Glock's weak spot

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tercel89, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Full Semi-auto

Full Semi-auto

21089277-95C1-4B73-8990-285DF10D0C03.gif

I've only seen you attack Dave when he so much as thinks about a Taurus, bull, or April-May.

Intolerant and Deputydave like this.
  2. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

And yet your very first post in this thread is attacking me :rolleyes:

I don't go after you in thread after thread. If you didn't continually attack me in thread after thread we'd never even speak. So you are doing the exact thing you accuse me of doing.

Same here. I'll go with the amount of likes I've received vs. the amount you've received. And it seems others know your 'record' on GT as well.

Once again, I don't follow you from thread to thread. So you want this to end...end it. Don't talk to me and don't talk smack about me. Simple as that.

Rocks, Klatch, Turnkey7242 and 2 others like this.

3. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I have tried to point out some issues with Taurus that he will never admit - it's like talking to the wall. Taurus is better than sliced bread to him. I am not the only one who has done so. There are several others he goes round and round with... I cannot help but comment when I see someone bending the truth or won't acknowledge facts.

4. ShipWreck

My "Likes' are lower because I quit posting on the forum for a few years. And, when I did post a lot (years ago) - there was no "likes." Much of my previous time on here was before that system came about. I've only become more active on this site more recently. Before that, I would only pop in occasionally.

Anyway - you are correct - I did come onto this thread. So, I will bow out.

5. Deputydave

And there ya go again. You want it to 'end' but just can't seem to do it :rolleyes:

So here's the news flash, I live in America. I don't have to agree with you. I have every right to disagree with you. The 'issue' you like to bring up with Taurus is, imo, a non-issue. And I'm allowed to feel that it's a non-issue and I'm allowed to voice that opinion. None of that violates GT policy. If that bothers you so badly and triggers you...use the ignore feature. I believe you said you were going to do that...so follow through.

So yeah, I like some of the products Taurus offers. So yeah, I actually have owned and shot the pistols I've discussed. Not everyone can say that. And that's a fact. So if you don't like Taurus then don't like Taurus. I don't care and it doesn't bother me one whit. But if my opinion of Taurus bothers you...that's your problem, not mine. If my comments on Taurus trigger you to the point you become a troll and follow me from thread to thread looking to cause an issue, that's on you not me...use the ignore feature.

So don't be a hypocrite. You want there to be no issue between us....stop making an issue in multiple threads. Again, I don't go after you and if you'd stop your attacks then we'd never even speak on this board.

Rocks, Full Semi-auto and Intolerant like this.
  6. Intolerant

Intolerant

I dont ever remember cracking a glock slide with any of the glocks i`ve ever owned, but that dosent mean that it can`t happen. I`ve not been here in GT all that long, but how is it a problem with glock pistols when you see so many people saying how many thousands of round fired thru them. Nice to see the Gen5 got a little more meat added to the front of the slide though. Pretty sure i`ll be adding some Gen5`s to my collection, as soon as this turmoil in this country settles down.

Deputydave likes this.
  7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I don't believe you. In fact, after 30 years of shooting Glocks, working for law enforcement agencies that used Glock, competing with Glocks, etc., I have never once seen the end of the slide break there, or even heard of it. I think you made your complaint up from thin air.

OdinIII and buster55 like this.
  8. Deputydave

9. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I have seen a broken one, and it does seem to be a weak point, relatively speaking.

But if I were Glock, given that it only comes into play for extremely high round count or dropped guns, I think I would continue to keep it cheaper, lighter, and not worry about it. If a thousand break a year and one hundred of those come banging on my service department door, it is cheaper to individually address it than incorporate a heavier, costlier fix. They clearly are aware of it, since they beefed up the Gen 5's, but like most things, it is a continuum. Impossible to break would cost far more and add weight (and change slide dynamics due to weight).

If it is very tiny issue, I'd put tiny amounts of thought and tiny amounts of money into solving it. It is a reliable firearm. The incremental gain by undertaking improvements would never show up on the bottom line, and companies are about profits and the bottom line.

Babysinister and ShipWreck like this.
  10. ShipWreck

I agree with ya on that. It doesn't seem to come up very often at all.

boilergonzo likes this.
  11. Charlie Glock

Charlie Glock

If this does happen, will Glock cover the cost of repair?

12. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I doubt it. I wouldn't.

But individual cases can be handled in an individual fashion by Glock. Glock would get to decide. If it became a common event and an ongoing source of frequent frustration for many Glock owners, they would come up with a response. But given that the vast, vast majority of us on this forum have never had (and will likely never have) this issue come up, it isn't an issue worth creating a policy for (other than "abuse", "out of warranty", etc.).

If I dropped my slide on my concrete garage floor and it broke at that location, I wouldn't be calling Glock names and swearing. While I might be swearing, it would be directed at myself (not Glock!). Regardless of if an H&K, Taurus, or CZ would have taken the abuse any better, it is still my carelessness and my mistake.

Charlie Glock and Deputydave like this.
  13. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

"QUOTE"
    You admit to owning a Taurus, very brave of you.

So do I--G2C/9mm--its purple, stainless slide, carried in a purple IWB holster. NICE PISTOL. And it has a thumb safety.:p

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  14. Rock2411

Rock2411

My agency just had a cracked slide, Gen 5 with less than 300rds through it. Left rear when taken off the frame and dropped on concrete floor during cleaning.

15. ViperR

ViperR

If you are worried about it, get a 34, 35 or a 48 that has a much longer metal area because the slide & barrel extend beyond the end of the dust cover of the receiver/frame. This way, they all use the same recoil spring assembly.
    This is my G48 which is just as long and beefy as the Taurus: 20200925_112607.jpg

16. ShipWreck

Yes, I agree. Certain models don't have this issue.

But, I think this is mainly an issue if you drop the slide while it is off the gun.

I've seen polymer frames messed up really bad by dropping them. Anything can happen if ya drop something

boilergonzo likes this.
  17. ViperR

ViperR

And if a G34,35,48 disassembled slide does fall on the floor and lands on the muzzle end, all that will happen is the end get marred up. No cracking or bending of a thin one.
    But, it is nice to see that Glock did thicken up that area on the Gen 5's somewhat.

18. bigbrother1984

bigbrother1984

I agree. Good idea if you want it to break apart in the middle of a match and lock up your gun. I have seen it happen at least a dozen times between Glocks and 1911’s .

OdinIII likes this.
  19. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

I’ve heard that the dual spring In the Gen4 eliminates the issue. In any case it’s very cheap insurance to replace the recoil spring every so often if you shoot a lot. I love my Gen4 19 and have full confidence that should I ever have an issue that Glock will correct it quickly. Right now there’s not enough ammo to be found to worry about cracking a slide.

20. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Because Glock prides themselves on the 19,23,17,22 being the lightest guns in their respective classes. As an example my comparable XD guns are beefier on the slides and the frames but they weigh about 4oz more. If you carry for extended periods of time every ounce of weight that you can shed counts.

ShipWreck likes this.