Glucosamine worth a try or snake oil?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ARP, Mar 13, 2017.

1. 29glock27

29glock27 版主是屄

I'm sure it's just the placebo effect for all of your dogs who improved with it.

Pointing out the placebo effect doesn't diminish a drug or supliment. It only displays the power of the mind.

2. thewitt

thewitt

Why would a dog exhibit the placebo effect? Heller?

Current Resident likes this.

3. kiole

kiole

My mother uses and it swears by it. She has had one knee replacement and needs a second. It's the only thing that keeps her going between surgeries. How much is placebo vs actual effectiveness who knows? But it's cheap enough through Amazon.

4. Detectorist

Detectorist

I've heard good things about Tumeric. Also, try a wheat free diet. It's helped me, a lot.

5. wyntrout

wyntrout

I take two different kinds of Osteo Biflex triple strength... one of each a day. I just started taking non-GMO beef gelatin powder since Christmas because all of my wife's folks/relatives were using that since last year and raving about the results. I also use turmeric and turmeric tablets with piperine and a lot of cinnamon in cereal and tea.
    I quit sugar and wheat and only use stevia sweetener... NOTHING with ASPARTAME! I take a lot of supplements as well as medications for diabetes 2 and high cholesterol. If you're taking a statin drug, you need to take a good COQ10 because the statins decrease the amount in your body.
    I also take apple cider vinegar and coconut oil and use unsweetened almond/coconut milk on my cereal. I do add stevia sweetener... usually Stevia in the Raw, because the unsweetened almond coconut milk needs help.
    I do use a LOT of butter, but organic or the Kerrygold butter from grass-fed cows.
    I mix up a warm water elixir every morning with a whole lime or small lemon and add apple cider vinegar, turmeric, ground ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, black pepper, rosemary and raw honey.
    I put milled flax, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, raw oatmeal, cinnamon, 5 ounces of blueberries, beef gelatin powder, and hemp hearts in with about an ounce of pumpkin seed-flax granola for a bowl of cereal/gruel for lunch.
    I'll be 71 in June and I'm trying to cover all of the bases.
    I'm trying to stave off joint problems and keep my central nervous system healthy.
    I do let up for dinner with a lot of medium-rare beef and lamb and pork with baked potato or brown rice or yellow rice(depends on the meat), chased down with decent Bordeaux... 2-3 glasses or more. And I eat a lot of nuts, especially raw almonds.
    I'm hoping that most of this stuff will help me. I'm sure that it's not hurting me. :D

6. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Agreed ... In my experience, quit, and the benefit tapers off, When you restart, the takes a few days to taper back on. I no longer experiment with quitting.

theglock likes this.
  7. ARP

ARP

You need to stop eating cereal, it has a ton of sugar, salt, and unneeded carbohydrate in it.

8. IvanVic

IvanVic

Tumeric has other benefits, too, but I've yet to find anything that works better than microlactin when it comes to joints.

9. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Homeopathy is bunk. It's just the placebo effect.

10. Altaris

Altaris

I had shoulder surgery April 1st last year. Dislocated my shoulder for the third time and got a Torn Labrum, and Chipped cartilage.

My Ortho surgeon strongly recommended that I take Glucosamine to help speed up the recovery. I of course have no basis of comparison, so I have no clue how fast I would have recovered without it, but if it is something that might speed this up, and might help rebuild to prevent ever having to do this surgery again, I am all for it.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  11. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

FWIW, Our elderly dog was having all kinds of joint issues and couldn't even jump up on a chair that was never out of reach for him. We started giving him glucosamine, 1/3 tab every day and within a week, he was back to his same old self!

After seeing the results with him, I started taking it for my back and nada! I guess it only helps in certain types of joint pain. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you. We got the Sam's version.

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Homeopathy IS NOT BUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    all of my Dr.s have Been Md.s that took it up.
    the Queen of England is treated by them and seems to have done quite well.

some self taught ones are in question.

13. Current Resident

Current Resident

Yesterday I went to the back Dr for refills. I started the Medroldose along with a , Silver Age, vitamin. I've also inquired with the pharmacist the interaction with the meds, she said go ahead with the glucosamine, it's going to be 90 days for you to get relief.
    At this point in life I've nursed a broken back and three bulged discs, I'm tired of taking the prescriptions. I've always been active and since this accident life has come to a crawl.
    I'm going to give this an honest try, I have nothing to lose.

14. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Been taking it around 15 years and it has made my knees a lot better.
    I remember it taking about 6 months to notice a difference, but was worth the wait. Recently had some knee pain and doubled the dose I was taking to 2 pills a day and it helped

15. Current Resident

Current Resident

Two days now I'm taking it with a meal. Later in the day I find I'm getting bad stomach ache. Is this a side effect for anyone?

16. wingspar

wingspar

Saw this thread last night, but too tired to respond. At the ripe old age of 45, I started having some serious lower back problems. A years worth of physical therapy helped on the short term, but around the age of 50 I started taking Glucosamine. Took 2 or 3 months to notice a difference, but it helped immensely. Keeping up with the stretches the physical therapist gave me is also a big part of my feeling much better. At age 70, I still take Glucosamine. A few years ago, all I could get in this town was Glucosamine/Chondroitin, no longer just plain Glucosamine, but I never noticed any difference due to the Chondroitin. After reading this thread, I had to wonder what MSM is, so I researched it. Looks interesting as my knees are fine as long as I’m sitting or standing, but getting up from my knees on the floor is getting very difficult, so I wonder if trying a product with MSM would be worth it. Does anyone have any experience with Piping Rock Advanced Double Strength Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM Plus?

17. wingspar

wingspar

Not for me, and I’ve been taking Glucosamine for 20 years.

Current Resident likes this.