close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gloomis rods anybody have one?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, May 24, 2006.

1. noway

noway

Any body using gloomis rods for fershwater (bass and panfish )?
    any feedback on their lineup?

2. suckersrus

suckersrus

The only rod I like better than a G-Loomis is a Lamiglass.

No bass or perch here, just salmon, trout, and dollies.

I've had way too many rods busted by mean salmon to ever buy another cheap rod.

I have 2 lamiglass "Kenai special" rods that are perfect for red salmon. I think they would be perfect for bass. And the warrantee is great. If I bust one, it goes back for repair or replacement and I use the spare.

I have built a couple rods for myself using G-Loomis blanks. Great action.

3. noway

noway

I might have to look into that Lamiglass rod. I heard about them but don't know of anybody that uses them. I didn't realize they had a big selection for freshwater fishing,

hmmm.... back to the drawing board.

Right now I'm using the Falcon Rod for almost everything and a friend shipped me a loomis to try out. Looking for a reel to slap on it this weekend.

4. suckersrus

suckersrus

They are a Pacific Northwest company so they focus on steelhead and trout, etc.

Their Kenai King rod would be a super catfish rod, I think.

Check out their prices. http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=49
    Their warranty is the best I could find.
    "Lamiglas rods are warranted against defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the original purchaser, unless otherwise stated*. http://www.lamiglas.com/warranty.php
    I think Fenwick used to give the same warranty but no longer??

Some of the local merchants stock them here and have an annual sale where we can pick them up for a little over $100. Check page 2 of the ad.
    http://www.soldotnahardware.com/content.asp?CAT_ID=14

5. noway

noway

will thoses prices are little out of my budget.

6. suckersrus

suckersrus

The rods I have built are worth at least twice the amount I have into them and they are "custom" rods. You can go that route.

I took a class here locally during a winter. We make group buys on rod blanks, handles and materials to save money

I have a G-Loomis flyrod (5 weight I think) I built for about $200 that I have been offered $500 for several times. But it seems to fit me perfectly, handles all trout and salmon up to Cohos easily. I put the spine on top for max range. It doesn't try to twist in my hand and does not wear me out. When someone looks at it and says "Nice" I grin like an idiot and keep fishing.

Note: All my good rods reside in a hard case unless I'm fishing. It is too easy to injure a rod with a simple nick or tap. Later, while fighting a fish it will fail.

7. banded

banded

I have fished with loomis in the past.. I found a rod made by Challenger. They are some great rods... They also offer instore lifetime warranty... Can't beat that with a stick...

8. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

I hate to say it, but I have eleven G. Loomis rods. I had three of their freshwater rods (two spinning, one casting) before moving to Alaska in 2001. I picked up the rest up here. I used to work at a sporting goods store that offered a employee buyer program directly from G. Loomis, so I got them at a substantial discount.

I like Loomis rods a lot. I like just about everything about them, but I don't know that I would readily pay full price for them. I like Lamiglass's salmon rods and St. Croix's freshwater rods as well. Both Lamiglass and St. Croix offer high quality rods that are less expensive than a similar model from Loomis.

Loomis brags about their lifetime warantee, but I have never been been able to get one fixed for free. I always needed to send it in. The last replacement from Loomis cost me $30 in shipping and a 2-week wait. If I wanted an instant exchange, I had to pay $40 dollars to swap the rod at a Loomis retailer. With Lamiglass, several local retailers simply exchange them for free. If I had it to do all over, I would buy a different brand.

9. agarr

agarr

I use Loomis rods quite a bit.

They are wonderful gear.

Look hard at All Star if you can find them locally. Good stuff as well.

I also have a bunch of Ugly Stiks that still get the job done.