Glucosamine worth a try or snake oil?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ARP, Mar 13, 2017.

1. ARP

ARP

As I get older I am at the very early stages of joint pain. When not working I go and walk or ride bicycle or skate about 1 hour a day at a pace that raises HR to the 60-70% of max level. I have begun using low levels of NSAIDS. I know they can be damaging to the liver if used regularly and then over time their effectiveness wains and then higher levels are required to work, further risking lever damage.

I'm going to give it a 3 month trial. I'll go pick out a brand version of a vitamin I already use and give it a 3 month shot. I'll get back to you with some results, I'm about to get busy outdoors and this will give me a better indication if my condition worsens with additional use or it seems that the glucosamine seems to help.

2. Current Resident

Current Resident

I'm in the same boat. I don't think use those supplements but I sure am curious.

3. silentpoet

silentpoet

I believe it works to help rebuild connective tissue. I have had positive experiences with it.

4. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

Good luck, let me know how it works out.

Be careful, I don't know much about them but some things don't mix good together

5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

It's been positive for me. 53, very active, fitness level is still very high, but not doing as much as I used to.

6. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Worth a try.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Fred Hansen likes this.
  7. r3dot

r3dot

I wouldn't say it's snake oil at all.

8. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I took it in 2003 after shoulder surgery.My orthopedic doc was skeptical about my recovery and thought i would have limited use of my right arm.I took the glucosamine daily,it was expensive then,and i sincerely believe that combined with my therapy it helped my recovery. My therapist thought glucosamine was useful,my orthopedic doc not so much,my feeling was that it helped speed up my recovery.The ortho doc was very surprised that i regained full use of my arm.

9. The Hawk

The Hawk

I have had rotator cuff problems as well as hip and knee issues. I tried Glucosamine Chondroitin for several months. It did not help. However, my physical therapist said about 50% of his patients report that it did. I had rotator cuff surgery (which was successful) as well as a steroid shot in my hip (which also helped). I hope it works for you. Let us know one way or the other. Good luck.

10. theglock

theglock

I take one Osteo Biflex triple strength pill each day...for the past 14 years. I absolutely swear by it. Might be psychosomatic, but I had been limping from a sore hip for about a year. Some stranger suggested I try the stuff. "Cured" my pain in less than two weeks, so I've been taking it ever since. Instructions say take two or three a day, but I'm good with just one. YMMV

11. David2015

David2015

[Sorry this is a little long, but it might be of help to some of you with joint problems.]

My x-rays showed bone-on-bone in my knees. It got so I couldn't bend them without almost crying from pain. Had a devil of a time getting in & out of the car. Sometimes needed help getting up off of a low or soft cushioned chair. Went for weeks once not being able to put on or take off my own socks because it hurt so bad to bend my knees. I had been regularly taking the suggested amounts of Glucosamine & Chondrontin for over a year with little benefit.

My doc wanted me to consider having both knees done... but as much pain as I was in, I still didn't want surgery. You never know what kind of complications might develop and leave you worse off than before.

Then the year before last year, I was going into Baptist Hospital in Oklahoma City late one night while my mother was in there for a week. The security guard at the front desk saw me creeping along in obvious pain and offered a wheel chair and someone to push me. I declined.. but we got to talking about my knee issues. He said that a year earlier he had been in the same predicament.... walking with a cane and scheduled for knee replacement surgery.

He said he had been at his doctors office for a pre-surgery consultation. His doctor is the same guy who does all the joint repair work for the OU football team. There was a doctor there from England studying with the surgeon. After seeing the security guards' x-rays, the English doctor asked if he had been taking Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM [sulfer]? The guard said he had been. The English doctor then asked if he had also been taking gelatin along with it? The guard had not.

The English doctor said he didn't know why, but for some reason, the Glucosamine, Chondrotin and MSM were a lot more effective when taken with gelatin... that they had seen some remarkable results in cartilage being restored in knees and other joints.

The guard said after talking with his surgeon they decided it wouldn't hurt to put his surgery off and try what the English doctor had suggested. The guard said that with in just about 4 months he was walking without a cane. No knee pain. He had a photo of his before and after X-rays on his phone to show people. Before, it was obvious he had bone-on-bone in his knee joints. But months later there was a thin layer of new cartilage with black specks in it. The black specks were the old worn out cartilage working its way out. The guard appeared to be walking his rounds as normally as any healthy person walks. Said he no longer had any pain and never used a cane.

I thought.. what have I got to lose. So I went out and bought some Osteo Bi-Flex 5 with Loxin. Also bought MSM. Started tripling the suggested dosages. And I ate a couple of Boxes of Jello gelatin every day for 3 months. Within 6 weeks I was bending my knee all the way. Still had some pain but nothing like I'd had before. I could put on and take off my socks, and get out of chairs on my own. I eventually switched over to taking gelatin capsules for convenience. Now, If I sit for very long, my knees will get stiff and hurt for a few minutes when i first get up. But once I get to moving...I get around pretty good, with virtually no knee pain. I still use my cane for stability.. but I highly recommend the use of Glucosamine, Chondrotin and MSM.. but do it along with Gelatin.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  12. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    It helped one of my aging dogs.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

13. kdj70

kdj70

This thread has my interest! I'll try gelatin along with my osteo biflex.

Fred Hansen, Paul53 and David2015 like this.
  14. oldcop1971

oldcop1971

I've used MSM and the glucosamine, they have helped a lot with a bad knee I have that used to jump out of joint when I was working on the boo-lance picking up heavy people. I think you will see positive results.

15. ray9898

ray9898

You could give out an inert placebo and 1/2 the people would say it helped.

16. jmohme

jmohme

I don't know about on humans, but we had an old dog, that was nearly crippled with hip problems. A guy that my daughter knew have her to large containers of glucocimine gel caps and suggested we try them. We did and it made a noticeable difference in her mobility.
    Like I said, I won't claim that they work on people, but it sure seemed to on the old dog. She made another couple of years until we had to let her go.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  17. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

I would be more inclined to accept the Mayo Clinic report cited above than anecdotal reports stated here but the large supplement industry hopes you believe the anecdotal reports.

IamtheNRA and Paul53 like this.
  18. Z71bill

Z71bill

After putting our first golden retriever down because of joint problems when she was only 7 -

I started giving it to my other retrievers.

I take 2 a day - my Golden Lacie gets one a day same pill.

Dr. Bill, orangejeep06 and TBO like this.
  19. OGW

OGW SAF

It's the difference between believing what you want to believe and what's for real. That can be applied to other aspects of life, too.

IamtheNRA and orangejeep06 like this.