Glucosamine worth a try or snake oil?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ARP, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Mick's Lady

Mick's Lady

Taarna, our Orange Lab, had ACL surgery, and it's helped her a great deal!

huskerbuttons, orangejeep06 and TBO like this.
  2. F350

F350

I had bad knees for years, I too took Osteo Biflex for years, It was suggested by the Ortho doc that was giving me Synvisc injections...

http://www.synviscone.com/what-is-synvisc-one.aspx

Recommendation is an injection every 6 months, at first once a year worked fine then it took twice a year, at the end an injection didn't last 2 months. When the left finally collapsed it was time for replacements. Synvisc worked for 10 years.

It takes about 30 days for the Osteo Biflex to have full effect, if it is going to work for you, while in Iraq I ran out and in 10 days I could tell.

Paul53 likes this.

3. ARP

ARP

Sorry. Does not qualify.

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

this HELPED after joint replacements with the soreness
    it helps with pain in my shoulder.
    it would be worth your time to try it.
    If it is working for you within 1/2 hour you will notice it working.

http://t-relief.com/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  5. Dave514

Dave514

Adding any building block your body needs, in which you are deficient, has the potential to be very beneficial. Is your diet deficient in this building block? Nobody can say. It doesn't hurt to try it. (watch your blood sugar and shellfish allergy)
    The best research has been that it has shown benefit for knee issues but the concept should apply for any joint in which cartilage repair is a concern.

orangejeep06 and nursetim like this.
  6. IvanVic

IvanVic

Try microlactin instead. You'll thank me. It comes in powder and capsules. Best joint supp I've ever used.

7. nursetim

nursetim

As for rotator cuff issues, it wouldn't work. More for joints. Sorry it didn't work for you.

8. theglock

theglock

Like I said, it might be psychosomatic, but I don't care. It's been working for me, either way. I used to experience hip pain after walking 100 yards. Now I routinely walk three miles a day, pain free. Worth the price of the stuff. I don't take any other drugs. I'll be 70 in June. I very rarely visit a doc except for an annual skin cancer check. I'm sticking with Osteo Biflex!!
    :^>

orangejeep06 likes this.
  9. janice6

janice6

My 18 year old dog has a bone spur and Arthritis in the knee of his one leg. I give him Rimadyl and saw some improvement. After 4 or 5 months he hit a plateau in his limping.

I tried some Glucosamine (since he's my dog and important to me) and after a month he seemed to walk even better. I'm not convinced for my consumption, but the vet said people report their dogs are helped by it.

10. OGW

OGW SAF

Full disclosure: I take glucosamine, too, but not because of anecdotal evidence. An ortho doc at Mayo pointed me to their information and said it might help me. I can't honestly tell if it does or doesn't, but I can't tell any harmful side effects so I take it for the possible benefits.

As ray said earlier, 50% of people are "helped" by placebos. I like science.

janice6 and orangejeep06 like this.
  11. boofers20

boofers20

I currently take it and have been for the last 10 years or so...the thing about it is that it takes awhile to finally kick in and heaven forbid if you miss a couple days you almost start back at square one. At least in my experience. ..

aircarver likes this.
  12. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I take it every day. Helps me quite a bit. I took an interesting path to what I take now. I tried one brand years ago, I don't remember the brand, took it for several months but felt no difference in knee pain. Tried a different brand. Same results. One day while at Costco and in a fair amount of pain I decided to try their brand. Within a week I could feel some improvement. I took the Kirkland Glucosamine/Chondroitin for a few years and thought I was doing well. One day I went in to get a bunch of stuff and accidently grabbed a bottle of the Glucosamine/MSM version. That helps me even more and I'm using it to this day.

13. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I don't know what Mayo clinic said about it, but am disposed to believe my own 10 year anecdotal evidence:
    It works.

14. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Check out Turmeric (Curcumin) for joint pain.

I used to take glucosamine with MSM and I think it helped. I stopped taking it because the naysayers said it was like eating hair to cure baldness.

I recently started taking Turmeric and the results have been dramatic in curing my joint pain. I do not believe this to be psychosomatic or a placebo effect.

MtnBiker likes this.
  15. techiej

techiej

We have 2 older dogs with severe arthritis and give them both the supplement. One is now (6+ months after starting) just about symptom free the other has seen no change at all. Probably going to be a similar experience for people.

Me, I'm just learning to deal with the pain...I have other problems that cause more discomfort.

16. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Exactly! And doctors are aware of this.

If you have bone-on-bone pain grit your teeth and drag your legs to the grave.
    Those semi-annual and annual shots to the knees give me 1 week of relief!
    I lost 2 years of my life because of a knee replacement.

With minor pain/injury or psychosomatic pain use whatever you can convince yourself works.
    If 2 dog-doo sandwiches a day make you feel better, DON'T GIVE UP THE DOG-DOO SANDWICHES!

If I sound bitter it is only because I am.

17. ARP

ARP

The up side is that I have never had a back, hip or knee injury requiring medical attention. So I do not have any pre existing conditions or damage other than normal wear and tear. Obviously I would like to keep it that way. My knee pain is minimal as in "self, should I or should I not take a nsaid to relieve the small amount of knee pain? Could this be the start of something worse? That is where I am at.

Additionally, I saw on the local news that there is a procedure that is being developed, that they harvest cells from your knee, incubate them and they grow cartiledge and then implant that back into the knee and it grows back.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Worked wonders for my 140 lb malamute.

janice6 and orangejeep06 like this.
  19. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

I take it in liquid form...a bit expensive but it seems to work for me. Not a dramatic difference. But enough that I'm willing to pay the price for that difference.

Pope-onna-Rope likes this.
  20. Pope-onna-Rope

Pope-onna-Rope

Anectdotal evidence, but yes, I take the Move-Free brand, works for me.

Every now and then I run out, think, oh, well.

Then the pain begins anew after a couple days, restrictive movements, fingers and knees affected.

I only take one per day ( should take two, can't afford it ) .

I should also do gelatin, what kind ? Brand ?