close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GlockTalk Please Help me help.. Need info

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NashvilleGlock, Jan 14, 2010.

1. NashvilleGlock

NashvilleGlock EMT-Paramedic CLM

I am trying to get information on joining a team in Haiti to help. As some of you know I am a CCT Paramedic, Firefighter with ACLS, PALS, PHTLS and HAZMAT at the OPs level.

I am hoping to find a team already on the ground or one that is getting ready to go. I can get myself to FL or even to Haiti if needed on my own dime... There is also another Firefighter on my Dept that would like to go as well but we do not want to go freelance.

I am a HAM operator and have mobile equipment I could take. If there is anyone that has the information, connections that could help us out please let me know ASAP. We can bring our own equipment etc, we are self sustaining just need to be part of an organized effort. From search and rescue to triage, to medical treatment and hospital help, please help us, help..

NOTE: Please no comments about the dangers of Haiti etc, I know the risks, I know about the crime and total lawlessness that is going on.. This is something I NEED to do.

hoofguy@gmail.com

Cory

2. norm357

norm357

Good luck and God speed. Contact the state dept for the answer to your question.

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

NYPD and NYFD has already mobilized a team, and is waiting on the word "go".

I think USMC and USARMY are going in 1st to help stabilize.

Good luck, and good for you. I have many friends from Haiti, and have done some on&off work with a few of their popular citizens.

'Drew

4. major

major Rejected member

don't know but maybe contact your local Red Cross and see what they say.

5. Resqu2

Resqu2

I'm sure FairFax, VA is going, they always do. You may make a call to there headquartes and see if they have any Info. If my job would allow I would love to join your group.

Good luck and staf safe if you make it over there.

6. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I can't offer anything other than to urge you to get all your vaccinations current, especially malaria, but you probably already know that.

Greg

7. NashvilleGlock

Already checked into the Fairfax team and they left last night, volunteering is harder than you would think.. The problem is most org's don't want last minute members and pay for their trip etc..

I'm willing to pay for my expenses if I can just join a team already there and organized. Basically show up geared up, packed up and ready to be told what to do. I've got a few calls into the Catholic Relief Services who already has a team on the ground but haven't heard anything back yet. Already talked to the Dr about Anti Malaria meds (there is no vaccine) and have Hep A, B etc.

Come on GT somebody has to know somebody here! Between the HAM, Search and rescue, and medical I know I'd be a valuable asset to a team.

8. blueiron

blueiron

Have you contacted Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)?

9. NashvilleGlock

Yes I've contacted them as well, they referred me to idealist.org and they have nothing.. Catholic Relief Services has a team on the ground and I'm trying to get with them or a group called Help Brings Hope for Haiti..

Someone has to know somebody that can point me in the right direction and I'll find them when I hit the ground..

10. Resqu2

Resqu2

Buddy, if your set on going, I believe I would just take off, I'm guessing flying is the only way? As bad as it is there I'm sure you could get hooked up with a group that need professional assistance with out any problems.

I'm surprised that it's that hard, they sure make it easy to give money. I'm guessing your in for a sad mess, at least here in the states when you do make a rescue and its a critical patience you have somewhere to send them, there what hospitals they do have were destroyed or that seems to be the news I'm hearing.

Be careful and watch your back, have you ever been involved in a disaster before? I haven't and I think I would be shocked after getting there, or have a feeling of hopelessness.

11. Resqu2

Resqu2

Here is 2 groups you can check with:

Mercy Corps is sending a team of emergency responders to assess damage, and seek to fulfill immediate needs of quake survivors. The agency aided families after earthquakes in Peru in 2007, China and Pakistan in 2008, and Indonesia last year. Donate online, call 1-888-256-1900 or send checks to Mercy Corps Haiti Earthquake Fund; Dept NR; PO Box 2669; Portland, OR 97208.

•International Medical Corps is assembling a team of first responders and resources to provide lifesaving medical care and other emergency services to survivors of the earthquake. The IMC previously helped recovery efforts after September 2009's earthquake in Sumatra, Indonesia, and the massive 2005 earthquake in Pakistan. Donate to the International Medical Corps through their 24-hour hotline at 800-481-4462

12. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

I ran into the same type of obstacles when I tried to help in the Gulf after Katrina.I tried everything to get down there.Never did make it.I would imagine it will probably be even harder for you as this one is out of country.Good luck...

13. trifecta

trifecta

Cory, It is so cool you actually feel well enough take on something like that after the year you've had. I'm sure you already understand why they don't take on folks at the last minute. Good luck in your search and in the near future, look into your state Task Force. I think it runs through FEMA, at least it used to, and that is what gets the official call for assistance.

Stay safe.

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

You're a good soul. Good luck!!

15. madcitycop

madcitycop

Contact FEMA. They will federalize you and mobilize you with a team. Contact the office in Orlando as this is most likely the mob point to go down there. When I worked during Katrina Orlando was the base of operations.

16. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Not a DRT member, but I know a couple.

The day after a disaster is perhaps the worst time to try to join a team. They prep together, train together, have an equipment list, etc., beforehand, so they're ready to go when Bad Things happen, and are working off the same page of intentions, training, and plans.

I know you're well-trained and have your heart in the right place, but nobody in their right mind is going to take someone off the streets, whom they've never met or worked with before, to a disaster scene, no matter how well-qualified you are. MAYBE if one or more team members had worked with you before, but even then... taking someone who hasn't been in your meetings, worked from your playbook, learned your procedures, etc. seems a great way to get someone hurt or killed.

Don't mean to be a downer, and I deeply respect your desire to contribute. Just suggesting that it might better take place in a long-term, coordinated way, than last-minute, as an ad hoc project.

17. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

CNN just reported that all flights from US to Haiti have been shut down.They have aircraft in the air waiting to land with rescue teams and no room in airport for anymore aircraft.

18. titan99

titan99

Don't know of any teams going but getting there this may help.

American Airlines is taking doctors,medics, and nurses to Haiti for free. Call 212-697-9767

19. NashvilleGlock

Ok heres what I have so far..

"American Airlines is taking doctors,medics, and nurses to Haiti for free. Call 212-697-9767" Was proven to be a hoax and they are not flying anybody. Jetblue is flying vetted Dr's via Dominican Republic..

None of the numbers above were able to help but I am having some luck around the area. I am expecting calls from several groups and got an email from an Orlando group that will be meeting Sunday to set up a medical team. I've also found out quite a bit about Catholic Relief Services efforts and am sure I could do some good there.

From administering vaccines, antibiotics, trauma, search and rescue, communications etc I'm sure there is PLENTY of work I can do down there with my background. Trauma is trauma and sickness and infection act the same there they do anywhere, signs and symptoms are the same etc.

We are looking into meeting up with a few groups but essentially going it alone with just me and 2 others from the Dept. We can fly into the Dominican Republic round trip for under 400.00 and from there buses are running round the clock with relief and workers. I'm thinking we will just roll with it and see where we end up, going to get shots and anti malaria meds tomorrow and then hopefully we'll be off on Monday if all works out..

Thanks for all the info so far but still looking for that "see ya when you get here" group ;-)

20. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter