GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me it seems that the weak spot on Glock pistols is the area at the end of the slide that hangs down and accepts the recoil spring assembly. I have seen a lot of them broken and bent. I got to looking at my other guns and all of them have very beefy areas in the same spot. I wonder why Glock is so slim and thin in that area ? When you drop a Glock slide , it seems that this is the area that gets broke or bent.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
To me it seems that the weak spot on Glock pistols is the area at the end of the slide that hangs down and accepts the recoil spring assembly. I have seen a lot of them broken and bent. I got to looking at my other guns and all of them have very beefy areas in the same spot. I wonder why Glock is so slim and thin in that area ? When you drop a Glock slide , it seems that this is the area that gets broke or bent.
It’s even thinner on Gen4 models. I too have seen high round count Glocks crack there. Best thing one can do is keep a fresh recoil spring in the about every five thousand rounds. Recoil springs are dirt cheap.
They also tend to crack from the bottom of the ejection port down to the rail grove on the slides but we’re talking about extremely high round counts. More rounds than 99% of Glock owners will ever shoot.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Does anyone use a shock bloc between their recoil spring and the slide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Do you drop many Glock slides?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
To me it seems that the weak spot on Glock pistols is the area at the end of the slide that hangs down and accepts the recoil spring assembly. I have seen a lot of them broken and bent.
What is “a lot?” I ask because this has been brought up before and it is a pretty rare event. A rare event that is precipitated by user error. In fact, I can’t think of any instance where I’ve seen that part of the slide fail because of use.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
What is “a lot?” I ask because this has been brought up before and it is a pretty rare event. A rare event that is precipitated by user error. In fact, I can’t think of any instance where I’ve seen that part of the slide fail because of use.
They do crack in that area but not at round counts most people can afford. Range rentals and training Guns that see constant use and high round counts are the ones that see cracks in that spot. I wonder if the ones that have cracked there ever got fresh recoil springs over their lifetime of useage.

·
Registered
74,421 Posts
I think the weak spot is the slide lock spring in gen 1-4. If it fails,
the pistol in inoperable and the slide can come off the frame.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I had a Browning HiPower slide crack from the front corner of the ejection port to the slide rail.
Things happen, even to the greatest pistols.
Funny how there are complaints about breaking the slide when dropped. BTW, don’t drop the slide on the back corner of the slide either...they crack on the bottom.
I know, ‘cause I read it here.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Why doesn't Glock beef the part up in case it drops? Schit happens...

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I became curious about this so I took the slides off several of my pistols to compare.

From left to right, HK USPc, Glock 26 and Sig P365.

Taurus G3.

So of these four examples, Glock is the thinnest. The HK is next although it has the recoil reduction system. The next thickest is the Sig and the Taurus is simply a beast in that area.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I became curious about this so I took the slides off several of my pistols to compare.

Taurus G3.

So of these four examples, Glock is the thinnest. The HK is next although it has the recoil reduction system. The next thickest is the Sig and the Taurus is simply a beast in that area.
Yep , same here in all mine , the Glock pistol is the thinnest in that area. My CZ's in steel and polymer , S&W M&P , Beretta M9 , and the Ruger P90 in my avatar here are all beasts and strong in that area.

Reactions: Deputydave

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,954 Posts
Why doesn't Glock beef the part up in case it drops? Schit happens...

Yes it is susceptible to damage from a drop. That is exactly why Glock reinforced, and made larger, this area in the Gen5 pistols.

TXPO

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I got curious so I took another photo. G19.5 on the left and G26.4 on the right (same G26 in the pic in an above post).

It does indeed look like Glock slightly beefed up this section in the Gen 5. Not a lot but it does look like an increase in thickness. Perhaps still slightly less than the HK pictured above. Overall still have to tip the hat to both Sig and Taurus in the thickness of this part.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Taurus G3.

You admit to owning a Taurus, very brave of you.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,370 Posts
You admit to owning a Taurus, very brave of you.
Don't even get him started. Taurus is the best for him, according to him. And, he joins the Glocktalk forum but complains about Glocks all the time.

Back on target - I like the changes that Glock has done to the 5th gen models. They are what have drawn me back into Glocks. And, I've bought 3 in the last 2 months now.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Don't even get him started. Taurus is the best for him, according to him. And, he joins the Glocktalk forum but complains about Glocks all the time.
Hey genius, that's one of my buddies I use to work with. We rib each other because that's what alpha males do. And you weren't part of the conversation. In regards to Taurus, I've never made that statement which makes you dishonest, again. In regards to Glocks, I've been a member here since the beginning and am well known for speaking to Glock's strengths and their weaknesses, so your little continued tantrums don't amount to squat. Go away and let the adults in the room talk. And for the love of pete, don't start whining again that I'm being mean to you and play the victim. Don't go away mad...just go away.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,370 Posts
Hey genius, that's one of my buddies I use to work with. We rib each other because that's what alpha males do. And you weren't part of the conversation. In regards to Taurus, I've never made that statement which makes you dishonest, again. In regards to Glocks, I've been a member here since the beginning and am well known for speaking to Glock's strengths and their weaknesses, so your little continued tantrums don't amount to squat. Go away and let the adults in the room talk. And for the love of pete, don't start whining again that I'm being mean to you and play the victim. Don't go away mad...just go away.
I don't wanna drag this out again, and I don't want to keep arguing. But, you like to be nasty, and others have clearly pointed out the way you act on here. So, no need to get into that. My record on this forum speaks for itself, so I am not playing your games again.

If you leave me alone, I will leave you alone... This is going on forever

1 - 20 of 42 Posts