arguments against using it, but without a partner it allows me to push myself to failure. Those last couple reps are the entire key to a good workout.

13. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

WTF is wrong with the Smith Machine???

The smith is an awesome piece of equipment. It allows you to maximize weight without having the concern of having to maintain form or putting undue stress on the lower back. If you prefer free weight squats, more power to you, but dont go telling people to stay away from the smith especially novice weight trainers.

As far as glute exercises, theres nothing better than lunges to hit the glutes. Just add them to a normal hamstring workout including:
    stiff legged dead lifts, good mornings, and leg curls.

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

Fundamental no-no.Learn proper form,then gradually add weight.

That's what's wrong with the Smith Machine. :)

15. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. It does look that way after I have re-read it. In no way am I saying that the Smith replaces the need for proper form. You do still have to maintain proper form while using the smith machine. I can get a hell of a workout with 315 or 365 on a smith for reps doing 3/4 squats while some know it all next to me is loading up the free weights doing his 1/4 squats and feeling like he owns the gym.

I agree with your statement that the smith can keep someone from learning proper form, but seriously, how many people do you see in the gym using proper form on free weight squats doing at least a 1/2 squat.....very few. They are content with their 1/4 squats and keep adding weight before they can even do a set of full reps and then wonder why they see no growth in their quads.

16. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

To get very sore glutes

Nothing can beat lunges on a Smith machine.

Period.

Both feet slightly forward of the bar and step back with one foot to come down. Alternate both legs for about 10-20 reps on each leg.

Choose a weight that will allow you to come to failure on at the 10-20 rep range.

Guaranteed to work.

If you get good at using the Smith machine, you can advance the exercise using just dumbbells, but that's a lot more advanced.

17. Hydrilla

Hydrilla

He's saying to stay away from the smith machine because it makes you have bad form, you go through a range of motion that isn't natural and can cause injury. Leg presses, smith machine exercises, etc won't build mass anywhere near as well as free weight squats and deadlifts. Period.

18. California Jack

Hydrilla took the words out of my mouth. His range of motion statement hits the nail on the head.

Also, I think there is a commonly held belief that Smith Machines are dangerous and lead to injury.

I feel that especially novice trainers need to stay away from the Smith Machine. IMHO, I think telling novice trainers to use a Smith Machine is dangerous. This story is extreme and non-typical of Smith Machine injuries, but scary non the less....

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/ClubIndustry/2003/09/01/277052

Thaddeus, about training sans partner. I train in my garage by myself. I spot my squats with saw horses, and have never been worried about pushing myself. In your gym, surely there is a power rack to squat in. Have you tried that? Though if you find the Smith comforting, what the heck.

19. Berto

Berto woo woo

No worries on my end.:) Your observation on seeing improper form in the gym kinda prompted my response.The smith has it's benefits,but I'm always weary of seeing folks use it for heavy squats.
    I messed with the Smith the other day as the the cage was "taken" by some yahoo doing three other excercises in addition.;Q I hate the rearward path you take as you lock out...I had to move my foot position inward to come close to decent form using it.I f you use free weight form you end up pushing against the path of movement more than actually moving the weight.It just feels all wrong.:(

20. live-free-r-die

live-free-r-die Naked Pancakes

Hey guys, look at it like this. A smith machine is like a gun rest, you can shoot great off it but it will never make you a better shot. Smith machines are great for looking cool in the gym but the re-enforce poor form and de-train the stabilizer muscles of the body.