Glock Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I purchased a "Thug Plug" from the GlockStore around Xmas of last year, and I noticed a crack starting to develop at the base of the grip starting to develop. It looks as if the plug may be oversized? Seems like the screw is pushing directly on the crack, and it looks offset in the hole in the direction of the crack.

Has anyone seen plugs causing cracked frames? I called the vendor to see if this is a known issue and they said ".. This crack looks unrelated to the thug plug. You would have to contact Glock for information on repairing your frame.. "

Pistol: Glock G35Gen4
Purpose: Add weight to frame for gun games. Not defense of any kind.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
At SHOT Show a few years back, Glock stated that grip plugs inhibit the frame from properly flexing [under recoil] as designed.
A rubber grip plug would interfere with frame flex? That sounds like a reach to me. A metal weighted plug, like I think that slug plug or thug plug I could see that happening.

Sent from deep behind enemy lines in the liberal bastion of Denver, Co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you, I have no intention of submitting a claim with Glock, as GlockStore wants me todo. It does not make sense to ask Glock to warrantee use of a 3rd party product.

The plug is metal as is the screw. Tightening the screw harder into the plug does not _increase_ pressure into the frame. I believe the fact that the oversized plug into the frame caused the frame to crack, the screw was the pressure point.

Screw is too tight, it's absolutely what caused the crack.

Is the plug metal and polymer?

Not being a dick, but I believe you are on your own. No warranty issue on Glock's part.

Sorry

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
FireMedic-50 nailed what I would have guessed caused the issue. I would just take the plug out and throw it in the dumster. Or better yet send it back to who made it and kindly ask for your money back. You get further with nice. Either get a plastic plug from pierce or leave hole blank. Crack should not extend.
If it bothers you enough Glock could replace the frame, but possibly would charge for it. 100 minimum plus shipping back to them so 150. All said and done. Id just throw the plug away and do nothing.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
The Bible on Butt Plugs says "for whatsoever a man soweth, that also shall he reap."

But crack propagation has fortuitously been terminated by the lanyard hole, no doubt without design nor intention by the Thugs at GlockStore.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
lamelogin
Definitely loose the plug brother.

Once removed I don't think it will grow, but I am NO longer associated with the professional friends psychic network...

If it would grow or bother you, as mentioned previously you could get a new frame.

just a thought

·
Registered
717 Posts
There is a reason Glock doesn’t come with a grip plug. If the company that sells or produces these stood behind their product they wouldn’t be asking you to ask Glock to fix, they would take care of it. Just saying.

·
"Tactical Elf"
3,114 Posts
Greetings,

I purchased a "Thug Plug" from the GlockStore around Xmas of last year, and I noticed a crack starting to develop at the base of the grip starting to develop. It looks as if the plug may be oversized? Seems like the screw is pushing directly on the crack, and it looks offset in the hole in the direction of the crack.

Has anyone seen plugs causing cracked frames? I called the vendor to see if this is a known issue and they said ".. This crack looks unrelated to the thug plug. You would have to contact Glock for information on repairing your frame.. "

Pistol: Glock G35Gen4
Purpose: Add weight to frame for gun games. Not defense of any kind.
Plug and screw caused the failure. Note: the deformation of polymer near the bottom of the lanyard hole. This was cause by the screw originally causing stress at this point when it was installed. Likely due to not fitting very well in the first place, IE plug was to tight.

I have seen frames crack in this area before, and it was always due to a channel plug screw or magwel screw that was continually tightened, the type of screws with a large head on it.

Over a period of time and the recoil impulse from shooting, the weakest point failed.

Glock will replace the frame if so desired, but it will have to be purchased.

The crack will not get any bigger, or continue. The frame itself is perfectly serviceable and would still provide a lifetime of service.

TXPO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.